CSNbbs
Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director (/thread-809792.html)

Pages: 1 2

Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - Transic_nyc - 02-20-2017 05:55 PM

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/colleges/2017/02/20/brad-brad-resigns-athletic-director/FD4R6M85DGgFPCe4u7cVnI/story.html

Quote:Bates is in his fifth year leading the school’s sports programs. He will be a vice president at CSA, an executive search and consulting firm based in Chapel Hill, N.C. Bates will lead the firm’s consulting division.

RE: Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - GoldenWarrior11 - 02-20-2017 06:43 PM

BC fans must be rejoicing. Hope they are able to turn it around in basketball especially.

I wonder if they would consider approaching Doug Flutie for the AD position.

RE: Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - HuskyU - 02-20-2017 07:23 PM

(02-20-2017 06:43 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  BC fans must be rejoicing. Hope they are able to turn it around in basketball especially.

That problem goes far and beyond Brad Bates.

Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - Eagle78 - 02-20-2017 07:33 PM

(02-20-2017 06:43 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  BC fans must be rejoicing. Hope they are able to turn it around in basketball especially.

I think most of us are satisfied. (Although this has been open knowledge for months; today just made it official.) To the fanbase, this has been a significant issue for BC (regardless of what my Husky friend infers above). Very nice guy...but the general opinion of most in the BC community is that he was in over his head.

Not sure DF would want the job as he has a pretty nice gig and lifestyle right now.

Football had a decent turnaround this year....7-6 with a bowl win over Maryland. MBB has improved and has a solid backcourt, but they have a ways to go still, quite obviously. New facilities coming. This spring BC breaks ground on new baseball and softball fields as well as a new football indoor practice facility.

Things are looking up.

RE: Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - HuskyU - 02-20-2017 10:17 PM

(02-20-2017 07:33 PM)Eagle78 Wrote:  

I think most of us are satisfied. (Although this has been open knowledge for months; today just made it official.) To the fanbase, this has been a significant issue for BC (regardless of what my Husky friend infers above). Very nice guy...but the general opinion of most in the BC community is that he was in over his head.

Not sure DF would want the job as he has a pretty nice gig and lifestyle right now.

Football had a decent turnaround this year....7-6 with a bowl win over Maryland. MBB has improved and has a solid backcourt, but they have a ways to go still, quite obviously. New facilities coming. This spring BC breaks ground on new baseball and softball fields as well as a new football indoor practice facility.

Things are looking up.

As bad as our football has been, your basketball has been far worse. Just calling a spade a spade. Whereas basketball is the number 1 or 2 sport at most schools, it is the disregarded number 3 sport behind football and hockey at BC. It is what it is. We all have our problem sports, ours being football. Hopefully the new AD can lead the MBB program into the right direction.

Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - Eagle78 - 02-20-2017 11:17 PM

(02-20-2017 10:17 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  
(02-20-2017 07:33 PM)Eagle78 Wrote:  

Things are looking up.

As bad as our football has been, your basketball has been far worse. Just calling a spade a spade. Whereas basketball is the number 1 or 2 sport at most schools, it is the disregarded number 3 sport behind football and hockey at BC. It is what it is. We all have our problem sports, ours being football. Hopefully the new AD can lead the MBB program into the right direction.

Well, I might differ with your characterization of BC MBB being far worse than UConn FB. I think they are equally bad right now. I was at the BC-Uconn FB game this year and was stunned at just how bad the Uconn team was. I mean, losing 30-0 to a BC team that, while improved, was still 7-6, speaks volumes, IMO. Sure, BC MBB is at the bottom of the ACC standings, but the ACC is arguably the best MBB conference in the Country. Uconn FB was likewise at the bottom of the AAC standings - but the AAC is far from the best FB conference. FWIW, I think comparing the two like this is akin to trying to see how many angels can dance on the head of pin. Both have been pretty bad.

Times change, BC MBB will improve, as will Uconn FB.

RE: Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - connecticutguy - 02-21-2017 02:03 AM

My hope is that the new AD at BC will realize that playing UConn and having UConn in the ACC will be a benefit to both colleges. BC has no real rivals now, like Holy Cross of old. An annual Thanksgiving week football game between BC and UConn would be very popular with fans. Hopefully, the upcoming BC-UConn football game at Fenway will become an annual tradition.

RE: Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - p23570 - 02-21-2017 03:40 PM

BC has fans?

Seriously I don't think there is a worse AD or fanbase in the p-5. They are nothing but an anchor dragging down the ACC in every way.

But if I was an AD looking for a p-5 job this might be a good one as you can only go up from where they are currently.

RE: Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - p23570 - 02-21-2017 03:42 PM

(02-21-2017 02:03 AM)connecticutguy Wrote:  My hope is that the new AD at BC will realize that playing UConn and having UConn in the ACC will be a benefit to both colleges. BC has no real rivals now, like Holy Cross of old. An annual Thanksgiving week football game between BC and UConn would be very popular with fans. Hopefully, the upcoming BC-UConn football game at Fenway will become an annual tradition.

One interesting note looking at attendance for BC. UConn was the #2 game for attendance last year for BC, even beating Louisville and Syracuse and only losing to Clemson.
.Schedule[edit]
Date Time Opponent Site TV Result Attendance
September 3 7:30 AM vs. Georgia Tech Aviva Stadium • Dublin, Ireland (Aer Lingus College Football Classic) ESPN2 L 17–14 40,562
September 10 12:00 PM at UMass* Gillette Stadium • Foxborough, MA (The Battle of the Bay State) ASN W 26–7 25,112
September 17 3:30 PM at Virginia Tech Lane Stadium • Blacksburg, VA (Rivalry) ESPNU L 49–0 60,054
September 24 1:00 PM Wagner* Alumni Stadium • Chestnut Hill, MA ACCN+ W 42–10 22,728
October 1 1:00 PM Buffalo* Alumni Stadium • Chestnut Hill, MA ACCN+ W 35–3 24,203
October 7 7:30 PM No. 3 Clemson Alumni Stadium • Chestnut Hill, MA (Battle for the O'Rourke–McFadden Trophy) ESPN L 56–10 44,500
October 22 12:30 PM Syracuse Alumni Stadium • Chestnut Hill, MA (Rivalry) ACCN L 28–20 34,647
October 29 12:30 PM at NC State Carter–Finley Stadium • Raleigh, NC ACCN W 21–14 56,443
November 5 12:00 PM No. 5 Louisville Alumni Stadium • Chestnut Hill, MA ESPN2 L 52–10 30,644
November 11 7:30 PM at No. 20 Florida State Doak Campbell Stadium • Tallahassee, FL ESPN2 L 45–7 73,917
November 19 1:00 PM Connecticut* Alumni Stadium • Chestnut Hill, MA ACCN+ W 30–0 36,220
November 26 3:00 PM at Wake Forest BB&T Field • Winston-Salem, NC ACCRSN W 17–14 24,866
December 26 2:30 PM vs. Maryland* Ford Field • Detroit, MI (Quick Lane Bowl) ESPN W 36–30 19,117

RE: Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - green - 02-21-2017 04:32 PM

(02-21-2017 03:40 PM)p23570 Wrote:  They are nothing but an anchor dragging down the ACC in every way.

[Image: 1-boston-college-alumni-stadium-john-quackenbos.jpg]

NESN (New England Sports Network) also airs college football and basketball games from the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC)
-- wiki

top-tier private school academics ...
on-campus autumn backdrop ...
enormous market unto themselves ...

JUST WAITING TO BE TAPPED

RE: Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - p23570 - 02-21-2017 06:17 PM

LOL. Just waiting to be tapped?

BC's best days are behind them. Recruits don't even know who Doug Flutie is. The problem is like more widespread than just the AD as well. I think they just lack the resources to compete at the p-5 level for a variety of reasons but the biggest being fan support and finances.

But on the bright side they do have a great hockey program which is the only sport they have a NC in. That has to be valuable.

So where will they look for the replacement?

RE: Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - green - 02-21-2017 07:17 PM

(02-21-2017 06:17 PM)p23570 Wrote:  That has to be valuable.

bc's selling point: only p5 in new england ...

VALUE PROPOSITION

RE: Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - RutgersGuy - 02-21-2017 07:21 PM

I think it's a great gig for a up and comer. It's a tough gig but not an impossible one.

Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - Eagle78 - 02-21-2017 10:34 PM

(02-21-2017 06:17 PM)p23570 Wrote:  LOL. Just waiting to be tapped?

BC's best days are behind them. Recruits don't even know who Doug Flutie is. The problem is like more widespread than just the AD as well. I think they just lack the resources to compete at the p-5 level for a variety of reasons but the biggest being fan support and finances.

But on the bright side they do have a great hockey program which is the only sport they have a NC in. That has to be valuable.

So much foolishness in this post. No resources? BC is a very wealthy school with an endowment close to $3B. They are spending $200M in facilities upgrades, including a new indoor practice facility (construction starting in May) to go along with the FB building built in the past 10 years.

When the ACCN arrives in 2019, it will be able to leverage cable carriage from the 8th largest and one of the wealthiest markets in the US (Greater Boston) as a result of BC. It always amazes me how some just don't understand that dynamic.

No fans. Yeah, right.

https://youtu.be/LcRgYV7cObk

RE: Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - p23570 - 02-21-2017 10:54 PM

(02-21-2017 10:34 PM)Eagle78 Wrote:  

So much foolishness in this post. No resources? BC is a very wealthy school with an endowment close to $3B. They are spending in $200M in facilities upgrades, including a new indoor practice facility (construction starting in May) to go along with the FB building built in the past 10 years.

When the ACCN arrives in 2019, it will be able to leverage cable carriage from the 8th largest and one of the wealthiest markets in the US (Greater Boston) as a result of BC. It always amazes me how some just don't understand that dynamic.

No fans. Yeah, right.
The old fallback. When AD finances dont' add up talk about endowment.

Endowment is irrelevant, just ask Rice.

BC is only falling further behind in the facilites race. They simply don't have the $ to be anywhere approaching top tier facilities. Everyone is doing projects and I doubt BC's are even mid level p-5.

BC is not going to carry Massachusetts or even Boston from a tV perspective. ACC penetration in Boston is non existent aside from Notre Dame.

TV ratings and attendance confirms BC is in a tough spot and nowhere near the fanbase that it woudl take to carry that market. Aside from Wake BC might be the smallest fanbase in the ACC.

TV ratings
Week 1
— 682K Ga. Tech
Boston College ACC 7:30 AM ESPN2
-
214K Boston College
Virginia Tech ACC 3:35 PM ESPNU
-
-
1.0 1.659M Clemson
Bos. College ACC 7:25 PM ESPN
-
-
-
0.4 653K Louisville
Boston College ACC 12:00 PM ESPN2
1.152M Bos. College
FSU ACC 7:25 PM ESPN2
-
-

So after looking at the TV rating for the year do you really think they can carry a huge market?

Looks to me like they only are on TV when they play a highly rated team and even then the ratings are very disappointing and indicate little fan support for BC.

And on attendance.
Football still has games in the low 20's and the better games are in the mid 30's. One of the lowest in the p-5
Basketball 3k to 5k for most games is one of the worst in p-5.
Womens BB has anywhere from a few hundred people to 1,000. One of the worst in the p-5

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no way in hell BC is going to carry Boston, let alone Massachusetts. ACCN is going to struggle in those situations IMO. Nobody in Boston watches BC in person or on TV so yes clearly there is a fan support issue. Glad we got that straight.

Dead last in the ACC in BB
Boston College 2-13 9-19

And also last in the ACC in WBB
Boston College 2-12 9-18

I'm nost sure that job is really that attractive.

RE: Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - Love and Honor - 02-21-2017 10:57 PM

Brad Bates is one of, perhaps even the worst, AD in America. I am not exaggerating. If you know how strong of an athletic program Miami has historically been and how weak it was when BC hired Bates from us, you'd know how little of a hyperbole that is. BC taking him off our hands was a miracle, we should've sent your president three hookers and some blow as a thank you gift.

Best wishes to the Eagles athletic program. No one deserves a similar reign of terror, and given how he was responsible for the worst hires in Miami history, it's laughable that he's working at a coaching search firm. Unless their strategy is to take everyone he recommends off their list, then that'd be pretty smart.

Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - Eagle78 - 02-22-2017 12:25 AM

(02-21-2017 10:54 PM)p23570 Wrote:  
(02-21-2017 10:34 PM)Eagle78 Wrote:  

So much foolishness in this post. No resources? BC is a very wealthy school with an endowment close to $3B. They are spending in $200M in facilities upgrades, including a new indoor practice facility (construction starting in May) to go along with the FB building built in the past 10 years.

No fans. Yeah, right.
The old fallback. When AD finances dont' add up talk about endowment.

Endowment is irrelevant, just ask Rice.

BC is only falling further behind in the facilites race. They simply don't have the $ to be anywhere approaching top tier facilities. Everyone is doing projects and I doubt BC's are even mid level p-5.

BC is not going to carry Massachusetts or even Boston from a tV perspective. ACC penetration in Boston is non existent aside from Notre Dame.

TV ratings and attendance confirms BC is in a tough spot and nowhere near the fanbase that it woudl take to carry that market. Aside from Wake BC might be the smallest fanbase in the ACC.

TV ratings
Week 1
— 682K Ga. Tech
Boston College ACC 7:30 AM ESPN2
-
214K Boston College
Virginia Tech ACC 3:35 PM ESPNU
-
-
1.0 1.659M Clemson
Bos. College ACC 7:25 PM ESPN
-
-
-
0.4 653K Louisville
Boston College ACC 12:00 PM ESPN2
1.152M Bos. College
FSU ACC 7:25 PM ESPN2
-
-

So after looking at the TV rating for the year do you really think they can carry a huge market?

Looks to me like they only are on TV when they play a highly rated team and even then the ratings are very disappointing and indicate little fan support for BC.

And on attendance.
Football still has games in the low 20's and the better games are in the mid 30's. One of the lowest in the p-5
Basketball 3k to 5k for most games is one of the worst in p-5.
Womens BB has anywhere from a few hundred people to 1,000. One of the worst in the p-5

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no way in hell BC is going to carry Boston, let alone Massachusetts. ACCN is going to struggle in those situations IMO. Nobody in Boston watches BC in person or on TV so yes clearly there is a fan support issue. Glad we got that straight.

Dead last in the ACC in BB
Boston College 2-13 9-19

And also last in the ACC in WBB
Boston College 2-12 9-18

I'm nost sure that job is really that attractive.

Oh please, you know squat about BC. I have lived in the Boston area all my life. Have you? When BC is good, they have very good ratings and good attendance. Obviously, you ignored the video I attached. Not surprising.

Check out the ratings for BC's bowl this year. The ratings were outstanding for the bowl they were in.

If you knew anything about the Boston market, you would know that BC FB games are already on NESN, the Region's premier cable network. When the ACCN comes, it will likely be on Basic and the network will receive carriage for every cable box, regardless of what people are watching. That's how it works.

So, you are an expert on endowments now? I don't know how Rice uses its resources to fund athletics, but I told you that BC is investing $200M in upgraded facilities THIS YEAR ALONE! The claim that BC doesn't have the resources is just BS from someone who doesn't know the first thing about the school.

Yeah, BB is down now. But that won't be forever. Things are cyclical. Such is the nature of college sports.

RE: Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - green - 02-22-2017 11:32 AM

(02-21-2017 06:17 PM)p23570 Wrote:  BC's best days are behind them. Recruits don't even know who Doug Flutie is.

[Image: Meet+the+Press.jpg]

Matt Ryan is an American football quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons of the National Football League (NFL). After playing college football for Boston College, Ryan was drafted by the Falcons with the third overall pick in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft.

Ryan was Boston College's starting quarterback from 2005 to 2007, leading them to three bowl victories and a 25–7 record in 32 starts.

In 2007, Ryan led his team to an ACC Atlantic Division championship and was named ACC Player of the Year.

In 2016, Ryan was the NFL's Most Valuable Player and led the Falcons to Super Bowl LI.
-- wiki

YOU DON'T KNOW A THING ABOUT ME

RE: Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - green - 02-22-2017 11:58 AM

(02-21-2017 10:34 PM)Eagle78 Wrote:  When the ACCN arrives in 2019, it will be able to leverage cable carriage from the 8th largest and one of the wealthiest markets in the US (Greater Boston) as a result of BC.

[Image: Greaterboston2.png]

A typical metropolitan area is centered on a single large city that wields substantial influence over the region.

The United States Office of Management and Budget defines a CSA (combined statistical area) as consisting of various combinations of adjacent metropolitan and micropolitan areas with economic ties measured by commuting patterns.

Greater Boston CSA additionally includes the municipalities of Manchester (the largest city in the U.S. state of New Hampshire), Providence (the capital of the U.S. state of Rhode Island), Worcester, Massachusetts (the second largest city in New England), as well as the South Coast region and Cape Cod in Massachusetts.
-- wiki

actually ...
omb ranks boston's core (metropolitan statistical area) 10th; Miami 8th ...
when kindred communities from surrounding states are included in the definition ...
beantown rises to 6th ...

NITPICK

RE: Brad Bates resigns as Boston College athletic director - green - 02-22-2017 12:16 PM

(02-21-2017 10:57 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  If you know how strong of an athletic program Miami has historically been and how weak it was when BC hired Bates from us

[Image: C4-MoYSXAAc7XOH.jpg]

http://miami.edu/

not to be confused with the University of Miami ...
5-time national champion ...
pro football purveyor ...
star of stage & screen ...

NAMESAKE