CSNbbs
Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU (/thread-807344.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - ThreeifbyLightning - 01-30-2017 07:30 PM

Thoughts?

I will give my opinion first. I don't think it is feasible. First, Charlotte, UAB, wkcc, ODU have all shown how difficult it is to create long-term sustainable success while trying to field good football and overall competitive athletics programs across the board. There is a reason why the programs that emerge from the shadows of mid-majorville into the spotlight are mostly all non-football schools.

Second, we aren't going to take this into the next decade with our juco brand name MTxx.

I hope he can get the program there, but I think the reality is we should just enjoy this ride while we can.

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/college/mtsu/2017/01/30/mtsus-kermit-davis-hoping-become-next-butler-vcu/97248238/

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - BlazerGold09 - 01-30-2017 07:36 PM

(01-30-2017 07:30 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Thoughts?

I will give my opinion first. I don't think it is feasible. First, Charlotte, UAB, wkcc, ODU have all shown how difficult it is to create long-term sustainable success while trying to field good football and overall competitive athletics programs across the board. There is a reason why the programs that emerge from the shadows of mid-majorville into the spotlight are mostly all non-football schools.

Second, we aren't going to take this into the next decade with our juco brand name MTxx.

I hope he can get the program there, but I think the reality is we should just enjoy this ride while we can.

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/college/mtsu/2017/01/30/mtsus-kermit-davis-hoping-become-next-butler-vcu/97248238/

I believe your opinions are spot on. However, if any coach is willing to stay put and really build something it's Kermit. I sincerely feel like Murfreesboro is where he wants his family to be long term.

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - Ole Blue - 01-30-2017 07:41 PM

(01-30-2017 07:36 PM)BlazerGold09 Wrote:  

I believe your opinions are spot on. However, if any coach is willing to stay put and really build something it's Kermit. I sincerely feel like Murfreesboro is where he wants his family to be long term.

Seconded. I've been around Kermit for a while now and talked to him about the program; he has a lot of faith in the university and the community. His involvement is very high (he and I have worked together several times to help build excitement/interest in the program) and part of that is due to his family, especially Ally and how much she has found a great place here.

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - BlazerGold09 - 01-30-2017 07:51 PM

(01-30-2017 07:41 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  
(01-30-2017 07:36 PM)BlazerGold09 Wrote:  

Seconded. I've been around Kermit for a while now and talked to him about the program; he has a lot of faith in the university and the community. His involvement is very high (he and I have worked together several times to help build excitement/interest in the program) and part of that is due to his family, especially Ally and how much she has found a great place here.

Good man and a great program that belong together. I believe teams like UAB and MTSU will be the reason why CUSA hoops best days are ahead of them.

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - SpaceRaider - 01-30-2017 08:15 PM

If you don't set goals, you'll never reach them. It's better than saying after a game, "we competed"

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - Ole Blue - 01-30-2017 08:41 PM

(01-30-2017 08:15 PM)SpaceRaider Wrote:  If you don't set goals, you'll never reach them. It's better than saying after a game, "we competed"

03-lmfao Wonder who you're talking about. It couldn't be my 'favorite' football coach could it? Yes, setting goals and working hard to actually reach them like CKD has done is the RIGHT way to do it... 04-rock

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - Cyniclone - 01-30-2017 09:21 PM

Football is a complicating factor, but from what I've seen of mid-major programs that made the jump to consistently strong (Butler, VCU, Wichita State, Gonzaga), there's two keys:

1. Make the big run. Elite Eight at least, but final weekend is ideal. Which is of course easier said than done, because you're almost certainly going to need some things go your way that wouldn't 9 times out of 10. Strong performances from where you don't get them normally, bad performances from opponents that don't often deliver them, top seeds bowing out before you reach them. If you have a senior-laden team, schedule up to a) get them experience in bigger arenas against stronger competition and b) goose the RPI/KenPom/whatever numerical voodoo that the selection committee will be using

2. Build on the big run. Butler (twice) and VCU parlayed their successes into better conference digs. Wichita State topped the polls shortly after their Final Four season. Gonzaga's was a more deliberate progression, but they did it all the same. Conversely, George Mason went to the Final Four in 2006 but with the exception of the 2011 season, they never could do much with it other than look gazingly at it from afar. Like the first step, easier said than done, but if you can get some combination of a) a big recruiting class, b) another big season, even if a step down from the previous year, and c) your head coach saying no to a big program to stick around, then that helps tremendously.

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - CameramanJ - 01-30-2017 09:21 PM

Go ahead, climb that ladder. Achieve those goals. Earn that fame. We'll all watch and be proud.

And when vengeance is ours and the Planters Bowl glory shines upon us, we will remember you for what you always have been: a rival and a friend.

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - MTPiKapp - 01-30-2017 09:30 PM

As long as CUSA is a one bid league, it will be very tough. If we could even get to a consistent two bid, occassional three bid, league it becomes easier.

In a multi bid league you can have a "down" stretch of not winning the conference for five years, but still make the dance three or four times and the NIT in the years you miss the NCAAs. Easier to maintain momentum as a program.

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - HeadsetGuy - 01-30-2017 09:44 PM

never ever never become VCU
enough said

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - JCMiner - 01-30-2017 09:57 PM

I hope you can achieve that kind of success. I have a question regarding Davis. It took him more than a decade before reaching the NCAA tournament for his first time at Middle Tennessee. Was the fan base patient or were there a lot of people asking for him to be fired during years 6-10? Obviously the administration rode it out and are now reaping the rewards with some very good teams the last six years.

It seems we are stuck with Floyd like it or not. I'm hoping we can have similar success in the 10 year plan Middle Tennessee followed.

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - MTPiKapp - 01-30-2017 10:01 PM

(01-30-2017 09:57 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  I hope you can achieve that kind of success. I have a question regarding Davis. It took him more than a decade before reaching the NCAA tournament for his first time at Middle Tennessee. Was the fan base patient or were there a lot of people asking for him to be fired during years 6-10? Obviously the administration rode it out and are now reaping the rewards with some very good teams the last six years.

It seems we are stuck with Floyd like it or not. I'm hoping we can have similar success in the 10 year plan Middle Tennessee followed.

Kermit was far less popular than Stockstill is currently not that long ago.

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - ThreeifbyLightning - 01-31-2017 07:47 AM

(01-30-2017 09:57 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  I hope you can achieve that kind of success. I have a question regarding Davis. It took him more than a decade before reaching the NCAA tournament for his first time at Middle Tennessee. Was the fan base patient or were there a lot of people asking for him to be fired during years 6-10? Obviously the administration rode it out and are now reaping the rewards with some very good teams the last six years.

There were people that wanted him gone after the 2011 season. Though he had seven winning seasons in the previous eight years there were no post season or conference championships. And when the '11 season was over at 16-16 a lot of people thought maybe he had taken it as far as he could.

But rather than fire him, Kermit convinced the AD that 1) he had a really young team that included future C-USA POY Sean Jones and another freshman that was a four year starter. 2) He also convinced the AD that he had a very good recruiting class coming in that would help push them over the top. One of those was the Iowa State transfer LaRon Dendy who would be the POY in our last year in the Sun Belt, so that 2012 team had two league POY's on it. That class also had a couple of JUCO guards in Marcos Knight and Bruce Massey who - not necessarily highly rated - were the right people at the right time and just killed it. Between Knight, Massey and Jones, it was probably his best job of recruiting and evaluating since he had been at MT. And whatever it was he figured out with those three kids he's been able to continue figuring out how to find those diamonds in the rough.

So, convinced by all this the AD gave him a reprieve but an ultimatum to win, win big and do it immediately. And so it was.

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - ODUCoach - 01-31-2017 07:50 AM

Lots of coaches talk the talk, and then as soon as the P5 team comes calling, they walk the walk, right to the biggest paycheck.

Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - owl at the moon - 01-31-2017 08:14 AM

MTSU has the pieces in place and already one skin on the wall (first round 2 seed upset has real, long term value for the program. Obviously the elite 8/final 4 runs are great, but let's say in four years 3 upsets of a top seed in the regional. Hopefully the next ones will come from at least the 7/8/9/10 spot.

Your team this year is solid and might not be favored to go deep, but is certainly capable of making a deep run and going toe to toe with just about anybody out there.

Certainly rooting for you.

(And Really expecting you to take that at-large this year so we can be a 2-bid league!!)

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - ThreeifbyLightning - 01-31-2017 08:20 AM

(01-30-2017 08:15 PM)SpaceRaider Wrote:  If you don't set goals, you'll never reach them. It's better than saying after a game, "we competed"

Touché

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - MTPiKapp - 01-31-2017 12:25 PM

(01-31-2017 07:50 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Lots of coaches talk the talk, and then as soon as the P5 team comes calling, they walk the walk, right to the biggest paycheck.

Most of those coaches aren't in the back half of their second decade when the big time offers come.

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - ODUCoach - 01-31-2017 12:36 PM

(01-31-2017 12:25 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  
(01-31-2017 07:50 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Lots of coaches talk the talk, and then as soon as the P5 team comes calling, they walk the walk, right to the biggest paycheck.

Most of those coaches aren't in the back half of their second decade when the big time offers come.

One last chance at the big time...he'll bolt if he has a chance to go to the SEC.

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - WKUFan518 - 01-31-2017 12:50 PM

I really don't know how MTSU does it with these Juco and Grad Transfers.....WKU has experienced what its like this season to get 3 Grad Transfers and for the most part has not been great...Also WKU has not had much luck either with Juco's..MTSU's grad transfer is all world, really really impressed with Williams as an added piece this season....Will be hard for MTSU to keep this up relying on JUCO and Grad Transfers moving forward which compose 7 guys on their roster...

RE: Davis hoping MT can become the next Butler, VCU - ThreeifbyLightning - 01-31-2017 12:52 PM

(01-31-2017 12:36 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  
(01-31-2017 12:25 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  

One last chance at the big time...he'll bolt if he has a chance to go to the SEC.

Miss State - his alma mater - has approached him a couple of times about the job and he's told them not interested.