Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Basketball Signing day
Bookmark and Share
Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
Basketball Signing day
San Marcos, Texas – The Texas State men's basketball team announced the signing of four players to National Letters of Intent for next season. The Bobcats will welcome junior college players, Ethan Montalvo, Cameron Naylor and JaMarcus Weatherspoon. Current San Jose State guard D.J. Brown will graduate in May and be eligible to join the Bobcats on the court for next season as well.

"I expect all four of these players to vie for starting positions and get considerable minutes in their first year with us," said Texas State head coach Danny Kaspar.

Ethan Montalvo comes to the Bobcats from Omaha, Neb. He played his junior college ball at North Platte Community College outside Omaha, where he averaged 19 points, three assists, three rebounds and two steals per game. His career-game included a 40 point performance and later a 27 point performance against the No. 1 JUCO team in the country at the time, Iowa Western. During his two seasons there, North Platte went 57-11.

"Ethan Montalvo is a combo guard that is primarily a shooting guard but has played a lot of minutes at point guard for his high school and junior college team," Kaspar said. "He comes from a very well coached and disciplined program. Ethan is a qualifier out of high school that has the ability academically to get his degree here in a two-year period. He can really shoot the ball well and was a good leader for North Platte that made the national tournament his freshman year. He has had several 30 point games this year in junior college and even scored 40 in one game."

http://youtu.be/4PraB5vrScc

JaMarcus Weatherspoon comes to San Marcos from Kilgore Junior College in east Texas. He is originally from Baton Rouge, La. Weatherspoon averaged 13.4 points per game this season in 31 games played in which he started 20 of them. He was an 81.0 percent free throw shooter, giving the Bobcats a great finisher at the line. Kilgore finished the season 25-6 and advanced to the Region XIV semifinals.

"We're very excited about JaMarcus Weatherspoon signing with us," Kaspar said. "He is a 6-5 small forward who is very aggressive player both offensively and defensively. He has very good leadership skills as well as a very competitive nature. JaMarcus brings us something we did not have last year, and that is the ability to take the ball to the hole and get fouled and complete the play. He is a great get for us."

Cameron Naylor is a 6-7 forward who will be a swing player between the small forward and power forward positions. He will play in Texas after spending his entire career in Florida, with his hometown being Jacksonville, Fla. He first went to the University of North Florida as a freshman before transferring to Tallahassee Community College. His best game was a 30 point, 12 rebound performance this season in which he was 11-of-18 from the field and 8-of-9 from the free throw line. The game was one of three double-digit rebound contests this season. For his efforts he was named First-Team All-Conference following the year.

"Cameron Naylor is a first-team all-conference player from the Pan Handle Conference," Kaspar said. "That conference is one of the best junior college conferences in the country. Cameron can play the "3" and "4". He can really move his feet and guard the basketball. He is a good athlete that has a good mid range game. We want to get him stronger in the weight room, and that is something we can easily do. I'm very excited about his signing with us."

(only 1 play but a sweet dunk) http://youtu.be/QUCKRXCgLJ4

D.J. Brown comes to the Sun Belt Conference after splitting his last three years between the WAC and Mountain West at San Jose State. In 2012-13 he started 28 games with the Spartans, averaging 9.2 points, 3.3 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game. He led the team in assists with 107 and led the team in scoring with a season-best 24 points against Houston. He is from Pasadena, Calif., and is not entirely unfamiliar with San Marcos after playing the Bobcats in 2012-13 when Texas State was in the WAC. In the game in San Marcos, Brown scored eight points, had four rebounds and two assists leading the Spartans to a win in the WAC season opener on Dec. 29, 2012.

"Brown is a transfer from San Jose State that will graduate in May and have only one year with us," Kaspar said. "In his short visit with us on campus I was impressed with his intelligence. He has a presence about him that says I'm a leader and I want to win. He has a great basketball I.Q. and great floor vision and is a good shooter from point guard spot. He will be bring a wealth of experience from the point guard spot. I normally do not take four-year transfers but in this case I felt like the gamble was worth it."

The group joins Jonathan Wiley (6-5 SG) and Austin Evans (6-11 F) who each signed with the Bobcats in the fall and will be freshmen next season.

Wiley- no idividual footage only entire St. Pius X games
Evans- http://youtu.be/g09jeLnip54 7 footers are awesome
04-17-2014 01:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
Basketball Signing day - Godzilla - 04-17-2014 01:51 PM
RE: Basketball Signing day - chiefsfan - 04-17-2014, 01:56 PM
RE: Basketball Signing day - OsageJ - 04-17-2014, 04:45 PM
RE: Basketball Signing day - chiefsfan - 04-17-2014, 05:20 PM
RE: Basketball Signing day - CajunAmos - 04-17-2014, 05:02 PM
RE: Basketball Signing day - CrazyCajun - 04-17-2014, 10:50 PM
RE: Basketball Signing day - trojanbrutha - 04-18-2014, 11:38 AM
RE: Basketball Signing day - Colonels12 - 04-22-2014, 02:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.