Will JMU wait for MAC invite?
Bookmark and Share
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas State
http://www.hustlebelt.com/2014/4/2/55397...on-options

JMU doesn't want into the belt!

Will they balk on latest Sun Belt expansion offer?
04-05-2014 09:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
RE: Will JMU wait for MAC invite?
And then there was this:

Liberty:

Another Virginia based school that's been mentioned by some.This move has an almost zero percent chance of happening. First off, not only is Liberty a complete clash with the rest of the MAC in terms of the type of institution it is (private, religious) it's also pretty much locked in as the Sun Belt's newest member. A source close to the Flames' athletic director tells me the deal is pretty much done between the two parties, meaning Liberty could be off the market very soon.

01-lauramac2
04-05-2014 10:06 PM
Beltfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: best of SBC
I've heard that some MAC schools aren't too excited about JMU entering their precious li'l conference.
04-05-2014 10:28 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-05-2014 09:46 PM)ARSTATEFAN1986 Wrote:  http://www.hustlebelt.com/2014/4/2/55397...on-options

JMU doesn't want into the belt!

Will they balk on latest Sun Belt expansion offer?

What on earth is Hustle Belt?
04-05-2014 10:37 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

In regard to JMU either waiting or not waiting on a MAC invite? Who cares. They prefer not to be in the Belt. Humor them.
04-05-2014 10:45 PM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
I believe this article was put in the Liberty thread several days ago. I think the consensus was it is a new fan blog that just threw something up there to get page views (particularly from JMU fans).
This thread should probably join that one.
Again, a few people are taking it personally that JMU hasn't publicly begged for an SBC invitation. It's probably a good idea to remember that they are currently in a conference that it notoriously hard on defectors and they could very possibly be waiting until the spring sports tournaments are through to make any announcements.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2014 10:46 PM by AtlantaJag.)
Advertisement

techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
I think the main reason the MAC pushed UMass out was to get to even number teams because they knew UMass wouldn't bring their basketball
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
This is the same thing the Liberty folks were posting earlier this week... The author of the article has no insider information, he's merely parroting what he thinks Benson is saying.

Benson mentions Liberty a bunch, therefore they are practically in! So no Sun Belt for you, JMU. Also, he noted that JMU was DEFINITELY going FBS, when the president of JMU hasn't said anything. Given that most of the JMU posters are actually a bit worried he's going to wait and do nothing, that doesn't sound like DEFINITELY going FBS.
04-05-2014 10:46 PM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
(04-05-2014 10:45 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  I think the main reason the MAC pushed UMass out was to get to even number teams because they knew UMass wouldn't bring their basketball

I'm certain that's correct.
04-05-2014 10:47 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
Belt don't need no stinkin' new members.
04-05-2014 10:47 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

(04-05-2014 10:46 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  This is the same thing the Liberty folks were posting earlier this week... The author of the article has no insider information, he's merely parroting what he thinks Benson is saying.

Benson mentions Liberty a bunch, therefore they are practically in! So no Sun Belt for you, JMU. Also, he noted that JMU was DEFINITELY going FBS, when the president of JMU hasn't said anything. Given that most of the JMU posters are actually a bit worried he's going to wait and do nothing, that doesn't sound like DEFINITELY going FBS.

And you have insider information?
04-05-2014 11:19 PM
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(04-05-2014 11:19 PM)ARSTATEFAN1986 Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 10:46 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  This is the same thing the Liberty folks were posting earlier this week... The author of the article has no insider information, he's merely parroting what he thinks Benson is saying.

And you have insider information?

More than this guy.
04-06-2014 12:39 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
Athletically Liberty would be fine for the belt plus they bring in great facilities.

Politically not so much...

Best wishes to JMU on your MAC quest!!!
04-06-2014 08:50 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
To heck with JMU if they don't want us we surly don't want them.
Don't want to baby them into joining. They are big boys.
04-06-2014 09:20 AM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
That JMU is definitely going FBS is far from certain; and IMO is has nothing to do with academics, as has been posited ad nauseam by JMU posters over the years.

I believe that the real issue with JMU is money.

According to the State of Virginia 2012:
16% of JMU's tuition and fees were allocated to athletics.
Athletics generated less than 26% of the actual revenue needed to cover expenses.

JMU has an endowment om the low side for a university of it's size and geographic location; 66.978 million.
Much of JMU's older alumni are women, who historically are not big athletic donors.

JMU is located in an extremely small population area, which probably precludes a large quantity of corporate donations.
JMU's location is also problematic when it comes to event attendance from locals who otherwise have no connection to the university.
JMU has lost over 8% per year in football attendance since 2011.

While none of the above issues are unique to JMU nor insurmountable, I believe that the "bean counters", and faculty and staff are very concerned about the efficacy of FBS as it relates to money.

A possible example of JMU's financial anxiety:
The proposed new JMU convo, which was approved for bonds by the Virginia legislature in 2011. This has not been acted upon, and is rapidly approaching a time when the $88 million is no longer an accurate number, which could cause the legislative process to have to be revisited. It has been reported that JMU is now looking for private donations for the convo instead.

I have otherwise no inside information, but in Virginia the "books" of all state institutions are a matter of public record, as are the reports of the Virginia Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2014 09:43 AM by ODUalum78.)
04-06-2014 09:28 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
I have no idea if they are waiting on a MAC invite. That being said, JMU appears to be quite adept at 'waiting'.
04-06-2014 09:30 AM
Advertisement

PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(04-05-2014 10:45 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  I think the main reason the MAC pushed UMass out was to get to even number teams because they knew UMass wouldn't bring their basketball

To me this makes the most sense. It became obvious that UMass would never bring its basketball to the MAC and UMass football added little to what they need since they already had enough for a championship game.
04-06-2014 09:59 AM
SHWISH Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNLV
Why is Liberty a complete clash with MAC schools (private, religious) but not a complete clash with the SBC schools.
04-06-2014 10:15 AM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(04-06-2014 10:15 AM)SHWISH Wrote:  Why is Liberty a complete clash with MAC schools (private, religious) but not a complete clash with the SBC schools.

Bingo!
04-06-2014 10:16 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(04-06-2014 10:15 AM)SHWISH Wrote:  Why is Liberty a complete clash with MAC schools (private, religious) but not a complete clash with the SBC schools.

Because the MAC isn't completely desperate. I don't think we are either.
04-06-2014 10:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.