EKUSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
RE: Heard EKU has applied for membership
(04-22-2014 11:12 PM)ARSTATEFAN1986 Wrote:  
(04-22-2014 09:04 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  EKU average attendance 8,617
liberty. 15,031
Jax St. 15,841

I definitely prefer EKU to JSU or Liberty...not even close.

Since 2000 the largest crowds for EKU home games have been for:

WKU (can't play at home at this point due to different levels of football)
Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina
Jacksonville State

We'll draw over 10K for EIU.

The real issue is who we play. Most of our rivals are gone from the conference (WKU, Middle) and with others moving up, there is not a ton of interest in SEMO, UT-Martin, etc. Nothing against those schools, just it doesn't excite the fan base.
04-23-2014 07:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(04-23-2014 07:11 AM)EKUSteve Wrote:  
(04-22-2014 11:12 PM)ARSTATEFAN1986 Wrote:  
(04-22-2014 09:04 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  EKU average attendance 8,617
liberty. 15,031
Jax St. 15,841

I definitely prefer EKU to JSU or Liberty...not even close.

Since 2000 the largest crowds for EKU home games have been for:

WKU (can't play at home at this point due to different levels of football)
Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina
Jacksonville State

We'll draw over 10K for EIU.

The real issue is who we play. Most of our rivals are gone from the conference (WKU, Middle) and with others moving up, there is not a ton of interest in SEMO, UT-Martin, etc. Nothing against those schools, just it doesn't excite the fan base.

those eku numbers would be good in the mac
04-23-2014 07:13 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
(04-23-2014 06:48 AM)LexColonel Wrote:  
(04-22-2014 10:59 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Says in CFD that 2009 was WKU first year in SB.

I do know there was talk 7-8 years before WKU actually transitioned to FBS. And of course an official announcement they were moving to the SB several years prior to 2009. Looking at attendance (see prior post) a number of years prior to a solid announcement there was little difference in EKU/WKU attendance numbers. In 2005 where their attendance jumped some at WKU some.......guess who came to Bowling Green that year? You guessed it. EKU. I didn't have time to look numbers up this morning, but I would bet that was their largest crowd in 2005.. Always was for both teams over the many years we played each other.
Now, as far as comparing what may happen at EKU as compared Western. That's a guess. I do remember one year that WKU football players went door to door in Bowling Green asking residents to buy tickets for games. So it was not all that easy in BG as they might have us believe. I am sure EKU will have to have a major plan for re engaging fans and alumni. I would imagine that the athletic administration realizes this as necessary as part of a move.

Where has any WKU fan said it was easy to move to FBS? That is why our plan was in place 10 years prior before we even moved up to FBS....Sorry but have a heard time beleiving EKU can get all of this done in 1 year and be in FBS....If you do, you will have years of struggle before you can be competative and may be the new "Eastern Michigan" of FBS.....That is what most WKU fans are saying, is you cannot rush up to FBS without the proper structure in place....Seems to me EKU is on Turbo without any gas is all....Maybe in 4 or 5 years, EKU can have eveything together but no way they are ready for FBS right now....

As far as players in Kentucky in footbal,l its getting better, but no where near other states as far as producing talent....WKU has a stronghold over the Louisville area so not sure how many solid FBS prospects EKU could get every year..Does not seem Lexington produces a lot of football talent etiher.....ALso OHIO is now UK's terriotry not sure how many leftovers you could pluck every year from Ohio...Georiga and Florida, everyone is trying to get players from there........And looks like they may raise the Power conf. teams scholarships from 85 to 95, if they do that, we will all struggle finding talent..
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2014 07:46 AM by WKUFan518.)
04-23-2014 07:45 AM
DawggoneEagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Heard EKU has applied for membership
Having bigger programs in town will draw bigger crowds, App. instead of Austin Pea, Georgia Southern instead of UT-Martin, Troy instead of Tenn-Tech, etc. Arkansas State instead of JSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-23-2014 10:47 AM
LexColonel Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EKU, Louisville, NAVY
Sorry WKU, maybe a poor choice of words. Exactly my point about a message board. Wrong choice of words misconstrue what someone may be trying to say. I certainly would never want to offend a Hilltopper.03-lmfao
04-23-2014 11:36 AM
eku50 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: EKU
(04-23-2014 10:47 AM)DawggoneEagle Wrote:  Having bigger programs in town will draw bigger crowds, App. instead of Austin Pea, Georgia Southern instead of UT-Martin, Troy instead of Tenn-Tech, etc. Arkansas State instead of JSU.

I'm a huge fan, Alum and former player and I have a hard time to make it out to SEMO, UT-Martin, Tenn Tech, etc.
A perfect example of this is with our basketball team. Our crowds against Belmont, Morehead, Murray are 3-4 times bigger then our crowds for UT-Martin, Tenn Tech, SEMO.
For the majority of fans and students they want to know who the schools are that you are playing. EKU has lost that with the loss of Marshall, WKU, MTSU to the FBS, and like I said earlier if we lose Jax St. then we better find another conference whether that's the Sunbelt or Wherever.
04-23-2014 01:12 PM
EKUSteve Offline
1st String

(04-23-2014 01:12 PM)eku50 Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 10:47 AM)DawggoneEagle Wrote:  Having bigger programs in town will draw bigger crowds, App. instead of Austin Pea, Georgia Southern instead of UT-Martin, Troy instead of Tenn-Tech, etc. Arkansas State instead of JSU.

I'm a huge fan, Alum and former player and I have a hard time to make it out to SEMO, UT-Martin, Tenn Tech, etc.
A perfect example of this is with our basketball team. Our crowds against Belmont, Morehead, Murray are 3-4 times bigger then our crowds for UT-Martin, Tenn Tech, SEMO.
For the majority of fans and students they want to know who the schools are that you are playing. EKU has lost that with the loss of Marshall, WKU, MTSU to the FBS, and like I said earlier if we lose Jax St. then we better find another conference whether that's the Sunbelt or Wherever.

Exactly.

When did you play?
04-23-2014 01:15 PM
eku50 Offline
Water Engineer

(04-23-2014 01:15 PM)EKUSteve Wrote:  

Exactly.

When did you play?

1996-2000. I then got my masters and helped out in the weight room.
04-23-2014 01:19 PM
EKUSteve Offline
1st String

(04-23-2014 01:19 PM)eku50 Wrote:  

Exactly.

When did you play?

OK. Didn't get to see you play as I was in the UK followed by Washington State with Army assignments.

I'm hoping this happens as opposed to that professor who thought we should "expand sports by going to Div III".. Sheeeeesh....
04-23-2014 01:22 PM
eku50 Offline
Water Engineer

(04-23-2014 01:22 PM)EKUSteve Wrote:  

Exactly.

When did you play?

OK. Didn't get to see you play as I was in the UK followed by Washington State with Army assignments.

I'm hoping this happens as opposed to that professor who thought we should "expand sports by going to Div III".. Sheeeeesh....

That was the best part of the presentation though. President Benson just kinda paused and couldn't believe what he was hearing. Then the lady stood up and corrected that professor. I would of LOVED to see that guy get out and try to coach football so he could then complain about the hours and commitment.
04-23-2014 01:28 PM
EKUSteve Offline
1st String

(04-23-2014 01:28 PM)eku50 Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 01:12 PM)eku50 Wrote:  I'm a huge fan, Alum and former player and I have a hard time to make it out to SEMO, UT-Martin, Tenn Tech, etc.

Exactly.

When did you play?

That was the best part of the presentation though. President Benson just kinda paused and couldn't believe what he was hearing. Then the lady stood up and corrected that professor. I would of LOVED to see that guy get out and try to coach football so he could then complain about the hours and commitment.

He also put it in a letter to the editor in the Progress.
04-23-2014 01:29 PM
eku50 Offline
Water Engineer

(04-23-2014 01:29 PM)EKUSteve Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 01:15 PM)EKUSteve Wrote:  Exactly.

When did you play?

He also put it in a letter to the editor in the Progress.
That's a good way to get on the Presidents good side...I'm surprised he had time to put in a letter to the Progress. 20 hours a week teaching the same stuff you've taught for 15 years must really take it out of ya.
04-23-2014 01:33 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU

I live in Owensboro Ky about 70 miles away from Western...before we moved up I would maybe make the drive 2 times a year and never (maybe a couple in last 5 years of fcs) a road football game.

Now I can't see myself ever missing a WKU football...home or away. The only game I didn't travel to over the past 3 years was @LSU (3 years ago). We schedule doctor visits and even surgery around the WKU football schedule. So moving up will make a difference in attendance.
04-23-2014 01:40 PM
eku50 Offline
Water Engineer

(04-23-2014 01:40 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  

I live in Owensboro Ky about 70 miles away from Western...before we moved up I would maybe make the drive 2 times a year and never (maybe a couple in last 5 years of fcs) a road football game.

Now I can't see myself ever missing a WKU football...home or away. The only game I didn't travel to over the past 3 years was @LSU (3 years ago). We schedule doctor visits and even surgery around the WKU football schedule. So moving up will make a difference in attendance.
I'm getting ready to move to Atlanta and I'm still going to make it back to KY for every home game. But it would be great to be able to go to games at GA State, App State, GA Southern, S. Alabama, etc. So I'm hoping the Sunbelt will take into consideration how much better they could make my football watching life. LOL!
And believe me I will make sure I postpone about anything going on in my life to watch EKU vs WKU again. Those games get pretty intense.
04-23-2014 01:53 PM
Colonels12 Offline
Water Engineer

(04-23-2014 01:12 PM)eku50 Wrote:  I'm a huge fan, Alum and former player and I have a hard time to make it out to SEMO, UT-Martin, Tenn Tech, etc.

Exactly.

When did you play?

I had him as a professor my freshman year. He would constantly brag about being a Yale Bulldog. Every test we had would feature one question about Yale sports, which he covered daily. He would also compare bad guys in history to Harvard.
04-23-2014 02:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.