CSNbbs
A CFB analysis - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: A CFB analysis (/thread-827481.html)

A CFB analysis - shizzle787 - 09-17-2017 02:54 PM

So I ran through some statistics regarding NCAA football:
There are 351 D-1 schools and 254 of them play football.
There are 305 D-2 schools and 169 of them play football.
There are 451 D-3 schools and 253 of them play football.

Here are where things get interesting:
There are almost 35 million people in California and thre are only 21 NCAA schools in the state that play football. There are only two D-2 football schools in Cali and one them (Humboldt State) may drop the sport in November.

In New England, there are 14 D-1 football schools, 12 D-2 football schools, and 32 D-3 schools.

IMO, these areas of the country are where the sport is starting to take a hit due to CTE concerns, budgetary concerns, and decreasing high school participation.
I could see quite a few schools in these areas drop football and it would likely increase the quality at schools that keep it.

I think schools like Sac St., Cal Poly, UMass, URI, CCSU, SCSU, and WCSU might be nixed in the near future for various reasons.

To clarify, I am pro-football but I do not think college football is a populist (everybody has a chance sport) sport like college basketball. It is very much an elitist sport and I think it should stay that way. It's the contrast between the two major college sports that makes them great.