CSNbbs
An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers (/thread-839428.html)

Pages: 1 2

An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - blazerjay - 01-06-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:An Open Letter to the BlazerTalk Family:

The rampant negativity and lack a civility that has taken over the board has become too prevalent. As with the current political climate, it seems as if many think that any opinion conflicting with their own is not only misguided, but that the opinion has zero validity. Some think that anyone who doesn’t think like with them is simply stupid and should be shouted down and silenced.

People who used to scream “Freedom of Speech” anytime their posts were moderated are now some of the same who try to demand other posters be silenced. Let’s be clear, anyone is welcome to post their opinions here, as long as they remain civil. Whether any posts/threads belong on a particular board is our decision, not yours. If you feel a post or thread should be moved, contact a mod through PM and it will be looked at.

We realize that things are not always going to be all sunshine and roses…sometimes life throws in some dragon poo. Negativity in and off itself is not a bad thing, as long as the negativity stimulates a constructive discussion. Negativity for the sake of being mean, denigrating or even for the sake of trying to prod another poster is over as of now. If you can’t be civil with others and play nice, you’ll need to find somewhere else to play. We are not going to let the actions of a few childish, name-calling posters define this board.

Four posters in the past week have stated privately that they have left or are leaving the board due because of the extreme negativity and fighting among posters. We’ve tried to be tolerant and give great latitude. Sadly there continue to be a few posters who seem set on perpetuating the unsettled atmosphere that is currently infesting the board. Therefore, going forward there will be a zero-tolerance policy on the infighting. No name-calling; no posts meant to incite another without any contributive substance; no mean-spirited calling out of another poster for only stating their views.

Don’t become the example.

BlazerTalk Moderation Team

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - LairDweller - 01-06-2018 09:19 PM

And, for every poster that left bc of the negativity, there are many more of us that are still around, but post/read far less frequently

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - Memphis Blazer - 01-06-2018 09:38 PM

I hope this includes negativity toward the athletic department as well.

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - mobileblazer - 01-07-2018 12:39 AM

(01-06-2018 09:19 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  And, for every poster that left bc of the negativity, there are many more of us that are still around, but post/read far less frequently

+1

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - Lou-A-B - 01-07-2018 08:28 AM

(01-06-2018 09:19 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  And, for every poster that left bc of the negativity, there are many more of us that are still around, but post/read far less frequently

+1

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - BlazerPhil - 01-07-2018 10:47 AM

+1

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - bladhmadh - 01-07-2018 01:34 PM

(01-07-2018 10:47 AM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  

+1

id post more if I could reset my password

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 01-07-2018 05:34 PM

To what extent is "negativity", like beauty, in the eye of the beholder? Personal attacks should not be tolerated, but on some topics in Blazer history (like the past actions of BOT members) it is hard to refrain from calling a spade a shovel.

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - Blazer Engineer - 01-07-2018 07:42 PM

+1

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - rook360 - 01-08-2018 12:06 PM

So that only 4 (×1's)

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - blzrclub80 - 01-08-2018 02:03 PM

+1

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - blazerjay - 01-08-2018 02:33 PM

(01-07-2018 05:34 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  To what extent is "negativity", like beauty, in the eye of the beholder? Personal attacks should not be tolerated, but on some topics in Blazer history (like the past actions of BOT members) it is hard to refrain from calling a spade a shovel.

Quote:Negativity in and off itself is not a bad thing, as long as the negativity stimulates a constructive discussion. Negativity for the sake of being mean, denigrating or even for the sake of trying to prod another poster is over as of now.

Being negative about something that happened, recently or in the past is ok...as long as it is in the context of the thread subject. Making posts for the sole purpose of being negative...or posting negative hugely trangential statements (as in a continuing theme...a.k.a. about a past administrator, coach or player) is not.

Basically stay within the topic. Do not attack others because their view do not match yours. Do not make inciteful posts even if you are thinking you are only being funny. Such things are not funny to everyone.

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - blazerjay - 01-08-2018 02:38 PM

(01-08-2018 12:06 PM)rook360 Wrote:  So that only 4 (×1's)

No, it's only 4 that have left since Christmas...it's dozens going back further...

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - ATTALLABLAZE - 01-08-2018 02:52 PM

Yep. Dozens.

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - thebernreuter - 01-08-2018 08:28 PM

(01-08-2018 02:38 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  

No, it's only 4 that have left since Christmas...it's dozens going back further...

+1 here.

People who aren't reading this thread aren't around to tell us why, skewing the data.

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - mobileblazer - 01-14-2018 12:31 PM

Bump.

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - USAFBlazerFan - 01-15-2018 08:56 PM

+1, x1...
Go Blazers!

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - UAB Band Dad - 01-15-2018 09:58 PM

(01-08-2018 08:28 PM)thebernreuter Wrote:  

+1 here.

People who aren't reading this thread aren't around to tell us why, skewing the data.

1,500 views and 16 replies? I'm certain that many have read it and simply not replied, as I hadn't until now. I've talked to a number of people at the football tailgate who said as much, that there was so much acrimony here that they either didn't read the board much any more, or did not participate in the threads as a result.

A certain amount of disagreement is healthy, but continually inciting pissing matches gets old in a hurry. Most of us don't come here to watch half a dozen personalities clash.

Well, used to be we didn't, anyhow.

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - mobileblazer - 01-15-2018 10:18 PM

(01-15-2018 09:58 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  
(01-08-2018 08:28 PM)thebernreuter Wrote:  

+1 here.

1,500 views and 16 replies? I'm certain that many have read it and simply not replied, as I hadn't until now. I've talked to a number of people at the football tailgate who said as much, that there was so much acrimony here that they either didn't read the board much any more, or did not participate in the threads as a result.

A certain amount of disagreement is healthy, but continually inciting pissing matches gets old in a hurry. Most of us don't come here to watch half a dozen personalities clash.

Well, used to be we didn't, anyhow.

I'm one who rarely posts any more. Too much complaining on here. I've even taken myself out of the various UAB sports pages. Even more complaining there.

RE: An open letter to all BlazerTalkers - Motley Blazer - 01-16-2018 06:01 PM

...and again