CSNbbs
CBB FBI probe - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - East Team Talk (/forum-463.html)
+----- Forum: Kent State (/forum-474.html)
+----- Thread: CBB FBI probe (/thread-843721.html)

CBB FBI probe - anti-zip - 02-24-2018 01:28 PM

Thought it's probably worth starting a thread about this. For anyone that hasn't heard yesterday Yahoo released an article about an FBI probe into corruption in college basketball that implicates 20 schools of paying players. The names involved in this are huge. One report is there's a wiretapped phone conversation of Sean Miller discussing a 100k payment to get Ayton (the projecte #1 pick in this draft). Duke, Kentucky, UNC, and Michigan St are among the teams involved. Several of the top players from this year and last year are named. I believe this probe is what cost Rick Pitino his job as well.

It will be really interesting to watch how this all plays out regardless if you're on the side that paying players should be ok or not. As far as Kent goes I've noticed we've made several offers to players recently. I think it would be smart to hold on to at least one scholarship for a bit and see how this thing plays out. There could be a storm of sanctions and players decomitting this spring and while we certainly aren't going to snag a Duke decomit there would be a trickle down affect so having an available scholarship would be wise.

RE: CCB FBI probe - Muskrat - 02-24-2018 04:37 PM

Good post, Anti-Zip. Thanks. I just saw that Miller won't be coaching his team tonight. Nothing surprises me about big-time college sports. There is SO much revenue involved and the coaching compensation is becoming obscene. The pressure for most of those coaches to win and win big is enormous. To me, at that level it really isn't college sports. It's professional in almost every way. The first thing is the NBA should go back to allowing those right out of high school to enter the NBA. That would help some. But, that would only be the first step.

RE: CBB FBI probe - anti-zip - 02-24-2018 08:56 PM

The first big decommitment happened. Shaq's son Shareef is no longer going to Arizona... Not surprising.

RE: CBB FBI probe - burden - 02-24-2018 09:34 PM

There are going to be a lot of big time coaches that who no longer will be ESPN darlings. A lot of reputations will be ruined. It’s a good time to be a fan of a mid major as I doubt any MAC coach will be wire tapped.