CSNbbs
Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? (/thread-833099.html)

Pages: 1 2

Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - bearcat72 - 11-11-2017 01:15 AM

I'll probably get blown out of the water by the big posters on this board. Marcus Freeman made no changes on two plays that were apparent in the first half.

First, the tackle over unbalanced toss play. Everytime they ran it, it went for big yards. TD run in 2nd Qtr after a UC timeout and it was obvious from the Temple alignment they were going to run it again. Sure enough TD.

Second play was repeated all night on third downs or when Temple needed long yardage. It was to send all the receivers deep and then drag a back over the middle. That play must have gained 75 to 100 yards during the game.

Hoard, Egger and Kelly all referred to both plays during the post game.

Remember, Marcu Freeman was the DC at Purdue when we beat them twice! He might be great recruiter and maybe a linebacker coach, but no DC. Maybe CLF ought to take over the DC calls. He's got to be saying WTF on the sideline or in his own mind.

The targeting call was the most pathetic one I've seen all year. That line judge was bad all night. The head was turned and it hit the ball knocking loose. I think the head ref tried to talk him out of it, but couldn't or wouldn't. So they tacked on the taunting call to bail themselves out.

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - Ring of Black - 11-11-2017 08:13 AM

Not this time 03-lmfao Why should you get blown out of the water? You're spot on. Teams succeed on the same play all night, the DC ought to be open to criticism.

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - Ring of Black - 11-11-2017 08:14 AM

Now if multiple instances of this same point show up to start threads, we might say something about it - LOL! Or just combine them, like I do from time to time.

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - The T-Shirt - 11-11-2017 08:16 AM

Just for the record, he was only co-DC in '15. Just a linebackers coach in '13.

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - Nasty Nati 513 - 11-11-2017 08:32 AM

What do you mean he doesn’t adjust. Didn’t you watch the Navy game ? Hahahaha.

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - UCGrad1992 - 11-11-2017 08:46 AM

Yeah, I see the criticism. I also see criticism on the offense, special teams and on the players and coaches. Thus, our gaudy 3-7 record.

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - Racinejake - 11-11-2017 10:16 AM

(11-11-2017 08:46 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Yeah, I see the criticism. I also see criticism on the offense, special teams and on the players and coaches. Thus, our gaudy 3-7 record.

Good point. A lot of blame to go around. DC criticism is more than fair IMO.

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - dsquare - 11-11-2017 10:44 AM

Dan Hoard and to a lessor account Kelly commented in 4th qtr when i was driving home that they had never seen a Uc game where the defense played so soft right into what Temple was doing in their passing game. Said that no disrespect to Temple's qb, but guys are being left so wide open due to soft coverage just about any qb could make throws. You have to wonder after watching that for several qtrs what the defensive coaches were thinking. Hoard and Kelly said the only reason would be if Uc thought they had no chance to challenge receivers for fear of them getting behind them. I guess.

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - UCGrad1992 - 11-11-2017 11:03 AM

(11-11-2017 10:44 AM)dsquare Wrote:  Dan Hoard and to a lessor account Kelly commented in 4th qtr when i was driving home that they had never seen a Uc game where the defense played so soft right into what Temple was doing in their passing game. Said that no disrespect to Temple's qb, but guys are being left so wide open due to soft coverage just about any qb could make throws. You have to wonder after watching that for several qtrs what the defensive coaches were thinking. Hoard and Kelly said the only reason would be if Uc thought they had no chance to challenge receivers for fear of them getting behind them. I guess.

I'm not saying this to excuse the coaching "x's and o's" for a free pass but we've seen our secondary get burned time and again this year with the long pass play. I don't believe we have DB's that are fast enough in coverage or physical enough to play bump and run or tight on the line of scrimmage. It would appear we are doing the "lesser of two evils" and trying to keep everything in front of the defense to avoid the big play - bend but don't break. It does open up the underneath stuff but the defense played pretty well last night at times but the offense did them no favors for most of the game.

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - rath v2.0 - 11-11-2017 11:10 AM

He was not a very good D.C. at Purdue. But he doesn't have magic pixie dust for those upperclassmen in the secondary or the world's youngest 2 deep at LB.

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - Ring of Black - 11-11-2017 02:57 PM

(11-11-2017 11:10 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  He was not a very good D.C. at Purdue. But he doesn't have magic pixie dust for those upperclassmen in the secondary or the world's youngest 2 deep at LB.

Well said Rath... nor does Freeman remotely resemble that Grinch-wizard (or whatever that is) in your signature.

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - Marcus - 11-11-2017 04:45 PM

He was not a good DC at Purdue. I thought he was a very questionable hire. Definitely the most questionable on the staff. I’m not surprised it’s not working out too well.

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - Banter - 11-11-2017 05:17 PM

(11-11-2017 11:10 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  He was not a very good D.C. at Purdue. But he doesn't have magic pixie dust for those upperclassmen in the secondary or the world's youngest 2 deep at LB.
I'm going to be curious to see what Freeman's defense looks like over the next two years. I think we can all admit that we don't have the greatest DBs, and our linebacking core is thin. If memory serves correct we have had a new DC every year over the past 5 seasons?

It will be interesting to see if there is a lot of growth with some stability.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - CliftonAve - 11-11-2017 05:39 PM

Ross Els was the DC at Purdue and called the plays. Freeman was the co-DC and LB coach. He is in his 5th year as an assistant- he still has a lot to learn.

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - UCGrad1992 - 11-11-2017 06:08 PM

Well, Freeman is no Art Kaufman.

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - JackieTreehorn - 11-11-2017 06:16 PM

I would probably have more confidence in him if the last defense he coached wasn't beaten by Zach Taylor's juggernaut UC offense.

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - The T-Shirt - 11-11-2017 06:35 PM

(11-11-2017 05:39 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Ross Els was the DC at Purdue and called the plays. Freeman was the co-DC and LB coach. He is in his 5th year as an assistant- he still has a lot to learn.

03-shhhh

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - kyucat - 11-12-2017 02:37 PM

I am not sure why CLF wanted anything to do with any of Purdue’s old staff. Look at what Purdue is doing now verses last year. CLF just transferred Purdue’s problems to UC. WHY?

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - BeerCat - 11-12-2017 02:42 PM

I think Fickell knew that Freeman was heavy on recruiting and light on in game coaching. I’m sure at this point t that was fine with him. Right now UC needs as much talent as possible and Freeman helps in that regard.

RE: Marcus Freeman defensive coordinator that doesn't adjust? - rath v2.0 - 11-12-2017 03:00 PM

(11-11-2017 06:35 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  
(11-11-2017 05:39 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Ross Els was the DC at Purdue and called the plays. Freeman was the co-DC and LB coach. He is in his 5th year as an assistant- he still has a lot to learn.

03-shhhh

So they gave him a fake title with no coordinator responsibilities because the LB corp was tearing it up so well under his tutilage? Not how it works. Those were his credentials. He takes the heat or the glory. He wasn't getting hired as a D.C. Anyplace else after last season.

Purdue was 91st in total defense last year. They are 50 spots higher this year with pretty much the same guys. Perhaps Jeff Brohm is a defensive guru?

Fact is we hired an inexperienced DC that was one of OSU's guys for Fickell. He is a good recruiter. That's his main role. If you look back to that thread when our staff was being hired I was (hoping yet wrong) convinced he was just going to be the LB coach and recruiting coordinator for a reason.

That being said, he's not the reason this D blows. We need 2 more years of recruiting cycles to get a lot of these guys graduated and on to their lives work.