CSNbbs
Btw... damn you BBC!!! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Btw... damn you BBC!!! (/thread-822144.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Btw... damn you BBC!!! - DaSaintFan - 07-18-2017 12:37 PM

You ******** finally did it and caved in.. and made my favorite character of all time a brand new gender.

Yes, folks the new Doctor Who will be a female starting with the upcoming Christmas episode.

WHHHHHYYYYY????

And don't give me that crap about needing a strong female character. I can list off DOZENS of strong female characters on that show. Hell if there was one show that already supported the strong female character genre that was it!!

ARGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Marvel Comics have gone in the crapper (note: not the movies) since all the switches... and I fear this is the nail in the coffin for my all-time favorite TV show.

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - 49RFootballNow - 07-18-2017 12:38 PM

British elites are all cucks.

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - fsquid - 07-18-2017 12:42 PM

Is this a big deal?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - 49RFootballNow - 07-18-2017 12:43 PM

(07-18-2017 12:42 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Is this a big deal?

If you think women shouldn't be doctors, then yes.

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - DaSaintFan - 07-18-2017 12:46 PM

Depends on who you ask, squid...

If you're asking if a company is giving into the Political correctness of the world.. then yes.

Otherwise why change a formula that works. Again, ask Marvel how well some of their changes are being taken in the comic book industry. (If it weren't for their movies, Marvel would be in SERIOUS trouble at the moment financially).

Also the BBC is coming under massive fire for the report that is due out showing they're about to be reamed for their pay inequality issue.

One rumour is they pushed hard to get this out now.. "See we respect women, we gave one of the biggest roles on our Network to a female character".

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - fsquid - 07-18-2017 12:52 PM

It's a TV show.

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - TigerBlue4Ever - 07-18-2017 12:52 PM

They've (Hollywood, not the BBC) done the same thing to the film adaptation of one of my favorite book series of all time, The Dark Tower. ALL throughout the series Roland is described as tall, thin, pale, gaunt and with penetrating blue eyes and they cast a (very fine) black actor for the role. WTF, stick as closely to the book as possible for crying out loud! This movie is going to suck as much as any other Stephen King adaptation.

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - DaSaintFan - 07-18-2017 12:57 PM

(07-18-2017 12:52 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  They've (Hollywood, not the BBC) done the same thing to the film adaptation of one of my favorite book series of all time, The Dark Tower. ALL throughout the series Roland is described as tall, thin, pale, gaunt and with penetrating blue eyes and they cast a (very fine) black actor for the role. WTF, stick as closely to the book as possible for crying out loud! This movie is going to suck as much as any other Stephen King adaptation.

I know.. as much as I like Elba and McConghey, and am planning on going to see this movie... I'm worried about it. The trailer made it look high-action fun, but we'll see.

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - umbluegray - 07-18-2017 12:58 PM

(07-18-2017 12:52 PM)fsquid Wrote:  It's a TV show.

And used to be a very popular one.

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - DefCONNOne - 07-18-2017 12:58 PM

I love Doctor Who and I've been watching since the early '90s. I'm very conflicted about this. On one hand, they already set the template with the female Master (Missy). On the other hand this feels like a ham-fisted attempt to stave off the PC police by doing what DaSaintFan says they're alleged to have done.

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - fsquid - 07-18-2017 12:59 PM

(07-18-2017 12:58 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  

I can tell due to my social media feeds. Is this based on a book series?

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - Hood-rich - 07-18-2017 01:02 PM

lol, nerds.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - TigerBlue4Ever - 07-18-2017 01:05 PM

(07-18-2017 12:57 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 12:52 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  They've (Hollywood, not the BBC) done the same thing to the film adaptation of one of my favorite book series of all time, The Dark Tower. ALL throughout the series Roland is described as tall, thin, pale, gaunt and with penetrating blue eyes and they cast a (very fine) black actor for the role. WTF, stick as closely to the book as possible for crying out loud! This movie is going to suck as much as any other Stephen King adaptation.

I know.. as much as I like Elba and McConghey, and am planning on going to see this movie... I'm worried about it. The trailer made it look high-action fun, but we'll see.

Yep, Elba especially is a fine actor, he was outstanding in Beasts of No Nations. I like McConaughey well enough but he's been over-exposed to me, all those damn Lincoln commercials.

I'll go see it but I suspect I'll be disappointed if I try to compare it to the books. I also suspect there are plans for multiple releases that pertain to the individual books. King is a greedy libtard for whom I lost respect when he released the Green Mile as "dime store novel" installments, ostensibly to bring back a missed bygone era but he didn't mind charging full price for what amounted to 100 page novellas. Edit: However I can see how problematic it would be to try and cover the entire series in one film.

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - fsquid - 07-18-2017 01:07 PM

Funny thing about Elba is no one would cast him in the UK. He had to come to the US to get work.

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - TigerBlue4Ever - 07-18-2017 01:09 PM

(07-18-2017 01:07 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Funny thing about Elba is no one would cast him in the UK. He had to come to the US to get work.

Wait, what about the pervasive racism in the American movie industry??

muh racism

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - TigerBlue4Ever - 07-18-2017 01:10 PM

I'm going to have to re-watch Beasts of No Nation now.

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - bullet - 07-18-2017 01:15 PM

(07-18-2017 12:37 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  You ******** finally did it and caved in.. and made my favorite character of all time a brand new gender.

Yes, folks the new Doctor Who will be a female starting with the upcoming Christmas episode.

WHHHHHYYYYY????

And don't give me that crap about needing a strong female character. I can list off DOZENS of strong female characters on that show. Hell if there was one show that already supported the strong female character genre that was it!!

ARGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Marvel Comics have gone in the crapper (note: not the movies) since all the switches... and I fear this is the nail in the coffin for my all-time favorite TV show.

They are trying to destroy the show. The last companion kept pushing her gayness. And she was the worst companion ever. They were so worried about pushing her gayness, they didn't bother explaining why she would sacrifice the world one minute to save the Doctor and then try to kill him the next in a meaningless gesture that would have no impact. Also, she was unintelligible to American audiences. Probably trying to add a lower class accent (that was one of Christopher Eggleston's reasons for leaving the show after one season-too "classist."). And then the Doctor makes a number of political comments in the past season.

Have you seen the BBC "love" ads? Promoting gays making out on their shows. It seems to be a quota for BBC now. Every show must have at least one gay couple. They've gone beyond incidental into promoting it. With Jack Harkness on the Doctor, it was incidental. Even in Orphan Black where there is a lot of it, its part of the brother's character and its a plot twist with Cosima. But the latest companion keeps trying to throw it in your face. And it just doesn't do anything for the storyline in the series Class where the alien is gay.

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - TigerBlue4Ever - 07-18-2017 01:22 PM

(07-18-2017 01:02 PM)Hood-rich Wrote:  lol, nerds.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - bullet - 07-18-2017 01:23 PM

(07-18-2017 12:59 PM)fsquid Wrote:  

Dr. Who is almost a cult. It ran during the 60s and 70s and was revived about 10 years ago. Think of the popularity of the original Star Trek.

Of course Star Trek had a politically correct captain in Voyager and she was the worst, most dislikable one ever. Probably the least likable person on the show. But then part may have been the concept. That had to make her keep failing, otherwise they return home and there is no series. With the Black Captain Sisko in DS9, on the other hand, they managed to create perhaps the most interesting of the captains. Certainly the most complex. They created lots of strong, interesting female characters, but just flopped with Captain Janeway on Voyager.

RE: Btw... damn you BBC!!! - umbluegray - 07-18-2017 01:23 PM

(07-18-2017 12:59 PM)fsquid Wrote:  

It was a BBC sci-fi TV series that ran for 26 seasons from 1963-1989. After a 17 year hiatus it was rebooted in 2006 and has been on the air ever since. In total 36 seasons for the franchise so far.

The main character is the Doctor. Hi name is never given, thus... Doctor Who.

He's an alien that travels the universe throughout time.

His physical form can regenerate. That's why there have been different actors playing the same title character.

It's not like "which Darin Stevens do you like better: Dick York (1964–1969) Dick Sargent (1969–1972)". Here two different actors played the same character.

Each regeneration of the doctor is still "the doctor" but he's different, too.

In fandom is generally agreed that there are twelve “official” Doctors: William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi.

The thirteenth Doctor will be played by a woman, Jodie Whittaker. It marks the first time the doctor will have regenerated as a woman.

However, there's another doctor played by John Hurt who is considered "the War Doctor". He made a brief appearance in an episode.