CSNbbs
The Case for Gundy at TN - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC Conference Talk (/forum-246.html)
+---- Thread: The Case for Gundy at TN (/thread-833872.html)

The Case for Gundy at TN - Soobahk40050 - 11-17-2017 12:38 PM

The more I think about it, the more I like Gundy for TN.

1) 65-23 overall since 2011 (move to 9 conference games).
2) 43-18 in conference
3) Only 50 years old.
4) Not a Saban guy, which is a plus for me.
5) Hiring from OSU has worked in the past for SEC schools.
6) Already in Orange.
7) Better chance at success than Gruden, Kelly.
8) More experience than Norvell.
9) current salary of 3.75 is definitely beatable but not extravagant.

RE: The Case for Gundy at TN - JRsec - 11-17-2017 01:00 PM

(11-17-2017 12:38 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  The more I think about it, the more I like Gundy for TN.

1) 65-23 overall since 2011 (move to 9 conference games).
2) 43-18 in conference
3) Only 50 years old.
4) Not a Saban guy, which is a plus for me.
5) Hiring from OSU has worked in the past for SEC schools.
6) Already in Orange.
7) Better chance at success than Gruden, Kelly.
8) More experience than Norvell.
9) current salary of 3.75 is definitely beatable but not extravagant.

He is a better consideration than Gruden & Kelly.

RE: The Case for Gundy at TN - tcufrog86 - 11-17-2017 03:51 PM

I think Gundy would be a great hire if Tennessee can land him, wasn't he seriously considered and/or offered the job in the cycle they ended up hiring Butch Jones in?

The hurdle I see is that Gundy has deep ties to Oklahoma State and to the state of Oklahoma as whole. He has spent about 24 years at Oklahoma State as a player, assistant coach, or head coach. He also grew up in Oklahoma meaning that outside of 1 year coaching at Baylor and 3 at Maryland that he has spent a grand total of 4 years outside of Oklahoma. I know he has kids too, but not sure where they sit in terms of school age (high school, in college already, etc...).

RE: The Case for Gundy at TN - AllTideUp - 11-17-2017 04:32 PM

(11-17-2017 03:51 PM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  I think Gundy would be a great hire if Tennessee can land him, wasn't he seriously considered and/or offered the job in the cycle they ended up hiring Butch Jones in?

The hurdle I see is that Gundy has deep ties to Oklahoma State and to the state of Oklahoma as whole. He has spent about 24 years at Oklahoma State as a player, assistant coach, or head coach. He also grew up in Oklahoma meaning that outside of 1 year coaching at Baylor and 3 at Maryland that he has spent a grand total of 4 years outside of Oklahoma. I know he has kids too, but not sure where they sit in terms of school age (high school, in college already, etc...).

If I remember correctly, he doesn't get along with Boone Pickens and that was the source of some of the rumors of him leaving. I don't see Pickens losing power anytime soon so I suppose it's possible to pull Gundy away from his alma mater.

RE: The Case for Gundy at TN - murrdcu - 11-17-2017 05:30 PM

Bobby Petrino...

RE: The Case for Gundy at TN - hawghiggs - 11-17-2017 11:12 PM

(11-17-2017 05:30 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  Bobby Petrino...

I can't believe that his name isn't being thrown around more. If Tennessee doesn't go after him. I bet that Ole Miss will.

The Case for Gundy at TN - Lenvillecards - 11-22-2017 06:06 PM

(11-17-2017 11:12 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  

I can't believe that his name isn't being thrown around more. If Tennessee doesn't go after him. I bet that Ole Miss will.

I would say that Tennessee would have a good shot at him but I don't think that he would leave for Ole Miss unless he is upset about Jurich termination. Tennessee would still be close enough for his family ties in Louisville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: The Case for Gundy at TN - murrdcu - 11-22-2017 10:25 PM

(11-22-2017 06:06 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  
(11-17-2017 11:12 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  

I would say that Tennessee would have a good shot at him but I don't think that he would leave for Ole Miss unless he is upset about Jurich termination. Tennessee would still be close enough for his family ties in Louisville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby could be dangerous at either Tennessee or Auburn as it’s easy to recruit his weaknesses from those two schools; offensive line and defense. Bobby traditionally over recruited QB’s and WR’s and hoped to outscore his shortcomings that way.