CSNbbs
Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' (/thread-805550.html)

Pages: 1 2

Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - ctipton - 01-14-2017 03:30 PM

Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati'
Paul Daugherty , pdaugherty@enquirer.com Published 3:14 p.m. ET Jan. 14, 2017 | Updated 8 minutes ago

[Image: 636200035331143283-121016LukeFickell-10.jpg]
“The state of Cincinnati,’’ Fickell calls it. “We gotta do our best job there.’’
(Photo: The Enquirer/Sam Greene)

Good news, local high school football coaches. Luke Fickell knows you’re alive. He might actually show up at your school. Not just to speak at your stag, or walk the sideline for a few quarters at a home football game, but to talk to you in person. What a concept.

We’d say Tommy Tuberville was a ghost at Cincinnati high schools, but that’d be an insult to ghosts. Even they have to be around once in awhile. Otherwise, who’d do the haunting?

Put it this way: Brian Kelly once visited seven local high school games on one Friday night, via helicopter. Tommy Tuberville couldn’t name you seven local high schools.

“Tommy Tuberville never came to campus,’’ Elder coach Doug Ramsey said Friday. “Twenty years I’ve been the head coach at Elder. In that time, 15 Elder guys either walked on or were on scholarship at UC. Butch Jones has been here, Brian Kelly has been here, Mark Dantonio has been here.‘’

UC offered Ramsey’s son Peyton a scholarship. Tuberville never talked to Peyton. He signed with Indiana.

Colerain coach Tom Bolden said, “Tuberville never set foot in my office. He spoke at our stag, came to a couple games. That was it. There was a huge distance there.’’ This, even as Bolden’s son Kyle was a two-time all-state linebacker to whom UC had offered a scholarship. Bolden said Ohio State coach Urban Meyer and OSU assistant Kerry Coombs “would do 13 Cincinnati schools in one day.’’

Tuberville’s dismissal of the local talent was egregious and obvious. The area coaches “have been around a long time. They have pride in their schools and their city. They want that interaction,’’ Luke Fickell said Friday. “For the past two years, they haven’t had it.’’

Fickell has spent the past several days starting to fix things. He spent an hour talking with Ramsey on Thursday.

“Ohio State is going to take the top six or seven players from the state of Ohio,’’ Ramsey said. “When you start with players seven, eight, nine and 10, that opens the door some. A lot of kids end up going to other Big 10 schools, but you can sell them on staying home. That’s what those other three guys (Dantonio, Jones, Kelly) did. When the head coach makes an appearance at the school, it makes a huge difference.’’

Ohio is not quite the recruiting goldmine Florida is, or Texas or California. But it’s compact and easy to navigate. A recruiter can be at Lakewood St. Ed’s in the morning and Moeller that afternoon.

Fickell cites a stat that he’s not positive is accurate, but it’s close. He says since 1990, 36 UC players have been drafted. Of those 36, 26 have been from the Tristate. Thirteen Bearcats alumni are currently working in the NFL. Local attention must be paid.

“The state of Cincinnati,’’ Fickell calls it. “We gotta do our best job there.’’

Fickell is not familiar with southwest Ohio. At OSU, he recruited the northern half of the state. He might know how provincial we here in the Republic of Cincinnati can be. He definitely understands what happened when Kelly hired Coombs. An Orange Bowl followed by a Sugar Bowl was not coincidental. Some of us believed Fickell should have added Coombs as his defensive coordinator.

“Get a Cincinnati guy, make him the common denominator with all the coaches,’’ said Bolden. “That’s how I think coach Fickell will approach it. Your core at UC is Ohio kids. Your heart is Cincinnati kids.’’

Those of us who aren’t recruiting savants didn’t know UC might have had former Colerain linebacker Tegray Scales. Scales, a co-defensive player of the year in Ohio as a senior, got offers from Minnesota, Illinois, Boston College and even Ohio, but not UC. He was named third-team all-Big 10 as a junior this year, playing for Indiana.

Erstwhile Mount Healthy running back David Montgomery didn’t make UC’s short list, but he was good enough for Iowa State, where he ran for 563 yards as a freshman this year, finishing the season with a 141-yard game against West Virginia. And so on.

Fickell already showed he knows the score here. He circled back to nab Jarell White, the four-star recruit from La Salle. All it took was a home visit.

During the Kelly-Jones years, “It became kind of a cool thing around here to play at UC,’’ Doug Ramsey said. The Bearcats might not reach that level again soon, but at least they have a coach who understands it’s possible.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2017/01/14/doc-fickell-wont-ignore-state-cincinnati/96588802/

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - rath v2.0 - 01-14-2017 03:47 PM

(01-14-2017 03:30 PM)ctipton Wrote:  Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati'
Paul Daugherty , pdaugherty@enquirer.com Published 3:14 p.m. ET Jan. 14, 2017 | Updated 8 minutes ago

Good news, local high school football coaches. Luke Fickell knows you’re alive. He might actually show up at your school. Not just to speak at your stag, or walk the sideline for a few quarters at a home football game, but to talk to you in person. What a concept.

We’d say Tommy Tuberville was a ghost at Cincinnati high schools, but that’d be an insult to ghosts. Even they have to be around once in awhile. Otherwise, who’d do the haunting?

Put it this way: Brian Kelly once visited seven local high school games on one Friday night, via helicopter. Tommy Tuberville couldn’t name you seven local high schools.

“Tommy Tuberville never came to campus,’’ Elder coach Doug Ramsey said Friday. “Twenty years I’ve been the head coach at Elder. In that time, 15 Elder guys either walked on or were on scholarship at UC. Butch Jones has been here, Brian Kelly has been here, Mark Dantonio has been here.‘’

UC offered Ramsey’s son Peyton a scholarship. Tuberville never talked to Peyton. He signed with Indiana.

Colerain coach Tom Bolden said, “Tuberville never set foot in my office. He spoke at our stag, came to a couple games. That was it. There was a huge distance there.’’ This, even as Bolden’s son Kyle was a two-time all-state linebacker to whom UC had offered a scholarship. Bolden said Ohio State coach Urban Meyer and OSU assistant Kerry Coombs “would do 13 Cincinnati schools in one day.’’

Tuberville’s dismissal of the local talent was egregious and obvious. The area coaches “have been around a long time. They have pride in their schools and their city. They want that interaction,’’ Luke Fickell said Friday. “For the past two years, they haven’t had it.’’

Fickell has spent the past several days starting to fix things. He spent an hour talking with Ramsey on Thursday.

“Ohio State is going to take the top six or seven players from the state of Ohio,’’ Ramsey said. “When you start with players seven, eight, nine and 10, that opens the door some. A lot of kids end up going to other Big 10 schools, but you can sell them on staying home. That’s what those other three guys (Dantonio, Jones, Kelly) did. When the head coach makes an appearance at the school, it makes a huge difference.’’

Ohio is not quite the recruiting goldmine Florida is, or Texas or California. But it’s compact and easy to navigate. A recruiter can be at Lakewood St. Ed’s in the morning and Moeller that afternoon.

Fickell cites a stat that he’s not positive is accurate, but it’s close. He says since 1990, 36 UC players have been drafted. Of those 36, 26 have been from the Tristate. Thirteen Bearcats alumni are currently working in the NFL. Local attention must be paid.

Fickell is not familiar with southwest Ohio. At OSU, he recruited the northern half of the state. He might know how provincial we here in the Republic of Cincinnati can be. He definitely understands what happened when Kelly hired Coombs. An Orange Bowl followed by a Sugar Bowl was not coincidental. Some of us believed Fickell should have added Coombs as his defensive coordinator.

“Get a Cincinnati guy, make him the common denominator with all the coaches,’’ said Bolden. “That’s how I think coach Fickell will approach it. Your core at UC is Ohio kids. Your heart is Cincinnati kids.’’

Those of us who aren’t recruiting savants didn’t know UC might have had former Colerain linebacker Tegray Scales. Scales, a co-defensive player of the year in Ohio as a senior, got offers from Minnesota, Illinois, Boston College and even Ohio, but not UC. He was named third-team all-Big 10 as a junior this year, playing for Indiana.

Erstwhile Mount Healthy running back David Montgomery didn’t make UC’s short list, but he was good enough for Iowa State, where he ran for 563 yards as a freshman this year, finishing the season with a 141-yard game against West Virginia. And so on.

Fickell already showed he knows the score here. He circled back to nab Jarell White, the four-star recruit from La Salle. All it took was a home visit.

During the Kelly-Jones years, “It became kind of a cool thing around here to play at UC,’’ Doug Ramsey said. The Bearcats might not reach that level again soon, but at least they have a coach who understands it’s possible.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2017/01/14/doc-fickell-wont-ignore-state-cincinnati/96588802/

Why in the world the local media, even those who were devoted to UC on a full-time basis, refused to report on this I'll never understand.

It was clear from almost day one that they didn't give a damn about local programs. Whenever a poster on this board or any other outlet reported what they'd been told by coaches or players it turned into a rock fight with the fan base that was doing the in Coach we trust garbage. And believe me coaches were talking. It was a running joke.

The media should've been all over this in 2013. They were complicent in the negligence.

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - ctipton - 01-14-2017 03:51 PM

Amen, brother Rath. Amen.

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - robertfoshizzle - 01-14-2017 03:54 PM

Although I continue to be more and more impressed with Fickell and would grade his hire at this point an A+... reading this makes me so angry that Babcock hired that bafoon who managed to run a successful program into the ground in a hurry.

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - rtaylor - 01-14-2017 04:00 PM

(01-14-2017 03:47 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(01-14-2017 03:30 PM)ctipton Wrote:  Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati'

Why in the world the local media, even those who were devoted to UC on a full-time basis, refused to report on this I'll never understand.

It was clear from almost day one that they didn't give a damn about local programs. Whenever a poster on this board or any other outlet reported what they'd been told by coaches or players it turned into a rock fight with the fan base that was doing the in Coach we trust garbage. And believe me coaches were talking. It was a running joke.

The media should've been all over this in 2013. They were complicent in the negligence.
Since when is the local media interested in UC?

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - UCGrad1992 - 01-14-2017 04:08 PM

Puh-Theigh-Tick! Unacceptable! Lazy! Egregious! Someone would have to be more motivated than me at this point but I remember the former coach was quoted several times stating that to be successful you have to recruit within 100 miles of your campus. Little did we know that he actually did not do what he preached. He recruited at the local level about like he coached. What a surprise. What a waste! Panty that is...

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - WalterSobchak - 01-14-2017 04:35 PM

It's just maddening. Hiring a bad head coach damages all programs but our margin for error is thin because of our precarious position on the realignment/money bubble. He just killed our momentum with laziness. With that said, CLF is a breath of fresh air and I am confident we are back to winning football.

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - UCGrad1992 - 01-14-2017 05:19 PM

This is just rumor, but word on the street is this card was found in the former head coach's office after he made his exit...

[Image: to-do-list-meme-when-i-look-at-my-todo-list-JkqWKU.jpg]

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - rosewater - 01-14-2017 05:26 PM

I think he has a screw loose. The things he said about how he improved the program since the prior staffs, and the giving up at BYU by punting, He let the runningbacks substitute themselves. Things I had never seen in watching football for forty years. The evidence was all there.

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - rath v2.0 - 01-14-2017 06:49 PM

(01-14-2017 03:54 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  Although I continue to be more and more impressed with Fickell and would grade his hire at this point an A+... reading this makes me so angry that Babcock hired that bafoon who managed to run a successful program into the ground in a hurry.

And people wondered why I completely blew my top the summer of 2013. We could start a whole forum on stories concerning Club Tubb.

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - Racinejake - 01-14-2017 07:48 PM

(01-14-2017 06:49 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(01-14-2017 03:54 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  Although I continue to be more and more impressed with Fickell and would grade his hire at this point an A+... reading this makes me so angry that Babcock hired that bafoon who managed to run a successful program into the ground in a hurry.

And people wondered why I completely blew my top the summer of 2013. We could start a whole forum on stories concerning Club Tubb.

Yea people tried to find every possible reason to defend him until they were buried neck deep this season. I suppose that's just fans trying to be optimistic. But the signs were there early on.

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - rtaylor - 01-14-2017 08:22 PM

So why did none of the premium sites ever report this?

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - Dannyboy - 01-14-2017 09:02 PM

(01-14-2017 07:48 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  

Yea people tried to find every possible reason to defend him until they were buried neck deep this season. I suppose that's just fans trying to be optimistic. But the signs were there early on.

Unless they win 0 games or have some scandal, I'm a big proponent of giving a coach 3 years to prove himself. So I defended CTT until year three. I'll do the same for CLF.

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - glacier_dropsy - 01-14-2017 09:56 PM

You guys should have gone to the USF game in Tampa last year. Hands on hips, elbows forward, slowly walking through whatever group was in front of him, without purpose. It was surreal.

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - bearcatdp - 01-14-2017 10:31 PM

(01-14-2017 09:56 PM)glacier_dropsy Wrote:  You guys should have gone to the USF game in Tampa last year. Hands on hips, elbows forward, slowly walking through whatever group was in front of him, without purpose. It was surreal.

...And that is when it was obvious to me that he wasn't making any progress here. At the beginning of this past season, I hoped he had turned things around this off season but it became obvious early that he hadn't. Even in the Purdue game, we won and scored a lot of points, but I wasn't convinced (I was there...It was fun, but not convincing). The defense still gave up a ton of yards and we needed 5 interceptions to win it. I'm sure we could go on and on (like how fired up the team was for the Miami Florida game but not for another single game during the Tuberville era) but I am moving on. How refreshing is it to see a staff coaching in the rain, to see players happy to have had a hard, muddy workout and to see local recruits take notice, not to mention local coaches and media? This is just the beginning. The staff has to show that they can train players, develop players and coach players. I will give Fickell some time to get "his" players here before I expect conference championships (a couple of years) but, if i see proof that the team does the fundamentals correctly, the staff is engaged, and the players buy in, I will be sold. I am guardedly optimistic right now (when is a Cincinnati sports fan not!?) but I like what I see so far.

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - rath v2.0 - 01-15-2017 02:20 AM

(01-14-2017 08:22 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  So why did none of the premium sites ever report this?

You don't think that narcissistic ass clown would have cut them off completely?

I'm angry about the enquirer's malfeasance. Not the pay sites. They are in a tough spot when it comes to access since it's ultimately an economic matter. My .02.

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - rath v2.0 - 01-15-2017 03:04 AM

(01-14-2017 09:02 PM)Dannyboy Wrote:  
(01-14-2017 07:48 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  

Unless they win 0 games or have some scandal, I'm a big proponent of giving a coach 3 years to prove himself. So I defended CTT until year three. I'll do the same for CLF.

God bless ya.

It was a mess in 2013 too we just played the weakest schedule in 2 generations and people are conditioned to ignore facts to hope for the best. In coach we trust and all that bunk. He was a salary sponge from that first awkward fist pump in the Shoe.

By the way, if coach calls whole semi retired, don't answer. Last time he had a year off he got himself in a pickle when it came to investments and unregulated securities.

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - Ragpicker - 01-15-2017 09:30 AM

My CTT support was all about realignment. Its still infinitely more important than the product on the field as we will all see during CLF's reign. I like what CLF has started but he will learn that the unlimited deep pockets in Columbus have only a few coins in Clifton.

But ultimately CTT could not help move the needle as UC failed to move the athletic program, and ultimately the entire University, forward.

My biggest concern with CLF is will he be able to run the program on 1/50th of a budget that came with P5 money. He has very limited experience working at a financially small school.

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - Ring of Black - 01-15-2017 10:49 AM

(01-15-2017 09:30 AM)Ragpicker Wrote:  My CTT support was all about realignment. Its still infinitely more important than the product on the field as we will all see during CLF's reign. I like what CLF has started but he will learn that the unlimited deep pockets in Columbus have only a few coins in Clifton.

But ultimately CTT could not help move the needle as UC failed to move the athletic program, and ultimately the entire University, forward.

My biggest concern with CLF is will he be able to run the program on 1/50th of a budget that came with P5 money. He has very limited experience working at a financially small school.

Makes me wonder all the more about this, somewhat, veteran coaching staff he has put together. Where's the money coming from?

RE: Doc: Fickell won't ignore 'The state of Cincinnati' - doss2 - 01-15-2017 11:07 AM

(01-15-2017 10:49 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  
(01-15-2017 09:30 AM)Ragpicker Wrote:  My CTT support was all about realignment. Its still infinitely more important than the product on the field as we will all see during CLF's reign. I like what CLF has started but he will learn that the unlimited deep pockets in Columbus have only a few coins in Clifton.

Makes me wonder all the more about this, somewhat, veteran coaching staff he has put together. Where's the money coming from?

It is a critically year from an income view. All those expensive suite and club seats commitments expire after this year. If fans like me do not see a reason the renew the revenue loss will be big.