CSNbbs
Jordan Ruined Basketball - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Jordan Ruined Basketball (/thread-815140.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Jordan Ruined Basketball - Fitbud - 04-11-2017 01:05 PM

Michael Jordan is considered the best player to ever play the game.

Yet he didn't score the most points or

Had the most triple doubles or

Had the most assists or

The most championships. However, people usually point to his six championships as proof.

For this reason, many star players such as Lebron James and Kevin Durant have gone to other teams in search of championships.

There is no more loyalty to a team. There is no more building of a team around good players. Now it's just the gathering of talent for that championship.

What are your thoughts?

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - HerdZoned - 04-11-2017 01:23 PM

If I had to choose the best basketball player of all time, I'm sticking with who Ive always said and that's Bill Russell. Even though I'm a Lakers fan and despised everything Celtic Green, there is no denying what the man done over his 13 year playing career.

11× NBA champion
5× NBA Most Valuable Player
12× NBA All-Star
NBA All-Star Game MVP
3× All-NBA First Team
8× All-NBA Second Team
NBA All-Defensive First Team
4× NBA rebounding champion

If I was to sit down an make a list Jordan might make my Top 10 but there are more than 3 I can think of Id put a head of him. Jordan came along at the right time. If it wasn't for Magic and Bird the NBA would have most likely went under before 1984 and Jordan would have never had a chance to even showcase his talents.

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - MTPiKapp - 04-11-2017 01:26 PM

100% Jordan is the GOAT

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - USM@FTL - 04-11-2017 01:33 PM

Yeah, I can't watch an NBA game since he retired. And I was a Kareem fan.

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - Monarchist13 - 04-11-2017 01:46 PM

(04-11-2017 01:05 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Michael Jordan is considered the best player to ever play the game.

Had the most assists or

The most championships. However, people usually point to his six championships as proof.

For this reason, many star players such as Lebron James and Kevin Durant have gone to other teams in search of championships.

There is no more loyalty to a team. There is no more building of a team around good players. Now it's just the gathering of talent for that championship.

What are your thoughts?

Wilt left the Sixers. Earl Monroe left the Bullets. Moses Malone left the Rockets. Kareem left the bucks. Drexler left the Blazers. Barkley left the Sixers. Shaq left the Magic. KG left the TWolves. TMac left the Raptors and Magic. Chasing championships is nothing new in the NBA.

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - topper1296 - 04-11-2017 01:49 PM

(04-11-2017 01:26 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  100% Jordan is the GOAT

+1 and since he retired, I don't have a lot of interest in the NBA until they get to the playoffs.

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - HerdZoned - 04-11-2017 01:53 PM

(04-11-2017 01:46 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Wilt left the Sixers. Earl Monroe left the Bullets. Moses Malone left the Rockets. Kareem left the bucks. Drexler left the Blazers. Barkley left the Sixers. Shaq left the Magic. KG left the TWolves. TMac left the Raptors and Magic. Chasing championships is nothing new in the NBA.

Wilt left the Sixers.
Earl Monroe left the Bullets.
Moses Malone left the Rockets.
Kareem left the bucks.
----------------------------
Drexler left the Blazers.
Barkley left the Sixers.
Shaq left the Magic.
KG left the TWolves.
TMac left the Raptors and Magic.

Chasing championships is nothing new in the NBA.

The 1st 4 on your lest was before Free Agency. And had to be traded, the others moved on their own.

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - MTPiKapp - 04-11-2017 02:22 PM

Jordan didn't need to go anywhere because few have ever elevated the play of their teammates as well as he did and for my money very few have ever even come close to his killer instinct, his clutch, his will to win, his competitive intensity.

That is why LeBron will never be the GOAT, he doesn't even have Kobe's killer instinct, let alone MJ's.

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - Monarchist13 - 04-11-2017 02:26 PM

(04-11-2017 01:53 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(04-11-2017 01:46 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Wilt left the Sixers. Earl Monroe left the Bullets. Moses Malone left the Rockets. Kareem left the bucks. Drexler left the Blazers. Barkley left the Sixers. Shaq left the Magic. KG left the TWolves. TMac left the Raptors and Magic. Chasing championships is nothing new in the NBA.

Wilt left the Sixers.
Earl Monroe left the Bullets.
Moses Malone left the Rockets.
Kareem left the bucks.
----------------------------
Drexler left the Blazers.
Barkley left the Sixers.
Shaq left the Magic.
KG left the TWolves.
TMac left the Raptors and Magic.

Chasing championships is nothing new in the NBA.

The 1st 4 on your lest was before Free Agency. And had to be traded, the others moved on their own.

Is demanding a trade to a winning team any different?

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - Eagleholic - 04-11-2017 02:55 PM

(04-11-2017 01:05 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Michael Jordan is considered the best player to ever play the game.

Had the most assists or

What are your thoughts?

By your reasoning, it wouldn't be Jordan that ruined basketball, as he was always with the Bulls. But it would be the people that point to his championships that ruined it.

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - TribeNiner - 04-11-2017 02:57 PM

I might go with Jordan at about 3rd or 4th.

Wilt Chamberlain:

4x NBA MVP
13x All-star
2x NBA Defensive Team
NBA ROTY
7x NBA Scoring Champion
11x NBA Rebounding Leader
NBA Assists Leader 1968

Top 10 highest single game points:

1. Wilt Chamberlain 100
2. Kobe Bryant 81
3. Wilt Chamberlain 78
4. Wilt Chamberlain 73
4. Wilt Chamberlain 73
4. David Thompson 73
7. Wilt Chamberlain 72
8. Elgin Baylor 71
8. David Robinson 71
10. Wilt Chamberlain 70
10. Devin Booker (about three weeks ago) 70

He appears 9 more times if you go top-20.

Career Average 30 points, 23 rebounds

Record for highest single-season scoring average (50.4)
Record for single-game rebounding (55)
Record for highest single-season rebounding average (27.2)
Records for single-season scoring, single-season rebounding, etc.

Averaged more than 30 points per game for 8 straight seasons and more than 20 rebounds per game for 13 straight seasons.

There's simply never been someone that dominant, only 2 championships or not.

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - Fitbud - 04-11-2017 03:26 PM

(04-11-2017 01:23 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  If I had to choose the best basketball player of all time, I'm sticking with who Ive always said and that's Bill Russell. Even though I'm a Lakers fan and despised everything Celtic Green, there is no denying what the man done over his 13 year playing career.

11× NBA champion
5× NBA Most Valuable Player
12× NBA All-Star
NBA All-Star Game MVP
3× All-NBA First Team
8× All-NBA Second Team
NBA All-Defensive First Team
4× NBA rebounding champion

If I was to sit down an make a list Jordan might make my Top 10 but there are more than 3 I can think of Id put a head of him. Jordan came along at the right time. If it wasn't for Magic and Bird the NBA would have most likely went under before 1984 and Jordan would have never had a chance to even showcase his talents.

You have a good point. Does Jordan have the record in any meaningful category?

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - Fitbud - 04-11-2017 03:29 PM

(04-11-2017 02:55 PM)Eagleholic Wrote:  

Had the most assists or

What are your thoughts?

By your reasoning, it wouldn't be Jordan that ruined basketball, as he was always with the Bulls. But it would be the people that point to his championships that ruined it.

Good point. I didn't mean to blame Jordan but more it's because of him that the game changed.

Even with fouls. Remember the Jordan rules? Well now because of Jordan, you can't even foul someone hard.

Towards the end of his career, Jordan would get the foul if you even breathed on him.

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - TribeNiner - 04-11-2017 03:36 PM

(04-11-2017 03:29 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  

Had the most assists or

What are your thoughts?

Good point. I didn't mean to blame Jordan but more it's because of him that the game changed.

Even with fouls. Remember the Jordan rules? Well now because of Jordan, you can't even foul someone hard.

Towards the end of his career, Jordan would get the foul if you even breathed on him.

Don't forget the huge push-off that he used to do that should've been an offensive foul every time. One of his most iconic shots is of him shoving the defender off with his forearm and then pulling up for a wide-open game winner. That's always bugged the crap out of me.

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - Fitbud - 04-11-2017 03:38 PM

(04-11-2017 03:36 PM)TribeNiner Wrote:  
(04-11-2017 03:29 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  

Had the most assists or

What are your thoughts?

Don't forget the huge push-off that he used to do that should've been an offensive foul every time. One of his most iconic shots is of him shoving the defender off with his forearm and then pulling up for a wide-open game winner. That's always bugged the crap out of me.

Yup, he did that to beat Utah for the championship. If they had called that, Utah might have won the championship.

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - ODUBB35 - 04-11-2017 03:47 PM

I would put Wilt Chamberlain as #1.

Aside from the numbers (dude AVERAGED 50 ppg one season), he was so dominant that the NBA had to drastically change the rules of the game to keep it competitive. (wider lane, 3 sec. rule).

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - WKUFan518 - 04-12-2017 07:39 AM

NBA now is all about players now more then ever...The new commish has completely given up any power he has and now the players are running the league...They sit whenever they want to, they develop their "own brand", pretty much do whatever they want, its getting out of hand fast and why NBA ratings are at an all time low. Regular season time and time again is shown to be meaningless and players and coaches treat it as such.........We all might as well fast forward to June to see if Warriors play Cavs or Celtics?

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - DNEagle - 04-12-2017 07:55 AM

(04-11-2017 02:22 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  That is why LeBron will never be the GOAT, he doesn't even have Kobe's killer instinct, let alone MJ's.

Hear Hear!!!

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - Memphis Blazer - 04-12-2017 08:12 AM

Had the most assists or

What are your thoughts?

Winning the championship has always been the goal of sports. It still is. "Gathering talent" is just a new tool to do that, given the rules of the free agency, something Jordan cannot be blamed for.

RE: Jordan Ruined Basketball - VA49er - 04-12-2017 08:26 AM

(04-11-2017 01:05 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  For this reason, many star players such as Lebron James and Kevin Durant have gone to other teams in search of championships.

What are your thoughts?

None of that is Jordan's fault. Jordan made the Bulls a power, he didn't leave to join other players to create a power. Modern players take the easier route by joining up. Not saying that's bad, it's just a different era. However, I give more respect to how Jordan accomplished his goals.