Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite
Bookmark and Share
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite
JMU is 50% at best to accept. The president of JMU has made some less than flattering comments about the belt.
04-09-2014 09:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
asupatch Offline
2nd String

I Root For: APPY STATE!!
(04-09-2014 09:06 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  JMU is 50% at best to accept. The president of JMU has made some less than flattering comments about the belt.

So did our AD and when it comes down to FBS or FCS you make the jump. JMU is using the SBC as the fall back.
04-09-2014 09:08 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
Well if JMU rejects this offer it will be interesting to see if Liberty is just substituted for them or the whole plan is blown up and time to start over with a new plan.
04-09-2014 09:09 PM
jmu98 Online
All American

I Root For: JMU
(04-09-2014 09:06 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  JMU is 50% at best to accept. The president of JMU has made some less than flattering comments about the belt.

Not saying you are wrong on the %, but when has Alger ever said anything disparaging in regards to the SBC?

Also, 50% is way higher than 0%, which was what has been said about the chance of JMU going to the Belt.

I am torn on the subject myself, but if I was making the decision and there were no other openings I would pull the trigger.
04-09-2014 09:09 PM
PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes

Your percentage may not be off (or may actually be a bit high), but that second part is flat wrong. Some JMU message board posters, boosters, and fans have said less than flattering things about SB, and so have some of the media members that cover JMU and listen to said folks, but our President, who was just inaugurated last summer, hasn't said anything negative about any of the conferences JMU has realistic aspirations of joining.
04-09-2014 09:11 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

JMU will regret turning down this offer if they choose to do that. Who cares of JMU fans have said disparaging things in the past about the Sun Belt. The former Ga. Southern AD referred to the Sun Belt at one point as a "bush league that we would have no interest in." Things changed. Our new AD is very excited for us to be a member.

I really believe JMU fans would be excited about playing football games vs. Sun Belt schools.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 09:14 PM by GaSoEagle.)
04-09-2014 09:12 PM
MRD92 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU

Let's see a quote. At no point did Alger say anything regarding a specific conference. Did he make some generalized comments regarding some potential conferences? Yes.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 09:13 PM by MRD92.)
04-09-2014 09:13 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES

Nobody at JMU has said ANYTHING about the belt publicly/on the record. There have been numerous liberty and ODU fans spouting BS. Welcome to the club.
04-09-2014 09:14 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
About New Mexico State -- why weren't they invited as all-sports members when they got the football invite? Or were they and they rejected it?

If the latter, has the environment changed enough to make them reverse themselves? Or is this a gambit similiar to the UMass/MAC deal where the invite is issued as a way to force them into an all in-or-fold situation?

I can definitely see why the Sun Belt wants New Mexico State basketball. But why didn't it already happen?
04-09-2014 09:15 PM
Klak Offline
1st String

(04-09-2014 09:15 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  About New Mexico State -- why weren't they invited as all-sports members when they got the football invite? Or were they and they rejected it?

If the latter, has the environment changed enough to make them reverse themselves? Or is this a gambit similiar to the UMass/MAC deal where the invite is issued as a way to force them into an all in-or-fold situation?

I can definitely see why the Sun Belt wants New Mexico State basketball. But why didn't it already happen?

The rumor is that schools in the east, led by WKU didn't want NMSU for all sports. That was before App and GS were in, and now WKU is out. From what I've heard on the GS end, NMSU all-sports would be a go now.
04-09-2014 09:16 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
(04-09-2014 09:15 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  About New Mexico State -- why weren't they invited as all-sports members when they got the football invite? Or were they and they rejected it?

I think NMSU wanted an all-sports invite but the eastern schools rejected them and want to get a travel partner for App State.
04-09-2014 09:17 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

NMSU was not offered an all sports invite. They wanted it but all the Belt offered last year was football only. If JMU and Missouri St. accept all sports invites NMSU would be very happy because their all sports invite will be coming, probably in 2 years after Idaho leaves the Belt.

This plan to being in Missouri St. and JMU in all sports and expel Idaho and bring in NMSU in all sports is a compromise -- the eastern and western schools get something they want.

Now we wait to see if JMU and Missouri St. will accept.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 09:19 PM by GaSoEagle.)
04-09-2014 09:17 PM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I apologize if I'm wrong, but I remember reading on the JMU board that during one of his talking tours he stated and I paraphrase the teams we would be playing are no better than the current teams we play. I do find it's safe to say that IF JMU accepts the invite they come in to the SB with their nose pinched.
04-09-2014 09:18 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(04-09-2014 09:12 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  JMU will regret turning down this offer if they choose to do that. Who cares of JMU fans have said disparaging things in the past about the Sun Belt. The former Ga. Southern AD referred to the Sun Belt at one point as a "bush league that we would have no interest in." Things changed. Our new AD is very excited for us to be a member.

I really believe JMU fans would be excited about playing football games vs. Sun Belt schools.

It would be like the FCS playoffs every Saturday of the week...

03-lmfao
04-09-2014 09:19 PM
AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State

Please, JMU all but accepted two weeks ago when UMass told MAC bye and the MAC told JMU they were staying at 12. Friday's vote BOT at JMU is a formality. I heard a JMU reporter in know on the radio two weeks ago that JMU would be "following App State and accepting the offer on the table" or something to that effect. It sounded like speculation at the time, but maybe it wasn't.
04-09-2014 09:19 PM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

(04-09-2014 09:13 PM)MRD92 Wrote:  

Let's see a quote. At no point did Alger say anything regarding a specific conference. Did he make some generalized comments regarding some potential conferences? Yes.

Ha, so who do you think he's referring to? the SEC? I asked that in all seriousness. Who was he referring to?
04-09-2014 09:21 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(04-09-2014 09:16 PM)Klak Wrote:  

The rumor is that schools in the east, led by WKU didn't want NMSU for all sports. That was before App and GS were in, and now WKU is out. From what I've heard on the GS end, NMSU all-sports would be a go now.

That stands to reason. With a pod setup, New Mexico State would be a once-every-two-years trip for the easternmost schools.
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
(04-09-2014 09:18 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  I apologize if I'm wrong, but I remember reading on the JMU board that during one of his talking tours he stated and I paraphrase the teams we would be playing are no better than the current teams we play. I do find it's safe to say that IF JMU accepts the invite they come in to the SB with their nose pinched.

He said something like that to the faculty senate. Academically, the CAA is probably a top 5-6 conference, so keep in mind the audience when assessing that statement.
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

Apparently for JMU to get an invite the western schools insisted on Missouri St. getting an invite too. This is a compromise that both sides can live with. I hope it happens.
04-09-2014 09:22 PM
MSUBear42 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THUNDERStruck73
Re: RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite
(04-09-2014 08:35 PM)Klak Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 08:35 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  "@MatthewStoss: Was just asked about JMU getting a Sun Belt invite: I'm told there is, at the moment, no invite."

"@MatthewStoss: From what I've heard, JMU views the Sun Belt as a safety net."

Those are from JMU's football beat reporter.

Georgia Southern had "no invite" until the press conference. Just saying.

And technically our comment from administrators is that we 'have still not received an offer'

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
04-09-2014 09:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.