CSNbbs
Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School (/thread-833910.html)

Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - slhNavy91 - 11-17-2017 04:54 PM

https://amp.commercialappeal.com/amp/872817001

RE: Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - ObiwanGoat - 11-17-2017 05:14 PM

We have now lost a top safety to ND & a top QB prospect to Memphis.

It seems like a good news/bad news story. It is great that we are attracting that type of talent but not such a great idea to have them playing against us.

Coach Ken might have to reach into his dark side and require transfers to go to teams not on our schedule.

........or maybe we will get more top talent because the recruit will know the staff is looking out for his best interest and will help them along the way.

RE: Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - HuskyU - 11-17-2017 05:17 PM

Who steals from Navy? Shame on them.

RE: Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - TripleA - 11-17-2017 05:37 PM

"Poached," huh? He was at the Naval Academy Prep School. He decided he didn't want to make the commitment, so he came home.

For now, he is going to be a walk-on, and has to earn a scholly, if he ever does, so it's not like we called him up at the Naval Academy and asked him if he wanted to be a walk-on, lol, and he thought that was a better deal than a Navy scholly.

There also happen to be at least 4 scholarship QBs ahead of him. Moore, Davis, a freshman and a recruit. So yeah, we were out there calling everybody we could to find a walk-on QB to be 5th string or worse.

RE: Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - slhNavy91 - 11-17-2017 05:56 PM

(11-17-2017 05:37 PM)TripleA Wrote:  "Poached," huh? He was at the Naval Academy Prep School. He decided he didn't want to make the commitment, so he came home.

For now, he is going to be a walk-on, and has to earn a scholly, if he ever does, so it's not like we called him up at the Naval Academy and asked him if he wanted to be a walk-on, lol, and he thought that was a better deal than a Navy scholly.

There also happen to be at least 4 scholarship QBs ahead of him. Moore, Davis, a freshman and a recruit. So yeah, we were out there calling everybody we could to find a walk-on QB to be 5th string or worse.

Thread title was a little mini-troll. Your initial "lol" response was much more becoming.

RE: Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - TripleA - 11-17-2017 06:22 PM

(11-17-2017 05:56 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  
(11-17-2017 05:37 PM)TripleA Wrote:  "Poached," huh? He was at the Naval Academy Prep School. He decided he didn't want to make the commitment, so he came home.

Thread title was a little mini-troll. Your initial "lol" response was much more becoming.

I mistakenly deleted it when I edited the sentence. I meant to replace it between "huh" and "He."

I think it's pretty funny. Not like I changed my mind on that.

We stole a guy who will be a walk-on. Okay, then. 04-cheers

RE: Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - slhNavy91 - 11-17-2017 07:03 PM

So despite my trollery in verb choice I do not think the coaches contacted him - his quotes about the OC and HC sound like he is referring to that pre-signing day offer.

If Navy ain't for you, Navy ain't for you. I would say that to an athlete or a Joe Mid (like I was). If a team has an excessive number of kids leaving, I'm going to want to know if the coaches are bringing in the wrong kids. I don't think that about him. Now NAPS is still different from plebe year, but could have been any number of things - calculus, cold already in Newport.
He is leaving with good words and attitude so vaya con dios.
Also, highlights a couple things about NAPS - not the same as a redshirt. And it WOULD be legal if a little lowdown for coaches to actively recruit: because our athletes are not on an athletic scholarship, they don't actually sign an NLI. Fair game, but c'mon, man.

RE: Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - Stallion - 11-17-2017 09:18 PM

(11-17-2017 05:14 PM)ObiwanGoat Wrote:  We have now lost a top safety to ND & a top QB prospect to Memphis.

It seems like a good news/bad news story. It is great that we are attracting that type of talent but not such a great idea to have them playing against us.

Coach Ken might have to reach into his dark side and require transfers to go to teams not on our schedule.

........or maybe we will get more top talent because the recruit will know the staff is looking out for his best interest and will help them along the way.

You can't do that because he was attending a Prep School--Naval Prep--but a Prep school so he was never a student at the Naval Academy. Don't think a lot people understand how Navy is able to compete--they couldn't without their Prep School and other exceptions to NCAA recruiting limitations

RE: Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - TripleA - 11-17-2017 10:49 PM

(11-17-2017 07:03 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  So despite my trollery in verb choice I do not think the coaches contacted him - his quotes about the OC and HC sound like he is referring to that pre-signing day offer.

If Navy ain't for you, Navy ain't for you. I would say that to an athlete or a Joe Mid (like I was). If a team has an excessive number of kids leaving, I'm going to want to know if the coaches are bringing in the wrong kids. I don't think that about him. Now NAPS is still different from plebe year, but could have been any number of things - calculus, cold already in Newport.
He is leaving with good words and attitude so vaya con dios.
Also, highlights a couple things about NAPS - not the same as a redshirt. And it WOULD be legal if a little lowdown for coaches to actively recruit: because our athletes are not on an athletic scholarship, they don't actually sign an NLI. Fair game, but c'mon, man.

It would be hard to believe we would contact an Academy Prep guy after he was up there, and talk him into leaving to be a walk-on.

RE: Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - TripleA - 11-18-2017 10:55 AM

Hey SLH, I worked out a trade with you guys. Another Memphis QB is headed your way.

https://247sports.com/player/ben-glass-45573035

RE: Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - KnightLight - 11-18-2017 11:39 AM

(11-17-2017 04:54 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  https://amp.commercialappeal.com/amp/872817001

Poached?

UCF has a player too that went to the Naval Academy Prep School.

Maybe it's news to you but not everyone that attends that school decides to go after appointment for the Naval Academy.

RE: Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - TripleA - 11-18-2017 11:46 AM

(11-18-2017 11:39 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(11-17-2017 04:54 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  https://amp.commercialappeal.com/amp/872817001

Poached?

Maybe it's news to you but not everyone that attends that school decides to go after appointment for the Naval Academy.

He just poking at me. 04-cheers

He forgets Navy is by far my #2 team.

RE: Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - slhNavy91 - 11-18-2017 11:56 AM

(11-18-2017 10:55 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Hey SLH, I worked out a trade with you guys. Another Memphis QB is headed your way.

https://247sports.com/player/ben-glass-45573035

Sounds great!

Seriously, our Tennessee recruiting us huge for us. Keenan Reynolds the leading edge of that wave, but only one example. Being in the AAC, and especially the West, has been good for us

RE: Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - slhNavy91 - 11-18-2017 11:57 AM

(11-18-2017 11:46 AM)TripleA Wrote:  

Poached?

Would never forget - makes the banter better.

RE: Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - slhNavy91 - 11-18-2017 11:58 AM

Poached?

News to me. Read post #7: if Navy ain't for you Navy ain't for you

RE: Memphis poaches hometown QB from Naval Academy Prep School - TripleA - 11-18-2017 06:42 PM

(11-18-2017 11:57 AM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  
(11-18-2017 11:46 AM)TripleA Wrote:  

Poached?

Would never forget - makes the banter better.

Feeling is mutual.