CSNbbs
Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine (/thread-820672.html)

Pages: 1 2

Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - AtlantaMountaineer - 06-23-2017 12:20 PM

Picked up the Phil Steele Football mag in Barnes and Noble in Atlanta this morning. Preseason picks are App, Ark State, Troy, Louisiana, USA, NMSU, Idaho, GS, ULM, GSU, TX State and CC.

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - RamblinRedWolf - 06-23-2017 12:47 PM

I'm assuming he has Astate and Troy tied at 2nd?

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - AtlantaMountaineer - 06-23-2017 01:00 PM

(06-23-2017 12:47 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  I'm assuming he has Astate and Troy tied at 2nd?

Nope. He actually has App and State tied for #1, #3 Troy, #4 Louisiana, #5 USA, NMSU, Idaho and GS tied for 6, ULM and GSU tied for #9 and Texas State and CC tied for #11

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - HighlandsApp - 06-23-2017 01:09 PM

I would rather be picked for second behind Troy. It is tougher being the favorite. I do hope AState kicks but out of conference though.....

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - RamblinRedWolf - 06-23-2017 02:36 PM

Wow that's gotta be the highest I've seen stAte ranked out of all the preseason publications out there

Still a lil hesitant to take phil's hype considering our Oline depth and other question marks but this program has definitely shown to be scrappy I will say

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - TrueBlueAlum - 06-23-2017 02:39 PM

Right where we want to be...

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - CoastalAlum2011 - 06-23-2017 02:49 PM

I have no delusions that my Chanticleers are going to come out of the gate and win the conference championship in our inaugural season like we did in baseball.

However, anyone who pegs us at dead last in the conference just because it's our first FBS year is just being lazy at best in their analysis.

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - sdcritter - 06-23-2017 02:59 PM

Surprises me on stAte. Lots of ??? for us.

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - JCGSU - 06-23-2017 04:43 PM

(06-23-2017 02:39 PM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  Right where we want to be...

Yeah with a new OC it is like starting over again no way really to predict the effect of a new coach that is basically the offensive HC so not really worried yet. Not to mention we have actually had a real S&C coach all year. If we finish there the coaches and AD are going to have a miserable 12 months and with Cook getting a two year deal we will just have to suffer through it likely for an additional year. I think barring a three win or lower outcome nobody gets fired. ArkSt and GS on paper have the best talent hitting the field this year unfortunately for us many are young and coaching seems to play a bigger part than it needs to sometimes. App and Troy are set in the coaching and its not like from top of the Belt to the bottom there is a huge talent gap. We killed in 2016 but one class does not really affect anything especially when you crap the bed in recruiting the year after. With our HC I would not be surprised to finish that bad but with Cook coming on board I would also not be surprised to finish first.

Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - WolfBird - 06-23-2017 04:49 PM

(06-23-2017 02:59 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  Surprises me on stAte. Lots of ??? for us.

Our questions aren't related to conference play. Phil knows that by now. The two best teams don't play each other so Phil caught a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - JCGSU - 06-23-2017 04:59 PM

(06-23-2017 02:49 PM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  I have no delusions that my Chanticleers are going to come out of the gate and win the conference championship in our inaugural season like we did in baseball.

However, anyone who pegs us at dead last in the conference just because it's our first FBS year is just being lazy at best in their analysis.

Well that is not why when it comes to Phil Steele I assure you. Nobody is perfect by any means but he is the most accurate overall and studied CCU as much as he did FSU. The guy brought in someone to ensure his MAC analysis was accurate for goodness sake. It is the way he is and it is his life. This is not some hack ESPN d bag that spent five seconds looking at last years Sun Belt standings. He wants to be just as right about the Sun Belt as much as the SEC. I saw him give a run down on GS in our first year without looking at any notes what so ever.

These are just predictions and knowing how a FCS team is going to do out of the gate is almost impossible.

A picture of his office.

[Image: AR-160929976.jpg?MaxW=880&v=201411210943]

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - USAJag2011 - 06-23-2017 05:02 PM

(06-23-2017 04:59 PM)JCGSU Wrote:  
(06-23-2017 02:49 PM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  I have no delusions that my Chanticleers are going to come out of the gate and win the conference championship in our inaugural season like we did in baseball.

Well that is not why when it comes to Phil Steele I assure you. Nobody is perfect by any means but he is the most accurate overall and studied CCU as much as he did FSU. The guy brought in someone to ensure his MAC analysis was accurate for goodness sake. It is the way he is and it is his life. This is not some hack ESPN d bag that spent five seconds looking at last years Sun Belt standings. He wants to be just as right about the Sun Belt as much as the SEC. I saw him give a run down on GS in our first year without looking at any notes what so ever.

These are just predictions and knowing how a FCS team is going to do out of the gate is almost impossible.

A picture of his office.

[Image: AR-160929976.jpg?MaxW=880&v=201411210943]

Yeah, Phil Steele is the only preseason analist I really put stock in. He does a ton of research and talks to every coach for more than an hour. He is right more times than not.

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - JCGSU - 06-23-2017 05:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtIQsIZiD-o

Not perfect as nobody ever is but tell me of any other national talking head not affiliated with the Belt that could break down the conference like that. Strangely enough he was doing it on Fox Sports Ohio....?

Noticed he said for GS it was important not to mess with the offense.....again notice he said it was important for GS not to mess with the offense....03-banghead

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - TroyFootball05 - 06-23-2017 11:29 PM

I know he gave you guys 10's and 11's for DL, LB, and DB. Are you guys that bad on defense??

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - CoastalAlum2011 - 06-24-2017 07:23 AM

(06-23-2017 11:29 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

I know he gave you guys 10's and 11's for DL, LB, and DB. Are you guys that bad on defense??

At DB, we may be one of the worst teams in the country. Have been for 3 or 4 years now.

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - Golota - 06-24-2017 11:10 AM

Dude needs to step his suit game up if he going to be on TV. Looks like a suit from Burlington Coat factory needs get it tightened up some. Lol

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - EigenEagle - 06-24-2017 02:12 PM

Steele rated our RBs 4th behind App, Troy, and NMSU. So he agrees with what I said in the Athlon thread.

He also says App is an Access Bowl Dark Horse, but will probably need to beat UGA to do it.

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - AppManDG - 06-24-2017 03:14 PM

(06-23-2017 05:48 PM)troutbummike Wrote:  
(06-23-2017 05:07 PM)JCGSU Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtIQsIZiD-o

Not perfect as nobody ever is but tell me of any other national talking head not affiliated with the Belt that could break down the conference like that. Strangely enough he was doing it on Fox Sports Ohio....?

Noticed he said for GS it was important not to mess with the offense.....again notice he said it was important for GS not to mess with the offense....03-banghead

That's old, and I closed the window the second I heard Apple-ashun State.

Couple of Yankees...

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - Seminole Indian - 06-24-2017 04:59 PM

(06-23-2017 12:47 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  I'm assuming he has Astate and Troy tied at 2nd?
If your coach can't go undefeated in SBC with this team he needs to resign as OC/QB Coach, which is what he is in 2017.

You guys let him get by winning 7 regular season games with a team that should have won 10-11 games, and HE added insult to injury by losing to UCA. Should have won at least eight game with a chimpanzee as your HC.

When are you guys going to hold him accountable?

RE: Phil Steele Preseason Magazine - OsageJ - 06-24-2017 05:45 PM

(06-24-2017 04:59 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  
If your coach can't go undefeated in SBC with this team he needs to resign as OC/QB Coach, which is what he is in 2017.

You guys let him get by winning 7 regular season games with a team that should have won 10-11 games, and HE added insult to injury by losing to UCA. Should have won at least eight game with a chimpanzee as your HC.

When are you guys going to hold him accountable?

Lol...glad you are back with your agenda against Anderson. Really wish we knew how he dissed you...Lol....or nahh.