CSNbbs
Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Western Michigan (/forum-469.html)
+------ Forum: The Dan Burgardt Memorial Bronco Football Forum (/forum-489.html)
+------ Thread: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? (/thread-838903.html)

Pages: 1 2

Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - induction - 01-01-2018 09:07 PM

The 2017 UCF situation and, to a lesser extent, the 2016 WMU season have led me to the conclusion that the College Football Playoff is not the FBS national championship. In my mind, FBS has no national championship. Instead, the CFP is a 4 team invitational that awards a trophy. This is consistent with FBS postseason events which are more commonly known as bowl games.

I'm curious what others here think about the legitimacy of the CFP as the FBS championship.

Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - SilentStryk09 - 01-01-2018 09:39 PM

If they crowned a true champion, Alabama would not be in a 4 team playoff, nor would have OSU last year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - MajorHoople - 01-02-2018 08:14 AM

(01-01-2018 09:39 PM)SilentStryk09 Wrote:  If they crowned a true champion, Alabama would not be in a 4 team playoff, nor would have OSU last year.

Agree. Neither won their conference DIVISIONAL championship, how do they get to play for NC?

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - BuickBronco - 01-02-2018 09:46 AM

NCAA says 4 is enough. Any sane person knows that is BS. Down the road when they expand to 8-12 teams the NCAA will say it was their idea all along. Scott Frost gave a good interview after yesterdays game basically saying the committee is a joke and his kids got shafted. He was pretty detailed on how they hid UCF all year in the rankings so they wouldn't get any consideration for the playoffs. Where did we see this before? UCF skill level and speed matched Auburn. Their LBs and DL destroyed the Tigers. Only when Auburn sped up the pace could they make yardage but UCF stuffed them again.

If they don't expand you will continue to see the same names playing the second week in January. Power 5 football is out of control. SEC schools are bringing in $80-$100m per year in revenue just from football. Saban wants to play only P5 teams which will leave many P5's below .500 every year and only help his $100M empire. UCF stuck it to Saban yesterday, many won't realize that at first but it was a great statement by the Golden Knights.

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - george14 - 01-02-2018 10:03 AM

The only way to fix this so everyone stops complaining is to have an 8 team playoff with all 5 P5 winners, 2 at large, then the top rated G5 team. However, if the G5 has a down year with 2 losses, I can see people getting pissed off if a 2 loss P5 team gets snubbed.

Regardless, if you aren't in the top 8, you probably don't have much of a claim to be a "champion". Anyone with half a brain knew Alabama was a top 4 team this season. However they did not win their division which some people don't like. That creates the question "what if the top 2 teams are in the same division?" This is much more complex than people make it.

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - NIU007 - 01-02-2018 10:11 AM

No.

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - GullLake - 01-02-2018 10:16 AM

(01-02-2018 10:03 AM)george14 Wrote:  The only way to fix this so everyone stops complaining is to have an 8 team playoff with all 5 P5 winners, 2 at large, then the top rated G5 team. However, if the G5 has a down year with 2 losses, I can see people getting pissed off if a 2 loss P5 team gets snubbed.

Regardless, if you aren't in the top 8, you probably don't have much of a claim to be a "champion". Anyone with half a brain knew Alabama was a top 4 team this season. However they did not win their division which some people don't like. That creates the question "what if the top 2 teams are in the same division?" This is much more complex than people make it.

No it is not complex.

The regular season is played for a reason.

Win and you're in. If a good team doesn't win its own division it only has itself to blame.

The upcoming SEC Championship Game is a crass joke. USC, Ohio State and UCF were more deserving of a playoff spot than Alabama. The Tide had its chances during the regular season. Putting it in the playoff is a mulligan which would not go to a program with a lesser "brand" under identical circumstances.

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - Boca Rocket - 01-02-2018 10:18 AM

(01-02-2018 10:16 AM)GullLake Wrote:  
(01-02-2018 10:03 AM)george14 Wrote:  The only way to fix this so everyone stops complaining is to have an 8 team playoff with all 5 P5 winners, 2 at large, then the top rated G5 team. However, if the G5 has a down year with 2 losses, I can see people getting pissed off if a 2 loss P5 team gets snubbed.

No it is not complex.

Win and you're in. If a good team doesn't win its own division it only has itself to blame.

The upcoming SEC Championship Game is a crass joke. USC, Ohio State and UCF were more deserving of a playoff spot than Alabama. The Tide had its chances during the regular season. Putting it in the playoff is a mulligan which would not go to a program with a lesser "brand" under identical circumstances.

USC definitely not. OSU and UCF yes.

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - GullLake - 01-02-2018 10:28 AM

(01-02-2018 10:18 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(01-02-2018 10:16 AM)GullLake Wrote:  

No it is not complex.

USC definitely not. OSU and UCF yes.

USC won a P5 conference championship. Alabama did not.

Shouldn't get in if you don't win.

Objective - earned - championships, and the regular season, matter. Subjective analysis by a dubious "committee" should not.

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - NIU007 - 01-02-2018 10:56 AM

What if the NFL changed its playoffs to 4 teams and created a committee to vote which 4 teams they would be? NFL fans would think that is the most idiotic thing anyone could have come up with.

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - Hiller4Hyz09 - 01-02-2018 06:50 PM

10 Conference Champs
2 at large
Top 4 seeds get a bye (use NFL brackets and committee seeding)

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - Hoekjeness - 01-02-2018 10:35 PM

Personally, I’d be a fan of an 8-team playoff.

P5 champs
Top ranked G5
Two at-larges

Seems simple and not controversial.

Insane that a team can go undefeated and not even have a sniff at a national championship. Shame.

Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - SilentStryk09 - 01-02-2018 11:09 PM

Should be a G5 rank qualifier though. If the top G5 champ is ranked 24, they shouldn't be in, Imo. Which hasn't happened in the CFP era I believe.

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - wmubroncopilot - 01-03-2018 12:23 AM

(01-02-2018 11:09 PM)SilentStryk09 Wrote:  Should be a G5 rank qualifier though. If the top G5 champ is ranked 24, they shouldn't be in, Imo. Which hasn't happened in the CFP era I believe.

Disagree. Sounds like a good way for the committee to arbitrarily exclude the G5.

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - Boca Rocket - 01-03-2018 11:15 AM

(01-02-2018 10:35 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  Personally, I’d be a fan of an 8-team playoff.

P5 champs
Top ranked G5
Two at-larges

Insane that a team can go undefeated and not even have a sniff at a national championship. Shame.

Except there were no significant OOC wins. Hard to judge the quality of a team when the big wins are only within a G-5 Conference.

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - flushtheherd - 01-03-2018 11:26 AM

(01-03-2018 11:15 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(01-02-2018 10:35 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  Personally, I’d be a fan of an 8-team playoff.

P5 champs
Top ranked G5
Two at-larges

Except there were no significant OOC wins. Hard to judge the quality of a team when the big wins are only within a G-5 Conference.

As noted by the committee, UCF's only top 25 win during the regular season was a double OT squeaker over Memphis... who I believe was #24 or something like that at the time... Their OOC schedule didn't help them much...

I agree with an 8 team playoff with the 5 P5 Conf Champs, the highest rated G5 and 2 wild cards...

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - Boca Rocket - 01-03-2018 11:49 AM

If Alabama wins the National Championship. They will have beaten:
#24 Miss State
#16 LSU
#3 Georgia
#1 Clemson
while losing only once at rival #7 Auburn.
It would appear the CFP did a good job.

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - GRBRONCO - 01-03-2018 11:59 AM

1 team they wouldn't have beaten is undefeated and beat Auburn.

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - Hoekjeness - 01-03-2018 12:12 PM

(01-03-2018 11:15 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

P5 champs
Top ranked G5
Two at-larges

UCF was 6-0 against bowl teams (#20 Memphis, Navy, USF, Temple, SMU and #7 Auburn).

RE: Does the CFP crown a legitimate national champion? - New School Bronco - 01-03-2018 12:15 PM

(01-03-2018 11:49 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  If Alabama wins the National Championship. They will have beaten:
#24 Miss State
#16 LSU
#3 Georgia
#1 Clemson
while losing only once at rival #7 Auburn.
It would appear the CFP did a good job.

Yet UCF beat Auburn and didn’t lose a game