CSNbbs
New NFL D-League - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: New NFL D-League (/thread-805128.html)

Pages: 1 2

New NFL D-League - monarx - 01-11-2017 11:29 AM

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/could-this-pro-football-league-help-fix-a-nagging-nfl-draft-problem-100508944.html

Is this good or bad for the G5? Probably bad for teams that take non-qualifiers. Im not sure for the rest of us.

RE: New NFL D-League - DETLTU - 01-11-2017 11:44 AM

I just can't see how this will succeed. I think it would be like a G5 team trying to pay 50 guys $50,000 per year in addition to paying coaches. I think they can get plenty of players, but eventually that money has to come from somewhere and I don't think they will draw enough attention to sustain themselves unless the NFL starts covering costs.

RE: New NFL D-League - banker - 01-11-2017 11:57 AM

It will hurt the top programs more than us. Only 200 players, first year will pull out a lot of talent, but on a rolling basis they will only be able to take 50 players a year. My thought would be that this will appeal to elite players who want to start getting paid and don't care about school. They will market to elite players - why go to college and spend 4 years learning a system that helps you none in the NFL when we will start teaching you NFL systems right now? it will make you much more desirable to NFL teams.

RE: New NFL D-League - 49RFootballNow - 01-11-2017 12:08 PM

I hope it guts the P5.

RE: New NFL D-League - usm99 - 01-11-2017 12:35 PM

I see where it will probably gut the P5 more to a degree but at the same time the athletes who had P5 offers but ended up at a G5 due to numbers will now end up at a P5 instead of a G5.

RE: New NFL D-League - Dawgxas - 01-11-2017 01:09 PM

(01-11-2017 11:44 AM)DETLTU Wrote:  [/b]I just can't see how this will succeed.[b] I think it would be like a G5 team trying to pay 50 guys $50,000 per year in addition to paying coaches. I think they can get plenty of players, but eventually that money has to come from somewhere and I don't think they will draw enough attention to sustain themselves unless the NFL starts covering costs.

It would be tough to make it unless supported by the NFL, but the costs will be less than some of the other leagues started before. All the teams will be in SoCal and played at smaller CC stadiums and owned by the league not individual owners.

RE: New NFL D-League - MWC Tex - 01-11-2017 01:30 PM

You need to post this on the main board, it's a good discussion.

RE: New NFL D-League - HerdZoned - 01-11-2017 01:32 PM

The NBA D-League is already a money pit for the NBA, they lose like 10 million dollars a year on it. As is the WNBA. If and when revenue and TV dollars start to slip I can see the NBA pulling the plug on both of them.

I doubt this ever gets off the ground and if it does I can't see it lasting any longer than what the XFL done.

RE: New NFL D-League - MTPiKapp - 01-11-2017 03:12 PM

(01-11-2017 01:32 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  The NBA D-League is already a money pit for the NBA, they lose like 10 million dollars a year on it. As is the WNBA. If and when revenue and TV dollars start to slip I can see the NBA pulling the plug on both of them.

I doubt this ever gets off the ground and if it does I can't see it lasting any longer than what the XFL done.

NFL D league is a misnomer. The NFL has nothing to do with it.

RE: New NFL D-League - Blue_Trombone - 01-11-2017 03:37 PM

Weren't we all saying the same thing about the MLFB? That was supposed to start this year but it hasn't gone anywhere yet. Not saying the pacific league won't happen but I'll believe it when I see it.

RE: New NFL D-League - MTPiKapp - 01-11-2017 03:43 PM

There is room for a developmental league, but it needs to be run by the league and have as small a footprint as possible.

RE: New NFL D-League - ericsaid - 01-11-2017 07:19 PM

Pretty sure I heard that this "league" was for veteran players and or undrafted players. Guys can't go straight from high school to playing here.

RE: New NFL D-League - Cyniclone - 01-11-2017 07:20 PM

A minor-league football league can't exist unless there's a team in Birmingham.

Dem's the rules.

RE: New NFL D-League - Dawgxas - 01-11-2017 07:24 PM

(01-11-2017 07:19 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  Pretty sure I heard that this "league" was for veteran players and or undrafted players. Guys can't go straight from high school to playing here.

Read the article, the second bullet point is that the players have to be in their first fours years out of high school. It states it is alternative to college football so no veterans or Undrafted unless they are still in their first four years out of high school

RE: New NFL D-League - Cyniclone - 01-11-2017 07:28 PM

(01-11-2017 07:24 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  
(01-11-2017 07:19 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  Pretty sure I heard that this "league" was for veteran players and or undrafted players. Guys can't go straight from high school to playing here.

Read the article, the second bullet point is that the players have to be in their first fours years out of high school. It states it is alternative to college football so no veterans or Undrafted unless they are still in their first four years out of high school

So less like Triple-A baseball and more like Gulf Coast League baseball?

RE: New NFL D-League - ericsaid - 01-11-2017 07:31 PM

Say hello to new rules saying college's can pay players.

RE: New NFL D-League - panama - 01-11-2017 08:08 PM

(01-11-2017 11:29 AM)monarx Wrote:  https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/could-this-pro-football-league-help-fix-a-nagging-nfl-draft-problem-100508944.html

Is this good or bad for the G5? Probably bad for teams that take non-qualifiers. Im not sure for the rest of us.

In 18 months you will ask "Hey what happened to that league that was going to start?"

RE: New NFL D-League - banker - 01-11-2017 08:59 PM

To be honest, the NFL would be stupid not to fund this. It's going to cost less than $15MM a year and I would say it's safe to say that the teams waste over $50MM a year, probably more like $100MM, on bad first and second round draft picks.

On top of that, there is a huge shortage of quality QBs and the NFL has to draft from a bunch of guys who live playing in the shotgun in college. If you could get the top 4 QBs in this league every year those guys could receive 4 years of high quality NFL style coaching in an NFL system.

RE: New NFL D-League - FIU4Ever - 01-11-2017 09:01 PM

(01-11-2017 07:31 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  

Say hello to new rules saying college's can pay players.

$50K to play ball in late summer, no need to pretend to take classes, have a better shot at playing pro ball, what's not to like about it. Colleges would have to pay more to keep some of those 200 studs in school.

RE: New NFL D-League - banker - 01-11-2017 10:23 PM

(01-11-2017 12:35 PM)usm99 Wrote:  I see where it will probably gut the P5 more to a degree but at the same time the athletes who had P5 offers but ended up at a G5 due to numbers will now end up at a P5 instead of a G5.

Recruiting is a crapshoot anyway. After the top teams taken the top talent, the 2 and 3 star kids left, as a pool, doesn't really change. There are a lot of good players, some who turn out to be great, that walk on.