CSNbbs
Playing not to lose - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Playing not to lose (/thread-809412.html)

Playing not to lose - CKMcDan - 02-17-2017 12:42 AM

We're running an offense, good movement in the first half, and the start of the 2nd half. Then, we just take the air out of the ball, run a weave at the top of the key until about 5 seconds left to go on the shot clock, and then turn it over.
We had that game won, and gave it away.

RE: Playing not to lose - memtiger1987 - 02-17-2017 01:05 AM

(02-17-2017 12:42 AM)CKMcDan Wrote:  We're running an offense, good movement in the first half, and the start of the 2nd half. Then, we just take the air out of the ball, run a weave at the top of the key until about 5 seconds left to go on the shot clock, and then turn it over.

I agree 100%....

RE: Playing not to lose - ohmboy - 02-17-2017 03:31 AM

Amen. Just how many open looks did we pass up in order to milk a few more ticks off the clock? It wasn't like the game was in the last two minutes.

Very disappointing.

RE: Playing not to lose - TIGER DENO - 02-17-2017 08:03 AM

that was hard to watch07-coffee3

RE: Playing not to lose - VinnieVegas - 02-17-2017 08:24 AM

(02-17-2017 12:42 AM)CKMcDan Wrote:  We're running an offense, good movement in the first half, and the start of the 2nd half. Then, we just take the air out of the ball, run a weave at the top of the key until about 5 seconds left to go on the shot clock, and then turn it over.

That pretty much says it all.

RE: Playing not to lose - gusrob - 02-17-2017 10:01 AM

We effectively got ball to Dedric in low and high post 1on1 in 1st half. Not so much in 2nd half. Made shots to extend D in 1st half. Not so much in 2nd half.

I'm not the biggest Tubby fan, but he can only do what his personnel can do. We don't have shooters or creaters. Closest thing we have to a creater is J.Martin. Proud of him, but he's not Derrick Rose. Dedric is a great post player. We seem to get him at the top of the key A LOT tho.

Seems like we should be better with 2 projected NBA players on roster. But when u break it down, it's not a good mix. Rough roster. Hopefully Tubby will rectify this situation for next year.....though recruiting has always been his achilles heel.

RE: Playing not to lose - gusrob - 02-17-2017 10:02 AM

Crawford is a creater. Excuse me.

RE: Playing not to lose - 80sTiger - 02-17-2017 10:30 AM

Mark Giannotto ‏@mgiannotto 6m6 minutes ago
By my count, Memphis had 2 shot clock violations and 8 FG attempts with 7 or fewer secs left on shot clock during closing 12 mins at UConn.

RE: Playing not to lose - Tiger87 - 02-17-2017 10:46 AM

Can't stand it when JM walks the ball up with no urgency and then stands there and dribbles. Sometimes he's standing there dribbling and as soon as Dedric crosses half court, he passes then calls for it back so he can start dribbling again. A couple of times last night he did that and just threw it away needlessly because they weren't paying attention.

Coming into the year, I felt guard play was going to be our strong suit. 5 guys that I thought could ball - if not the best shooters. But our guard play is absolutely killing us lately. Markel has taken a step then plateaued. The other guys are so inconsistent. And none are PG's.

RE: Playing not to lose - idroot4russia - 02-17-2017 10:56 AM

(02-17-2017 10:01 AM)gusrob Wrote:  Seems like we should be better with 2 projected NBA players on roster.

We don't have 2 projected NBA players on the roster. I question if we even have 1.

RE: Playing not to lose - Titans3775 - 02-17-2017 10:58 AM

(02-17-2017 10:46 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  Can't stand it when JM walks the ball up with no urgency and then stands there and dribbles. Sometimes he's standing there dribbling and as soon as Dedric crosses half court, he passes then calls for it back so he can start dribbling again. A couple of times last night he did that and just threw it away needlessly because they weren't paying attention.

Coming into the year, I felt guard play was going to be our strong suit. 5 guys that I thought could ball - if not the best shooters. But our guard play is absolutely killing us lately. Markel has taken a step then plateaued. The other guys are so inconsistent. And none are PG's.

There is a reason why he was Louisiana Tech bound before Pastner threw him a bone and its not because he was an overlooked talent.

RE: Playing not to lose - Tiger1983 - 02-17-2017 11:19 AM

(02-17-2017 10:58 AM)Titans3775 Wrote:  
(02-17-2017 10:46 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  Can't stand it when JM walks the ball up with no urgency and then stands there and dribbles. Sometimes he's standing there dribbling and as soon as Dedric crosses half court, he passes then calls for it back so he can start dribbling again. A couple of times last night he did that and just threw it away needlessly because they weren't paying attention.

There is a reason why he was Louisiana Tech bound before Pastner threw him a bone and its not because he was an overlooked talent.
Martin is the best PG available on our team. He is a terrfic defender and has a good assist /turnover ratio of 2.24. To date, Tubby has not recruited a point guard and it appears Martin will be our starting point guard next season, also.

RE: Playing not to lose - gusrob - 02-17-2017 11:25 AM

(02-17-2017 10:56 AM)idroot4russia Wrote:  
(02-17-2017 10:01 AM)gusrob Wrote:  Seems like we should be better with 2 projected NBA players on roster.

We don't have 2 projected NBA players on the roster. I question if we even have 1.

You can question. As I do at times. But I've seen Crawford and D. Lawson projected. Don't care to debate that OR whether our issue is coach vs players OR whether or not we have an issue.

RE: Playing not to lose - Titans3775 - 02-17-2017 11:36 AM

(02-17-2017 11:19 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

Martin is the best PG available on our team. He is a terrfic defender and has a good assist /turnover ratio of 2.24. To date, Tubby has not recruited a point guard and it appears Martin will be our starting point guard next season, also.

Probably so. Martin would be a serviceable backup on a good team, but he lacks the ability to create offense for this team. Not to mention he shoots like a Center at the free throw line. That is just plain unacceptable for a player who has a responsibility to drive the lane.

RE: Playing not to lose - Tiger87 - 02-17-2017 02:57 PM

(02-17-2017 11:19 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

He can be a good defender. He is not consistently a terrific defender. He got beat badly last night. Adams, Purvis and Vital killed us.

He is the best PG option on the team, true. And he could become a good one in another year or so if he works hard. Hoping we pickup a grad transfer PG meanwhile.

RE: Playing not to lose - Tiger87 - 02-17-2017 02:59 PM

I dunno. There is talent there. But he's not a natural PG. He just needs to work hard over the offseason, and improve his game awareness.

RE: Playing not to lose - HoopDreams - 02-17-2017 04:15 PM

Tubby needs a rotation big and a rotation combo - preferably both with DI experience, grad transfers - if next year is going to be any better.

And they need to be at a slightly higher level than Rykhoek and Kessee.

RE: Playing not to lose - HoopDreams - 02-17-2017 04:15 PM

(02-17-2017 02:59 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  I dunno. There is talent there. But he's not a natural PG. He just needs to work hard over the offseason, and improve his game awareness.

Jeremiah Martin is what Stacey Augmon would look like at 6-2 instead of 6-8.