CSNbbs
NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. (/thread-815455.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - Indiana Bones - 04-14-2017 09:46 AM

Maybe this is really a good time for East Carolina to succeed from the rest of North Carolina to create the 51st state. Greenville would certainly be the capital and ECU would certainly be the Falgship school of the state.

Greenville is substantially bigger than Morgantown (WVU) & Charleston (capital) combined but simply because of a lack of arbitrary make believe lines & a lack of a separate state government we aren't a Flagship university but WVU is. Moreover, the population of East Carolina is nearly twice as much as the population of WVU.

Obviously I'm halfway being facetious but if NC politics actually started to be as detrimental towards ECU on the level people are speculating it could, then don't put anything past the good people of East Carolina. As silly as such a phenomenon sounds, it actually would benefit the region substantially simply due to the allocation of federal income and the promotion of ECU. Maybe then we would garner enough attention and notoriety to where people would stop calling us Eastern Carolina. As many are already aware, UNC in particular has a longstanding history of hindering not only ECU but our entire region from receiving adequate health care and funding and has inhibited the growth of the university as a whole. Such a move would help to correct all of that.

[Image: 5e34c4e65caeba2f3a56f1fada7be959.jpg]
[Image: 46038672.jpg?t=1478370540]

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - billybobby777 - 04-14-2017 09:55 AM

I've been telling people for awhile now that ECU was a flagship.

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - Chappy - 04-14-2017 09:57 AM

My first thought was it'd be a damn poor state, but then I remembered that's where all the beaches are.

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - 8BitPirate - 04-14-2017 10:07 AM

Grab Ft Bragg and Fayetteville. Billions in tax dollars spent there. The rest of the state ignores its existence anyway....

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - Huskypride - 04-14-2017 10:10 AM

why stop there just become your own country

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - GrayBeard - 04-14-2017 10:13 AM

Ugh...stupid....My bet is that it would dramatically increase the tax burden on the citizens.

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - ECBrad - 04-14-2017 10:33 AM

(04-14-2017 10:13 AM)GrayBeard Wrote:  Ugh...stupid....My bet is that it would dramatically increase the tax burden on the citizens.

Probably not, most of what gets spent on eastern north carolina is federal highway dollars and that is funded through the gas tax. It would be nice to get commercial fishing laws that benefited the fishermen in the east instead of the lawyers and their charter boats in Raleigh. The funny thing is we might have a debate over balancing PR statehood and they will want another solidly republican state to balance it. I don't really think East Carolina will become a state but there is some logic to it.

I don't think Greenville would be the capital though. Greenville and Wilmington would fight about it too much and we'd end up with something like Kinston to be more in the middle of all the major population centers.

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - PuddlePirate - 04-14-2017 11:00 AM

You underestimate the hold that the Death Star in Chapel Hell has on the drones of the eastern part of this state. These idiots would fight a revolution rather than not have the Holes as their flagship. DOA

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - SublimeKnight - 04-14-2017 11:29 AM

I thought this was going to be a mistaken bump of a two week old thread.

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - dawgitall - 04-14-2017 12:24 PM

I noticed that I'm just inside the border on your map. We would most likely be poorer than WV or Mississippi regardless of the tourist dollars from the beaches.

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - Niner National - 04-14-2017 12:28 PM

(04-14-2017 12:24 PM)dawgitall Wrote:  I noticed that I'm just inside the border on your map. We would most likely be poorer than WV or Mississippi regardless of the tourist dollars from the beaches.

Probably. Eastern NC is pretty depressing until you get to the coast. I know there are a few other communities that have some decent economic activity, but by and large, eastern NC is a downtrodden place.

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - ECUGrad07 - 04-14-2017 12:30 PM

(04-14-2017 12:28 PM)Niner National Wrote:  
(04-14-2017 12:24 PM)dawgitall Wrote:  I noticed that I'm just inside the border on your map. We would most likely be poorer than WV or Mississippi regardless of the tourist dollars from the beaches.

Probably. Eastern NC is pretty depressing until you get to the coast. I know there are a few other communities that have some decent economic activity, but by and large, eastern NC is a downtrodden place.

I wouldn't say depressing. I would say rural and beautiful. There are some dumps, for sure... but there are dumps everywhere.

It just depends on what you like. I like rural.

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - ShockerInKC - 04-14-2017 12:35 PM

So is "Eastern Carolina" East North Carolina, South Carolina, or a little of both. If you are leaving one out you're missing out on beachfront property*

Forgive me 'cause I grew up in flyover land, west of the Midwest, but still in the eastern 1/2 of the United States. Go figure.

*1 of the 2 spoils of war. #2 is oil.

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - ECUGrad07 - 04-14-2017 12:37 PM

(04-14-2017 12:35 PM)ShockerInKC Wrote:  So is "Eastern Carolina" East North Carolina, South Carolina, or a little of both. If you are leaving one out you're missing out on beachfront property*

Forgive me 'cause I grew up in flyover land, west of the Midwest, but still in the eastern 1/2 of the United States. Go figure.

*1 of the 2 spoils of war. #2 is oil.

So... EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY is in Eastern North Carolina. We would become the state of East Carolina. South Carolina and the redneck riviera can go to hell.

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - dawgitall - 04-14-2017 12:38 PM

Oh and we would also have 3 of the top 20 opioid abuse cities in the nation, #1 Wilmington, #12 Jacksonville, and #18 Fayetteville. It might revive the film industry in Wilmington with all the quality reality TV shows you could create with the disfunction run amok.

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - Niner National - 04-14-2017 12:41 PM

(04-14-2017 12:30 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  

I wouldn't say depressing. I would say rural and beautiful. There are some dumps, for sure... but there are dumps everywhere.

The open land is beautiful, no.doubt. I was speaking strictly to the built environment. It's an area that has had its soul sucked out, leaving behind a wake of dilapidated buildings, until you get to the coast.

There isn't much economic opportunity there for people that aren't farm owners or owners of businesses that service farms.

Farm labor and slaughter house labor don't get paid much. Further to the east, tourism employment doesn't pay much either.

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - dawgitall - 04-14-2017 12:47 PM

(04-14-2017 12:30 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  

I prefer rural too, but Eastern NC is economically depressing. It is nice if you have $ but if you can't get a decent job beautiful doesn't do much for you.

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - dawgitall - 04-14-2017 12:54 PM

There are really two North Carolinas. The vibrant metro areas (Charlotte, Triad, Triangle) and the poor rural areas (the mountains and eastern NC). There are a few exceptions like Asheville, Boone, Greenville, Wilmington but their reach is limited.

NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU f... - Westhoff123 - 04-14-2017 01:09 PM

THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!

RE: NC politics: East Carolina to be the 51st state, Greenville as capital, ECU flagship. - canewton - 04-14-2017 01:19 PM

This seems stupid.