Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite
Bookmark and Share
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite
(04-10-2014 09:35 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  I am inclined to agree that if we add this year it will be in May. I guess JMU if they join will not announce until the mid-late part of May. So another month of speculation. All I know is that our AD, T. Kleinlein has publicly said the Sun Belt has voted to expand and that it was a goal to have a 12th fb playing member by June 1.

I have no sources and limited insight. But it seems to me that this is the one confirmed fact about this whole situation: the conference wants a 12th football-playing member. All the rest is rumor and conjecture.

With that in mind, I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that the conference will do exactly that, and nothing more: add a single new school to bring the number of football-playing members to 12. I expect the invitee to be JMU or, if JMU says no, EKU.

I view EKU rather than Liberty as the most likely fallback choice for several reasons. It's in the right geographic location. It has a winning football tradition and a 22,000-seat stadium it filled to capacity 10 years ago and therefore has proven potential to fill again. EKU's basketball team is coming off an OVC championship and NCAA tournament appearance. The school is a good academic and institutional fit in the SBC, and doesn't bring the political baggage Liberty would.

As for MSU, I don't see any reason to invite the Bears right now. The conference already has six western football members. MSU's stadium seats only 16,300 and there's no approved plan or funding to expand it (the current renovation will replace seats but not add any). And no one else is likely to invite MSU to move up, so what's the hurry? Better to wait a couple of years and then decide whether the Bears have advanced enough to bring them in and push Idaho out.
04-11-2014 01:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - HawaiiMongoose - 04-11-2014 01:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.