CSNbbs
Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Toledo (/forum-479.html)
+----- Thread: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension (/thread-813156.html)

Pages: 1 2

Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - SylvaniaRocket - 03-22-2017 09:40 AM

http://www.utrockets.com/news/2017/3/22/football-jason-candle-signs-contract-extension-through-2021.aspx

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - Rocket75 - 03-22-2017 12:09 PM

The article does not say that the Rockets had the best 2017 recruiting class only because a certain WMU coach decided to row his boat in the Big Ten.

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - rocketinchitown - 03-22-2017 12:18 PM

Eh. Does that prove anything at the end of the day? Candle recruited strong, and due to coaching carousel circumstances ended up with the #1 recruiting class. A win all around, especially for our program. Now if they can take that and get a title now.

(03-22-2017 12:09 PM)Rocket75 Wrote:  The article does not say that the Rockets had the best 2017 recruiting class only because a certain WMU coach decided to row his boat in the Big Ten.

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - indianasniff - 03-22-2017 12:21 PM

Can we win something that matters first before handing out extensions.

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - letsgoblue - 03-22-2017 01:51 PM

Correct if I'm wrong, but if another school comes after Coach and signs him, doesn't that school have to "buy out" and pay the rest of his contract? This to me would be a smart business move on MOB and UT's part.

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - DetroitRocket - 03-22-2017 02:25 PM

(03-22-2017 01:51 PM)letsgoblue Wrote:  Correct if I'm wrong, but if another school comes after Coach and signs him, doesn't that school have to "buy out" and pay the rest of his contract? This to me would be a smart business move on MOB and UT's part.

Do we know what the contract says? Have we been down this road before?

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - bcunn3128 - 03-22-2017 02:30 PM

(03-22-2017 02:25 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 01:51 PM)letsgoblue Wrote:  Correct if I'm wrong, but if another school comes after Coach and signs him, doesn't that school have to "buy out" and pay the rest of his contract? This to me would be a smart business move on MOB and UT's part.

Do we know what the contract says? Have we been down this road before?

I'd be interested in knowing this as well. Hey, if the contract extension included sufficient enough teeth to both deter any other programs from coming after Candle should he continue to win, as well as "penalize" him should he look/leave before the contract expires (a negotiated & signed "contract" should work both ways, shouldn't it?), then I'm OK with this extension, even though it came after just one season as a head coach. But there shouldn't be another one until he at least plays in the MAC championship game, IMO. Have to start earning something...

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - MidnightBlueGold - 03-22-2017 04:50 PM

(03-22-2017 12:09 PM)Rocket75 Wrote:  The article does not say that the Rockets had the best 2017 recruiting class only because a certain WMU coach decided to row his boat in the Big Ten.

WGAF. 07-coffee3

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - DetroitRocket - 03-22-2017 05:27 PM

Base salary for next year $425K. Total compensation just over 600K, second highest in the MAC.

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - Springboromark - 03-22-2017 09:17 PM

(03-22-2017 05:27 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Base salary for next year $425K. Total compensation just over 600K, second highest in the MAC.

Really want to keep him, pay him a base 600,000 with incentives, something in the range of 800,000- 1 mil

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - Rocket_Fanatic - 03-22-2017 09:40 PM

(03-22-2017 09:17 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 05:27 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Base salary for next year $425K. Total compensation just over 600K, second highest in the MAC.

Really want to keep him, pay him a base 600,000 with incentives, something in the range of 800,000- 1 mil

He'll need a MAC title, a couple top 25 finishes, and some big bowl wins before we can talk about a 1 million a year salary

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - inductchuck16 - 03-22-2017 11:02 PM

Nor does it mention how even though Mr. Football decided to ditch UT last minute, Candle & Co. still reeled in the best recruiting class. That says a lot about the quality of this class. I'm stoked for the 2017 recruiting class.

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - PaulJ - 03-23-2017 08:09 AM

What always amazes me about these is the fact that his raise is actually paid by outside sources. Who in the Toledo community is willing to make that financial commitment to keep Candle's salary competitive within the MAC? Why would anyone spend money that way??

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - RangerRocket - 03-23-2017 08:22 AM

(03-23-2017 08:09 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  What always amazes me about these is the fact that his raise is actually paid by outside sources. Who in the Toledo community is willing to make that financial commitment to keep Candle's salary competitive within the MAC? Why would anyone spend money that way??

Did I tell everyone about that $300,000,000 lottery that I won...

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - UT! - 03-23-2017 08:37 AM

I worry that we lost toughness, gap integrity and assignment accountability last year on D (old DC went to Iowa St with Campbell). If we lose toughness at the same rate this year we are in trouble. The most difficult task a head coach faces is developing discipline, toughness and intensity.

X's and O's are the easy part, that can be worked out on paper and by collaborating with staff. The messy but most important part of winning is developing toughness, holding players accountable for assignments and behavior.

I like the way Candle holds himself and think he has a CHANCE to be really good. However, the contract is a year early in my opinion.

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - H2Oville Rocket - 03-23-2017 08:39 AM

(03-23-2017 08:22 AM)RangerRocket Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 08:09 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  What always amazes me about these is the fact that his raise is actually paid by outside sources. Who in the Toledo community is willing to make that financial commitment to keep Candle's salary competitive within the MAC? Why would anyone spend money that way??

Did I tell everyone about that $300,000,000 lottery that I won...

Just me. And I appreciate the $1,500,000 contract extension you gave me to stay on the board. Unless the Purdue board comes calling I plan to be a Launch Padder forever. Or Maryland-they're close to firing one of their regular posters. Or, you know, Texas AandM. Couldn't turn that down...but otherwise Launch Padder for life! Thanks again, Ranger!

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - Boca Rocket - 03-23-2017 10:30 AM

There was a article a season or two back that included late signees, never made it to campus, early departures that gave different rankings for the MAC signing classes. If you are in the top 3 or 4 classes you're doing a good job. Easy to get a high ranking with a large class.

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - indianasniff - 03-23-2017 11:06 AM

That means they got the money from the UT Foundation and not the athletic department budget I figure

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - Toledo Football 1st - 03-23-2017 11:55 AM

Have you ever slid a couple bucks in the donation container when the little leaguers or high school cheerleaders come knocking at your door? The principal is the same. The difference is that there are people in the Toledo community who have the resources to do a lot more than most of us can. Why should they not be able to spend their money the way they want to?

RE: Jason Candle Signs Contract Extension - PaulJ - 03-23-2017 01:04 PM

(03-23-2017 11:55 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  

Have you ever slid a couple bucks in the donation container when the little leaguers or high school cheerleaders come knocking at your door? The principal is the same. The difference is that there are people in the Toledo community who have the resources to do a lot more than most of us can. Why should they not be able to spend their money the way they want to?

I am not questioning their right, just why of all the community needs, put money in for a college coach to earn more?