CSNbbs
State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition (/thread-814470.html)

Pages: 1 2

State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - Side Show Joe - 04-04-2017 05:38 PM

Many C-USA programs are about to hold their annual spring games. With that in mind, where does your program stand as spring ball wraps up? Have new faces stepped up and claimed open spots in the starting lineup? Are there any more impact players set to arrive before the fall? And, at this point, what do you think your program's record might be by the end of the season?

I know a lot can and will change by the end of this season, but it is nice to get an idea about where fans feel each program is at this point.

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - techdawg28 - 04-04-2017 06:47 PM

J'Mar Smith should do just fine replacing Higgins. I've heard people compare former Tulane WR Teddy Veal to The General (Quinton Patton), a comparison that Tech fans would love to see come true.

I've heard good things about the defense for the most part. We've got some pretty good recruits coming in, but I'm not sure how soon they could make an impact. Might need a grad transfer or two to make the unit solid.

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - MUther - 04-05-2017 03:51 AM

I feel like not a ****** thing has changed from a barely 3-9 team for the better. I feel like our starters were predetermined instead of being selected on merit. I think we'll be moderately more successful, which translates to just enough to keep people in their jobs. I think we're going to be mediocre at best for the foreseeable future.

Be sure your staffs have a football coaching for dummies manual handy to counter our tricky 3/4 of a page playbook.

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - OwlFamily - 04-05-2017 07:26 AM

With the Lane Kiffin era no one knows. Hopes are high, There is a "Buzz" about the program in the area. I have no idea if a 4-8 or an 8-4 is on the horizon. I know we start off with a hard opponent in Navy this year.

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - Eagleholic - 04-05-2017 11:49 AM

At Southern Miss, we have a QB competition ongoing as well as a few positions up for grabs on the OL. The team should be more than solid at RB, WR, and TE. On defense, it appears S and LB are the major concerns right now with experience and depth at CB, DE, and DT.

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - owlcountry40 - 04-05-2017 01:15 PM

FAU has a lot of left over injuries from the fall on the Oline and the LB core but we get a lot of guys back soon and also an influx of some Juco guys at those needed positions.
FAU returns so many positions players next year it's crazy we lost 1-2 real impact players from last year. We will be better on experience and some depth alone.

Devin "Motor" Singletary will be the best player in the conference next year.

Also as for the Navy game we get a huge advantage by playing them week one so we will have time to prepare

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - PantherDoc - 04-05-2017 02:32 PM

My FIU Panthers are going into the Spring Game with a certain buzz that hasn't been felt since Mario Cristobals final year. I know that's not saying much but the Butch Davis effect has been felt. Considering the coaching change and the ton of experience coming back on offense the bar is set at bowl game or bust. It's yet to be seen how these players handle higher expectations. Also very interested to see how our students, alumni and community show up and support Butch and the boys. Very excited for the new season.

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - HogDawg - 04-05-2017 02:58 PM

(04-04-2017 06:47 PM)techdawg28 Wrote:  J'Mar Smith should do just fine replacing Higgins. I've heard people compare former Tulane WR Teddy Veal to The General (Quinton Patton), a comparison that Tech fans would love to see come true.

I've heard good things about the defense for the most part. We've got some pretty good recruits coming in, but I'm not sure how soon they could make an impact. Might need a grad transfer or two to make the unit solid.

For the benefit of our CUSA listening audience, Quinton Patton was an ALL World WR for LA Tech back in 2011 & 2012, just before Tech entered CUSA. Patton is currently entering his 5th year in the NFL. He just signed a new contract with the NY Jets, after spending the last 4 years with the 49er's.

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - Eagleholic - 04-05-2017 04:46 PM

(04-05-2017 02:58 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 06:47 PM)techdawg28 Wrote:  J'Mar Smith should do just fine replacing Higgins. I've heard people compare former Tulane WR Teddy Veal to The General (Quinton Patton), a comparison that Tech fans would love to see come true.

For the benefit of our CUSA listening audience, Quinton Patton was an ALL World WR for LA Tech back in 2011 & 2012, just before Tech entered CUSA. Patton is currently entering his 5th year in the NFL. He just signed a new contract with the NY Jets, after spending the last 4 years with the 49er's.

I assume that former Tulane WR Teddy Veal is now at La Tech? Is J'Mar playing baseball or just focusing on football?

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - Eagleholic - 04-05-2017 04:47 PM

(04-05-2017 02:32 PM)PantherDoc Wrote:  My FIU Panthers are going into the Spring Game with a certain buzz that hasn't been felt since Mario Cristobals final year. I know that's not saying much but the Butch Davis effect has been felt. Considering the coaching change and the ton of experience coming back on offense the bar is set at bowl game or bust. It's yet to be seen how these players handle higher expectations. Also very interested to see how our students, alumni and community show up and support Butch and the boys. Very excited for the new season.

Glad to see the excitement level picking up in South FL for both FAU and FIU.

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - techdawg28 - 04-05-2017 04:51 PM

(04-05-2017 04:46 PM)Eagleholic Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 02:58 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  

I assume that former Tulane WR Teddy Veal is now at La Tech? Is J'Mar playing baseball or just focusing on football?

Correct, Veal sat out last year due to transfer rules but will be eligible in 2017. J'Mar is still "playing" baseball but sees extremely little playing time. I think he's had only 2 or 3 ABs the entire season.

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - Luckyshot - 04-05-2017 08:32 PM

(04-05-2017 11:49 AM)Eagleholic Wrote:  At Southern Miss, we have a QB competition ongoing as well as a few positions up for grabs on the OL. The team should be more than solid at RB, WR, and TE. On defense, it appears S and LB are the major concerns right now with experience and depth at CB, DE, and DT.

This is a great summary. There is still one spot on the OL that is weak, but there is a guy coming in the fall that is expected to step right into that position. If that works out, the QB (probably Howard, but possibly Griggs) will be surrounded by as much talent as we've had on O since 2011. We've got some young studs at LB, but very little proven talent there. Lost some great Safeties, but CB is stacked, so might see one of those slide over. Lost our Punter to graduation, so that's a big whole that'll have to be filled as well. I can't see us not getting to 6 wins, but beyond that this year will be a surprise, mostly due to the QB position. Both guys have more raw talent than Mullens, but Mullens won games.

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - MinerInWisconsin - 04-06-2017 07:31 AM

UTEP football is always best in the spring because we don't lose any games. But my problem with spring football is that if the offense is reported to be doing great things, does that really mean the defense is awful? And yesterdays scrimmage was reportedly a very good day for the defense so maybe the offense stinks.

Last year was more disappointing than most because expectations were elevated more than usual. Even Phil Steele had picked UTEP to be one of the 10 most improved teams in the country and he picked the Miners to make a bowl. Neither of those predictions came close.

UTEP does have Metz back at QB and plenty of experience and depth in the O-line but lost it's star RB and TE. The defense returns 7 or 8 starters and on paper should be better. Instead of my usual overly optimistic view of the team, I'm going to become a Missourian this year and take a wait and see attitude. I can't see Kugler staying past this year if the team does not make a bowl.

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - SVHerd - 04-06-2017 01:07 PM

I just hope we get 6 wins and a bowl game. That will not be easy.

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - LouisvilleHilltopper - 04-06-2017 01:19 PM

(04-06-2017 01:07 PM)SVHerd Wrote:  I just hope we get 6 wins and a bowl game.

Same

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - OwlFamily - 04-06-2017 02:18 PM

(04-06-2017 01:07 PM)SVHerd Wrote:  I just hope we get 6 wins and a bowl game. That will not be easy.

Ditto

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - cb4029 - 04-06-2017 10:35 PM

I feel good about our team. Clark looks like he knows something. COGS

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - owlcountry40 - 04-07-2017 12:38 PM

(04-06-2017 02:18 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 01:07 PM)SVHerd Wrote:  I just hope we get 6 wins and a bowl game. That will not be easy.

Ditto

I will not be happy with 6.
We have been better then three win the best couple years, but we were poorly coached a decimated with injuries.

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - THUNDERStruck73 - 04-07-2017 04:56 PM

(04-05-2017 03:51 AM)MUther Wrote:  I feel like not a ****** thing has changed from a barely 3-9 team for the better. I feel like our starters were predetermined instead of being selected on merit. I think we'll be moderately more successful, which translates to just enough to keep people in their jobs. I think we're going to be mediocre at best for the foreseeable future.

Be sure your staffs have a football coaching for dummies manual handy to counter our tricky TECMO BOWL playbook.

FIFY

RE: State of the Program: Spring Game Edition - Side Show Joe - 04-07-2017 09:10 PM

The early assessment is that North Texas has more players that fit both our offensive and defensive schemes this season. I'll be heading down to our Spring Game in the morning, and should be able to add some observations when I return.