CSNbbs
Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball (/thread-816883.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - cpawstoney - 05-02-2017 11:25 AM

Mamoudou Diarra (DEE-are-eh) has signed a scholarship to attend the University of Cincinnati and play basketball for the Bearcats beginning with the 2017-18 season, head coach Mick Cronin announced Tuesday.

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - Bearcatbdub - 05-02-2017 11:47 AM

Lots of length in this recruiting class. 6'9 forwards and 6'5 guards. Good deal.

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - dj3600 - 05-02-2017 01:25 PM

Tall athletic players sound like mick is recruiting for up tempo style or maybe I'm just hoping lol

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - BearcatMan - 05-02-2017 02:30 PM

The more I watch him, the more it seems like him hitting a college weight/conditioning program could turn him into a JJ type guy defensively. Extremely long wingspan and blocking instincts.

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - stevenashville - 05-02-2017 03:39 PM

(05-02-2017 02:30 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  The more I watch him, the more it seems like him hitting a college weight/conditioning program could turn him into a JJ type guy defensively. Extremely long wingspan and blocking instincts.

Any links to highlights? I've found one or two videos with him (and not the similarly named UConn commit), but nothing substantial.

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - UCGrad1992 - 05-02-2017 09:20 PM

Here's another article on Diarra:

Quote:Cincinnati Basketball: Former Washington signee Mamoudou Diarra commits to Mick Cronin and Cincinnati.

2017 three-star small forward Mamoudou Diarra has committed to Cincinnati over UConn, Washington, and others. Diarra was once a Washington signee, but followed in the footsteps of Michael Porter Jr and others by being granted a release of their Letter of Intent from Washington.

Diarra is the No. 190 senior in the nation, according to 247Sports. He is the third-best senior in the state of South Carolina as well.

According to ESPN’s scouting report on Diarra, he is a “very long and athletic forward that has a great motor and excellent versatility.” At 6’9″, there is very little the Mali native cannot do on the hardwood. In transition, he runs the floor extremely well, while in the half-court he creates mismatches on both ends of the floor. ESPN adds that though he is a rather raw prospect, he has plenty of upside in the coming years.

Mick Cronin adds his fourth senior commitment with the addition of Diarra. With Diarra, the Bearcats now have the third-highest rated senior recruiting class among AAC members, according to 247Sports. Three-star shooting guard Keith Williams, three-star shooting guard Trevor Moore, three-star center Eliel Nsoseme, and Diarra look to be the quartet of freshmen additions next fall. Seemingly no other uncommitted prospects have serious interest in Cincinnati.

Though Cincinnati has established themselves as a great recruiting program, this senior class is the worst since 2012. Nevertheless, the Bearcats should anticipate a placement on the preseason AP Top 25 next year.

Diarra Commits

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - rtaylor - 05-02-2017 09:28 PM

(05-02-2017 09:20 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Here's another article on Diarra:

Quote:Cincinnati Basketball: Former Washington signee Mamoudou Diarra commits to Mick Cronin and Cincinnati.

2017 three-star small forward Mamoudou Diarra has committed to Cincinnati over UConn, Washington, and others. Diarra was once a Washington signee, but followed in the footsteps of Michael Porter Jr and others by being granted a release of their Letter of Intent from Washington.

Diarra is the No. 190 senior in the nation, according to 247Sports. He is the third-best senior in the state of South Carolina as well.

According to ESPN’s scouting report on Diarra, he is a “very long and athletic forward that has a great motor and excellent versatility.” At 6’9″, there is very little the Mali native cannot do on the hardwood. In transition, he runs the floor extremely well, while in the half-court he creates mismatches on both ends of the floor. ESPN adds that though he is a rather raw prospect, he has plenty of upside in the coming years.

Mick Cronin adds his fourth senior commitment with the addition of Diarra. With Diarra, the Bearcats now have the third-highest rated senior recruiting class among AAC members, according to 247Sports. Three-star shooting guard Keith Williams, three-star shooting guard Trevor Moore, three-star center Eliel Nsoseme, and Diarra look to be the quartet of freshmen additions next fall. Seemingly no other uncommitted prospects have serious interest in Cincinnati.

Though Cincinnati has established themselves as a great recruiting program, this senior class is the worst since 2012. Nevertheless, the Bearcats should anticipate a placement on the preseason AP Top 25 next year.

Diarra Commits

Worst since 2012. Ouch.

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - UCGrad1992 - 05-02-2017 09:36 PM

(05-02-2017 09:28 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  

Diarra Commits

Worst since 2012. Ouch.

Yeah, I saw that too. Maybe on paper ratings but how it translates on the court TBD...

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - BearcatMan - 05-02-2017 10:12 PM

(05-02-2017 09:36 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(05-02-2017 09:28 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  

Diarra Commits

Worst since 2012. Ouch.

Yeah, I saw that too. Maybe on paper ratings but how it translates on the court TBD...

Wasn't that class just Titus Rubles?

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - rath v2.0 - 05-02-2017 10:25 PM

Which 2012? Unless I am missing someone:

2011 - 12 was Dion Dixon and Yancey Gates.

2012-13 was Cash, Cheikh Moodge (sp?) and Jaquan Parker

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - levydl - 05-03-2017 11:05 AM

(05-02-2017 10:25 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Which 2012? Unless I am missing someone:

2011 - 12 was Dion Dixon and Yancey Gates.

2012-13 was Cash, Cheikh Moodge (sp?) and Jaquan Parker

I think they mean high school senior class? In 2012, Rubles and David Nyarsuk were the recruits. And I think Nyarsuk signed pretty late, so he was probably not even rated in that class, although he was not a highly rated recruit, so it wouldn't have changed much. Shaq Thomas was in the previous class, but he redshirted, so he was sorta in that class too.

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - Ring of Black - 05-03-2017 10:39 PM

(05-02-2017 01:25 PM)dj3600 Wrote:  Tall athletic players sound like mick is recruiting for up tempo style or maybe I'm just hoping lol

With Broome penciled in at starting PG, good guess!

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - Lush - 05-03-2017 11:25 PM

i'm patiently waiting for a ruben patterson type of small forward. but this is a nice pickup this late. i'm excited for him to suit up. just need a yancy level big and a top 50 point guard (a stretch) for aught eighteen

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - bearcatmark - 05-04-2017 07:42 AM

(05-03-2017 10:39 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  
(05-02-2017 01:25 PM)dj3600 Wrote:  Tall athletic players sound like mick is recruiting for up tempo style or maybe I'm just hoping lol

With Broome penciled in at starting PG, good guess!

I would bet UC runs more with Broome (and Cumberland who loves to run when he gets the rebound), but I suspect UC still won't really be an up tempo team or play an up tempo style. Nothing wrong with that. I do think the fast break will be a bigger part of the offense though.

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - rath v2.0 - 05-04-2017 07:54 AM

I absolutely love that Cumblerand is a coast to coast freight train to the rim when he gets a rebound.

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - BeerCat - 05-04-2017 08:14 AM

(05-04-2017 07:54 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I absolutely love that Cumblerand is a coast to coast freight train to the rim when he gets a rebound.

Except for all of the charging fouls. He needs to clean those up.

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - rath v2.0 - 05-04-2017 08:25 AM

I'm ok with them in general. Half of them are not charges he's just so much bigger than the guys he is trucking while they try to get the hell out of the way that the refs call a sympathy foul.

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - JFlight21 - 05-04-2017 08:33 AM

(05-04-2017 08:14 AM)BeerCat Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 07:54 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I absolutely love that Cumblerand is a coast to coast freight train to the rim when he gets a rebound.

Except for all of the charging fouls. He needs to clean those up.

I'm sure developing his pull up game is a point of emphasis...

As far as the tempo, I have to agree with Mark. This team will have the ability to push and they will because of the athletes/skill on the perimeter, but you can't forget about Clark and Washington. Those two are so good in the post whether it is Washington scoring or Clark creating offense for himself and others. Why run against UConn when you can dump it into those two and let them dominate?

We talked about the balance the team had this past year but that was more a commentary on the number of guys that could score. Even more dangerous is balance in terms of styles of play. Broome will bring that to the table. As solid as Troy was for four years, he wasn't a serious threat from deep and he didn't have the speed to play a full court game or break down his man in the half court. If the hype on Broome re: his speed and creativity with the ball is warranted then I think this could be a top 20 offense.

And for those worried about his 3 point percentage at Sacred Heart, he shot the ball over 7 times a game and I'd bet a good number were off the dribble, which are far more difficult than catch and shoot situations. Look at his form, it's textbook and his percentages should see a good bump as he gets better looks and doesn't have such a high usage. I don't want to compare his talent to Kilpatrick's, but SK saw his 3 point percentages go down from his freshman/sophomore years to his junior/senior years because the handled the ball more often. I don't think anyone would argue he became a worse shooter...

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - JFlight21 - 05-04-2017 08:41 AM

(05-04-2017 08:25 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I'm ok with them in general. Half of them are not charges he's just so much bigger than the guys he is trucking while they try to get the hell out of the way that the refs call a sympathy foul.

I agree. I'm a little on the younger side so I don't honestly remember another wing at UC that could go like Cumberland in the open court. Maybe Lance Stephenson? I'd much rather see someone demonstrate aggressiveness like Jarron than watch Kevin Johnson short arm transition layups for four years...

RE: Diarra Signs with Cincinnati Men’s Basketball - Marcus - 05-04-2017 09:20 AM

(05-04-2017 08:25 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I'm ok with them in general. Half of them are not charges he's just so much bigger than the guys he is trucking while they try to get the hell out of the way that the refs call a sympathy foul.

Same here. It's beautiful to see UC finally have a player like that. I have a feeling Broome will be a much better compliment to Cumberland and the team in general next season. We need a PG who is quick and knows how to push the ball.