CSNbbs
Kent State @ Xavier - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - East Team Talk (/forum-463.html)
+----- Forum: Kent State (/forum-474.html)
+----- Thread: Kent State @ Xavier (/thread-836209.html)

Pages: 1 2

Kent State @ Xavier - fallsdog - 12-05-2017 09:18 AM

The Flashes hit the road to Cincinnati on Wednesday to take on the #13 Xavier at the Cintas Center. The Musketeers enter with a 7-1 record that includes wins over UC, Wisconsin, George Washington and Baylor. Their lone loss was to Arizona State on a neutral floor.

Chris Mack's squad is big, they are deep and they shoot the ball well. The starting lineup is 6'6, 6'5, 6'8, 6'9 and 6'4.

Leading the way is senior guard Trevon Bluiett who averages 20 points and 5 rebounds per game. 6'5 wing J.P. Macura and 6'8 junior Kaiser Gates also score in double figures for Xavier. The leading rebounder and shot blocker is 6'9 sophomore Tyrique Jones.

Off the bench come a pair of 6'10 graduate students and a 6'7 freshman. Needless to say the Flashes are going to have to earn every rebound against the nation's 13th ranked squad.

Compete, play defense, be patient and see what happens. The game is being broadcast on FS1 for those who get the signal.

GO FLASHES!

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - OLNWFLSH - 12-06-2017 09:02 AM

With us facing a powerhouse program here is a great story on a former flash

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/12/post_49.html#incart_river_index

BTW Ball State had a big win for the MAC over ND last night

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - JimJoyce - 12-06-2017 09:29 AM

I think Ball State has lost close to 30-something combined games in a row to Kent State/Akron. Looks like those streaks could finally be coming to an end.

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - OLNWFLSH - 12-06-2017 11:49 AM

(12-06-2017 09:29 AM)JimJoyce Wrote:  I think Ball State has lost close to 30-something combined games in a row to Kent State/Akron. Looks like those streaks could finally be coming to an end.
They gave Akron all they could handle in last year's MAC Tournament - I believe they were picked to win the MAC in this year's coaches poll

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - anti-zip - 12-06-2017 07:18 PM

Hopefully we have 5 guys that can finish the game. A ton of fouls early.

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - anti-zip - 12-06-2017 08:25 PM

Kanter is a flopper. Lucky for him these refs have bought every one of them.

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - fallsdog - 12-06-2017 08:38 PM

Don’t worry. These guys will be fine.

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - GFlash68 - 12-06-2017 09:04 PM

Xavier is good, maybe final four quality. We did well in spurts. Most disappointed in the failure to protect the lane. We gave too may easy baskets in the post. Could be partially because of the refs. Hopefully, the team grew up a little tonight.

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - anti-zip - 12-06-2017 09:23 PM

Interesting that Nwankwo was off the bench before Frederick tonight. Might just be because he's so much bigger. I thought he looked decent while he was in there but he got lost pretty bad a couple times on defensive rotations. Also of note, Johnson was in before Bernstein. Disappointing to see De La Rosa have such a bad game in his first chance against real size this year.

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - axeme - 12-06-2017 09:54 PM

I just watched Loyola beat #5 Florida in Gainesville. It can be done, as Ball St also proved last night.

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - fallsdog - 12-07-2017 08:02 AM

Obviously this is a tough game to try to dissect considering the opponent. Without getting carried away:

The good - Pippen got after it offensively and both Avery & Zabo had 5 assists against 1 turnover.

The bad - Xavier dominated in the paint and on the glass. It was to be expected but it looked like men against boys for most of the game.

The lesson - ADR needs to step up his effort on the defensive end. 5 fouls in 19 minutes ain't gonna cut it.

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - FlashPan - 12-07-2017 10:38 AM

It would be difficult to find a team that could have beaten Xavier last night. They may wind up as a final four.

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - anti-zip - 12-07-2017 03:18 PM

(12-06-2017 09:54 PM)axeme Wrote:  I just watched Loyola beat #5 Florida in Gainesville. It can be done, as Ball St also proved last night.

Harder to do without your leading scorer.

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - ksu315 - 12-08-2017 10:15 AM

We have 2 glaring flaws right now:

1) Walker is our only consistent outside 3 pt shooter, so with him out makes it even harder. The other guards have their moments from outside but the 3 I'm thinking of have some kinks in their shooting stroke.

2) Team defense is poor. We have our moments but takes 5 guys working together and then hitting the boards. unfortunately that's not working in synergy quit yet.

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - JimJoyce - 12-08-2017 10:31 AM

Why does it seem like we're always such a poor shooting team? Year in and year out we are among some of the worst shooting teams. I don't know if its Rob's philosophy and his reputation as a post-player coach but the MAC has long been a guard's league. It would just be nice to have a guy or two who shot above 40% from three point range.

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - cleveland - 12-08-2017 11:32 AM

(12-08-2017 10:31 AM)JimJoyce Wrote:  Why does it seem like we're always such a poor shooting team? Year in and year out we are among some of the worst shooting teams. I don't know if its Rob's philosophy and his reputation as a post-player coach but the MAC has long been a guard's league. It would just be nice to have a guy or two who shot above 40% from three point range.

Scorers, or shooters .... that's an age-old question. I would guess, by the time conference play starts, there won't be 10 players in the MAC shooter over 40-percent on 3-pointers ... and certainly by the end of January.

(went back and checked 2016-2017 stats ... only 8 players 40-percent or better at the end of last season -- WMU, BSU, OU had six of the 8).

Think of it this way ... down six with 3:30 to play in the game, do you want a 38-percent 3point shooter taking a shot that could keep you in or knock you out of a game ... or a 50-percent mid-range shooter taking the shot. Walker is both. Do you want to be down four when the other team gets the ball, or still down six and the clock ticking?

Don't know Senderoff's philosophy, either. But the above scenario is one I have heard a lot of coaches debate about.

Thoughts???

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - GFlash68 - 12-08-2017 11:55 AM

Dev Manley, I loved that guy. We need him on this team. He made our teams good with others getting the credit.

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - KSU Agee - 12-08-2017 06:48 PM

Just wait until Ahmed Ali gets on campus...

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - Muskrat - 12-08-2017 07:15 PM

KSU Agee, everybody's in despair, every girl and boy, but when Quinn the Eskimo gets here everybody's gonna jump for joy!

RE: Kent State @ Xavier - delflash - 12-08-2017 07:39 PM

You are a real Dylan fan, Muskrat!