Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Time for tie-ins in G5 Bowls to get an overhaul.
Bookmark and Share
NewJersey GATA Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
RE: Time for tie-ins in G5 Bowls to get an overhaul.
https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/c...1.12784796

Here's an update of all the bowls this season. They also have numbers for the previous season as well.

Looking at this, 20k - 25k is the average. Some more and some less. I'm not sure if these numbers are attendance (actual butts in seats) or tickets sold.

After watching a few games this season, I will say it is depressing viewing a game in an empty stadium.
12-28-2017 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
APPrising Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(12-28-2017 09:52 AM)NewJersey GATA Wrote:  https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/c...1.12784796

Here's an update of all the bowls this season. They also have numbers for the previous season as well.

Looking at this, 20k - 25k is the average. Some more and some less. I'm not sure if these numbers are attendance (actual butts in seats) or tickets sold.

After watching a few games this season, I will say it is depressing viewing a game in an empty stadium.

I think it is tickets sold, not butts in seats. I'd say butts in seats would be 50%-75% of that number.
12-28-2017 10:27 AM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
(12-27-2017 07:45 PM)TechRocks Wrote:  
(12-27-2017 07:36 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  Every time I read about the SBC bowl season....I think, "thanks ark state, you ruined it." TV announcers love talking about "perfect something" lol....the conference could've gotten some free publicity

Crapping the bowl bed seems to be what they do best, and they do it on national TV.
Thrashed UCF, beat a ranked Kent State team and Ball State in bowls recently. Ruined Troy's season in 2016 and App's in 2015 with sound beatings. All of those on national TV. Yes, we had a very bad second half against Tech two years ago but that is far from the only nationally televised game in recent years.
12-28-2017 10:44 AM
NewJersey GATA Offline
1st String

(12-28-2017 10:27 AM)APPrising Wrote:  
(12-28-2017 09:52 AM)NewJersey GATA Wrote:  https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/c...1.12784796

I think it is tickets sold, not butts in seats. I'd say butts in seats would be 50%-75% of that number.

If that is the case, many of these bowls stadiums seating capacity only need to be 15 - 18k. Would love to see Savannah and Georgia Southern do something jointly with Armstrong Atlantic fields in the near future.

City of Savannah would be a great destination for fans. Unfortunately, it's most likely just a pipe dream.
12-28-2017 11:07 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I understand why the Belt has the AZ Bowl tie-in, to allow a SBC/MWC match up. But that bowl game is completely out of our conference footprint now. When the bowl moratorium is lifted and South Carolina gets their bowl game that they've been wanting for years it'll be in the conference's best interest to release the AZ Bowl tie-in for one it.
12-28-2017 11:27 AM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(12-28-2017 11:07 AM)NewJersey GATA Wrote:  

If that is the case, many of these bowls stadiums seating capacity only need to be 15 - 18k. Would love to see Savannah and Georgia Southern do something jointly with Armstrong Atlantic fields in the near future.

City of Savannah would be a great destination for fans. Unfortunately, it's most likely just a pipe dream.

No, that's not true. Even if only 10-15k show up, you have to have seats for everyone that buys a ticket whether or not they show up.

You can't sell 25k tickets for a 15k seat stadium. It isn't like an airplane where the airline can over sell a flight.

So if you want to maximize revenue, then you're going to have stadiums that are partially empty until you find a way to close the gap between paid and actual attendance.

Because sponsors won't give up the additional ticket revenue just so the bowl "looks" better attended in a smaller stadium.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 01:19 PM by CoastalAlum2011.)
12-28-2017 11:28 AM
NewJersey GATA Offline
1st String

(12-28-2017 11:28 AM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  

No, that's not true. Even if only 10-15k show up, you have to have seats for everyone that buys a ticket whether or not they show up.

You can't sell 25k tickets for a 15k seat stadium. It isn't like an airplane where the airline can over sell a flight.

So if you want to maximize revenue, then you're going to have stadiums that are partially empty until you find a way to close the gap between paid and actual attendance.

Because sponsors won't give up the additional ticket revenue just so the bow "looks" better attended in a smaller stadium.

Unless you have grass and lawn seats.

You also want to make it a hot ticket. If fans know there is limiting seating, they'll be more inclined to purchase their tickets earlier. Limiting seating shouldn't be an issue with these bowl games.
12-28-2017 12:57 PM
Limebull Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USF/Alabama
Hmmm... maybe because the AAC is 31-7 against the G4 during the regular season. Also, Temple is not one of the AAC's top teams and USF is the 3rd best team (behind Memphis and ucf). Our bowl record is bad because the best teams of the G4 play the middle of the pack AAC teams, and mostly without their coaches. This is because the best AAC teams are always playing P5 teams during bowl season. Pretending that the Sunbelt is on the same level as the AAC is a joke. But I also think some Sunbelt teams deserve better bowls, like Troy.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 01:05 PM by Limebull.)
12-28-2017 01:03 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(12-28-2017 01:03 PM)Limebull Wrote:  Hmmm... maybe because the AAC is 31-7 against the G4 during the regular season. Also, Temple is not one of the AAC's top teams and USF is the 3rd best team (behind Memphis and ucf). Our bowl record is bad because the best teams of the G4 play the middle of the pack AAC teams, and mostly without their coaches. This is because the best AAC teams are always playing P5 teams during bowl season. Pretending that the Sunbelt is on the same level as the AAC is a joke. But I also think some Sunbelt teams deserve better bowls, like Troy.

Then why are you here? An expert huh. Lol shoo. You or your opinion is not needed. Lol P6....Lol....joke of the NCAA.
12-28-2017 01:08 PM
Limebull Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USF/Alabama
(12-28-2017 01:08 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  
(12-28-2017 01:03 PM)Limebull Wrote:  Hmmm... maybe because the AAC is 31-7 against the G4 during the regular season. Also, Temple is not one of the AAC's top teams and USF is the 3rd best team (behind Memphis and ucf). Our bowl record is bad because the best teams of the G4 play the middle of the pack AAC teams, and mostly without their coaches. This is because the best AAC teams are always playing P5 teams during bowl season. Pretending that the Sunbelt is on the same level as the AAC is a joke. But I also think some Sunbelt teams deserve better bowls, like Troy.

Then why are you here? An expert huh. Lol shoo. You or your opinion is not needed. Lol P6....Lol....joke of the NCAA.
You know im right tho 03-wink
12-28-2017 01:11 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

Depends on the year. Last year the AAC Champ was a chump.
12-28-2017 01:14 PM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles

You would see Charleston get a bowl game way before Savannah. Sorry, but Savannah can't hold a candle to Charleston as a destination city. Also, Charleston has more of a head start in trying to get a bowl and it almost happened a couple years ago before they put a stop to bowl expansion.

A lot of these bowl venues hold 30K+, I think the smallest is one of the SBC's.
12-29-2017 09:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.