CSNbbs
Air Force cancelling all sporting events during the govt shutdown - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Air Force cancelling all sporting events during the govt shutdown (/thread-840664.html)

Air Force cancelling all sporting events during the govt shutdown - Cyniclone - 01-20-2018 03:31 PM

It started with today's men's basketball game vs. Fresno State.

Army and Navy athletics are funded differently enough that they can keep going through the shutdown.

MWC hasn't decided if cancelled games will count as forfeits or if they'll allow Air Force to reschedule.

Air Force cancelling all sporting events during the govt shutdown - Jjoey52 - 01-20-2018 06:00 PM

They could have found volunteers to assist with the home game today, Fresno already there, where is the expense?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Air Force cancelling all sporting events during the govt shutdown - 58-56 - 01-20-2018 06:24 PM

(01-20-2018 06:00 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  They could have found volunteers to assist with the home game today, Fresno already there, where is the expense?

Liability issue?

RE: Air Force cancelling all sporting events during the govt shutdown - Attackcoog - 01-20-2018 07:11 PM

I wonder why. We arent shutting down the military during the shutdown. Did this happen in previous shutdowns?

RE: Air Force cancelling all sporting events during the govt shutdown - arkstfan - 01-20-2018 09:31 PM

(01-20-2018 07:11 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I wonder why. We arent shutting down the military during the shutdown. Did this happen in previous shutdowns?

Yes. A credit union ended up donating a few hundred grand to AFA to prevent them from closing athletics.

Frankly it makes me wonder why the MWC didn't advance their year-end distribution to AFA early to prevent the shut down because conference funds would permit operations for a time.

RE: Air Force cancelling all sporting events during the govt shutdown - msm96wolf - 01-20-2018 11:14 PM

To be honest, this is really non-essential spending. However, I thought athletics were funded differently and why in the world is Navy and Army still playing today? Really makes no sense. These games should be forfeited since the other Military Academies played during the shutdown. Either they all are closed or none. Wait, consistency in government, what am I thinking? 03-wink

RE: Air Force cancelling all sporting events during the govt shutdown - lew240z - 01-21-2018 05:53 AM

The Army and Navy athletic departments are totally privately funded. The Air Force athletic department is partially funded by the DoD. By law, as soon as funding ran out at midnight Friday night, all civilian DoD employees who are not in an excepted position are instantly place in furlough status. Excepted position include law enforcement and security and those position deemed essential/emergency who must report to work but won't get paid during the shut down. Obviously, the coaches and other employees of the athletic department are not emergency/essential. Also, contractors such as providing services such as concessions and janitorial services at the athletic facility are not allowed to report for work because their contracts are suspend until funding is restored.

I know this because I am an emergency/essential employee and I'm currently at work.

RE: Air Force cancelling all sporting events during the govt shutdown - GE and MTS - 01-21-2018 08:30 AM

Air Force to the Big 12 for more money!

RE: Air Force cancelling all sporting events during the govt shutdown - arkstfan - 01-21-2018 10:51 AM

(01-21-2018 05:53 AM)lew240z Wrote:  The Army and Navy athletic departments are totally privately funded. The Air Force athletic department is partially funded by the DoD. By law, as soon as funding ran out at midnight Friday night, all civilian DoD employees who are not in an excepted position are instantly place in furlough status. Excepted position include law enforcement and security and those position deemed essential/emergency who must report to work but won't get paid during the shut down. Obviously, the coaches and other employees of the athletic department are not emergency/essential. Also, contractors such as providing services such as concessions and janitorial services at the athletic facility are not allowed to report for work because their contracts are suspend until funding is restored.

I know this because I am an emergency/essential employee and I'm currently at work.

I would be surprised if the majority of the head coach's pay in football and basketball wasn't privately funded and at least some assistants in football and basketball.

If the academies are open and teaching then educational positions are excepted and the academy position even before there was an NCAA was that athletic activity is part of the academic mission.

Other than the concession stand workers and maybe travel the decision to not proceed as excepted doesn't make sense.

RE: Air Force cancelling all sporting events during the govt shutdown - RandomFan - 01-25-2018 09:55 PM

Air Force men's and women's basketball games against Fresno State have been rescheduled.

http://themw.com/news/2018/1/25/mountain-west-announces-rescheduling-of-air-force-fresno-state-mens-and-womens-basketball-games.aspx