Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Commissioner Benson interviewed again at Ga. Southern baseball game (4/12)
Bookmark and Share
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
I thought it was a good interview at baseball game today. Here is what he said, starting with stuff about Ga. Southern:

1. Glad to have Ga. Southern in Sun Belt.
2. Very impressed by several of Ga. Southern facilities---Paulson Staduim improvements, golf facility and baseball stadium were the ones he named. Wonder why no mention of our basketball facility :)
3. Said he could easily see Sun Belt baseball tourney in Statesboro in coming years. He said Ga. Southern was no doubt in the top 3-4 baseball facilities in the Sun Belt.

Other things:
1. Sun Belt is looking for a 12th football playing school. He specifically said 1 school, not any plan to add multiple schools. Again repeated his stance that the school needs to be in the East and a traveling partner for App. St.
2. Said next year for sure Belt would play with 11 (we already knew this) but conference wanted and planned to have 12 by July 1 of next year (which means they have to commit by June 1 of this year).
3. When asked about specific schools he made some comment that eastern schools were being looked at but would not name them.
4. Said we needed a championship game and it would bring more attention to the league.
5. Said baseball and softball were 2 sports the Sun Belt has done very well and Ga. Southern should be a great addition in those 2 sports as well as in football.

Then he talked about his time as a baseball coach early in his career before he got into administration.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2014 06:48 PM by GaSoEagle.)
04-12-2014 06:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
RE: Commissioner Benson interviewed again at Ga. Southern baseball game (4/12)
Thanks for the details.04-cheers
04-12-2014 07:08 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
So basically, he sucked up to Georgia Southern, and claimed we were wanting to add a travel partner for App State?

Meaning, nothing we didn't already know.
04-12-2014 07:17 PM
Check Yosef Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Yea, pretty useless interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-12-2014 07:19 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
sounds like either JMU or Liberty for the #12 spot
04-12-2014 07:23 PM
Liberty Fan Offline
Under The Radar

I Root For: Flames
04-12-2014 07:26 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(04-12-2014 07:23 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  sounds like either JMU or Liberty for the #12 spot

That's what Benson wants. What he gets is another question.
04-12-2014 07:28 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
Truly surprised he didn't say that Georgia Southern could be the next Boise.
04-12-2014 07:29 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(04-12-2014 07:29 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  Truly surprised he didn't say that Georgia Southern could be the next Boise.

He did compare their 2nd deck to Boise's...
04-12-2014 07:35 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
Why does a travel partner help APP ST does it not help teams traveling to APP ST . Hitting two schools on a weekend for better travel cost . Fly in bus to the second fly back for example .

APP ST and Georgia Southern are lucky they are moving with their biggest rival . That has to be a big help for both programs.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2014 07:40 PM by MJG.)
04-12-2014 07:38 PM
bamaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
Benson just donated 2 college football playoff tickets to auction off at our auction for our football fund. He's a winner in my book.
04-12-2014 07:40 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(04-12-2014 07:40 PM)bamaEagle Wrote:  Benson just donated 2 college football playoff tickets to auction off at our auction for our football fund. He's a winner in my book.

03-lmfao
04-12-2014 07:49 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(04-12-2014 07:40 PM)bamaEagle Wrote:  Benson just donated 2 college football playoff tickets to auction off at our auction for our football fund. He's a winner in my book.

Did he turn around and bid on them himself?
04-12-2014 07:53 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(04-12-2014 07:53 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Did he turn around and bid on them himself?

He probably put them in a safe only he knows the combination to.
04-12-2014 07:54 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

You guys have to understand that Benson has done nothing negative toward Ga.Southern. He was a strong proponent of us getting in this conference and is seen here as a good commissioner. What he says about needing another eastern team to complete the 6 team eastern division is very well received here.

Granted we are not even in the conference yet (July 1) but at this point I would say Ga. Southern officials are certainly not against Commissioner Benson at this point.

And by the way I have no doubt at all that Ga. Southern officials would support Missouri St. in the Belt and Idaho shown the door.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2014 08:34 PM by GaSoEagle.)
04-12-2014 08:31 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(04-12-2014 08:31 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  You guys have to understand that Benson has done nothing negative toward Ga.Southern. He was a strong proponent of us getting in this conference and is seen here as a good commissioner. What he says about needing another eastern team to complete the 6 team eastern division is very well received here.

Granted we are not even in the conference yet (July 1) but at this point I would say Ga. Southern officials are certainly not against Commissioner Benson at this point.

And by the way I have no doubt at all that Ga. Southern officials would support Missouri St. in the Belt and Idaho shown the door.

And what you have to understand is that Georgia Southern (as well as App) were no brainers to invite. He didn't unearth a hidden gem in you guys. He took the obvious choice.

But look deeper to his failures in the WAC, and his actions there to see why folks are down on him.
04-12-2014 08:43 PM
Advertisement

GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I think the best course of action for the Sun Belt in expansion would be to bring in JMU and Missouri St. and have Idaho exit at the earliest point we can. Then I would bring in NMSU in all sports. That eventually gets to 12 football schools (a nice east/west split) and 14 teams in olympic sports.

However if you listen to Benson he seems to envision a much more limited expansion by simply bringing in a eastern all sports school. JMU is obviously at the top of the wish list.

The conference will have some decisions to make if JMU says "no thanks" yet again and I believe at best we have a 50/50 shot of getting JMU in all sports. If the Belt is simply going to bring in 1 eastern school and JMU says no then I guess the decision is whether or not to bring in Liberty or go for Eastern Kentucky or Jacksonville St. Going for EKU or Jacksonville St. may mean waiting another year to get a championship game but we may soon have an answer to the question of whether or not Liberty has or can get the votes.

Benson seems determined to have a 12 FB school by June 1 and the clock is ticking.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2014 08:56 PM by GaSoEagle.)
04-12-2014 08:55 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
What could he have done differently? My understanding is that he was working on a plan to poach some MWC schools and a WAC school went around the commish, told some other schools the plan and they got in the MWC and the WAC was left hoding the bag. If you are referencing expanding to 16, that was in the '90's and near irrelevant to his performance today.
04-12-2014 09:11 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(04-12-2014 08:43 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 08:31 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  You guys have to understand that Benson has done nothing negative toward Ga.Southern. He was a strong proponent of us getting in this conference and is seen here as a good commissioner. What he says about needing another eastern team to complete the 6 team eastern division is very well received here.

And what you have to understand is that Georgia Southern (as well as App) were no brainers to invite. He didn't unearth a hidden gem in you guys. He took the obvious choice.

But look deeper to his failures in the WAC, and his actions there to see why folks are down on him.

And the yellow shirt. You forgot the yellow shirt.
04-12-2014 10:08 PM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
No need to wait a year on Jax St.
We're way ahead of EKU in the moving up business. We lack renovating our arena, which im sure would be done immediately upon an invite.
we have the stadium, have upgraded our softball field, and are currently involved in upgrading our baseball and tennis facilities. Our arena is waiting on the word of a move, there is some talk of renovating the Pete and some talk of building a new arena.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2014 10:23 PM by cleburneslim.)
04-12-2014 10:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.