CSNbbs
What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting (/thread-804898.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - macgar32 - 01-09-2017 07:27 PM

We shoot 33% on the road from 3 and around 30% at home

Last year we shot 37% from 3 on the road and 29% at home

Maybe Tubby has a point in saying that it hurts the team not being able to practice at the Forum on a regular basis.

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - Easterwood - 01-09-2017 07:31 PM

I agree with that

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - UpperTiger - 01-09-2017 07:35 PM

Depth perception gets thrown off in large arenas. If you practice in a small gym, it's not surprising that we don't shoot as well at home. We are definitely missing a portion of our home court advantage.

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - Tgrrfan - 01-09-2017 08:04 PM

But this becomes an advantage in the tournament because those games are played in large venues.

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - AlonsoWDC - 01-09-2017 08:12 PM

I think the depth issue is only a real factor when you play in an arena that's designed for football, not basketball.

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - Penny Lane - 01-09-2017 08:27 PM

(01-09-2017 08:12 PM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  I think the depth issue is only a real factor when you play in an arena that's designed for football, not basketball.

Didn't hurt Coach Bartow, Dana, Larry or Cal. Dana didn't practice much at coliseum.

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - Tiger87 - 01-09-2017 10:05 PM

This has been true for the past few years. I looked at the numbers 2 years ago, and the Grizz were shooting better on the road as well.

Practice courts may have some to do with it. Some say tight rims. Ask Wolo how often we are rimming.

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - WColt45 - 01-09-2017 11:24 PM

So that's why Drew made them in practice!

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - macgar32 - 01-09-2017 11:31 PM

(01-09-2017 11:24 PM)WColt45 Wrote:  So that's why Drew made them in practice!

Lol...I wish

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - ZachMan - 01-10-2017 08:50 AM

Maybe we just don't have any shooters, never seems to bother the opponents who never play there or practice there

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - Atlanta - 01-10-2017 10:22 AM

(01-09-2017 08:04 PM)Tgrrfan Wrote:  But this becomes an advantage in the tournament because those games are played in large venues.

Not really. The home advantage comes from familiarization not so much from categories of large or small. No doubt large venues are tougher on shooters until they gain familiarity but shooters adapt as they gain familiarity. Another aspect is how the rims & backboards are fastened. Portable backboards/rims give a different response than do permanent placements. Another element is the exactness of the rim height. Years ago I did measurements at several area HS arenas (GA) & even end to end comparisons and found variations of 1/4" or more. I am confident these variations exist even in the top arenas just due to setup routines with portable backboards, use and settling/wear & tear of permanent installations - unless measurements are taken habitually before each game (& how the measurements are taken - top of rim or bottom). And I can tell you that consistent & routine measurement doesn't happen in most arenas & gyms. But good shooters adapt & do so quickly, even within the flow of games but large arenas are tough on the mind.

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - Tiger87 - 01-10-2017 10:27 AM

(01-10-2017 08:50 AM)ZachMan Wrote:  Maybe we just don't have any shooters, never seems to bother the opponents who never play there or practice there

Well, we are outshooting our opponents. So there's that...

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - Brother Bluto - 01-10-2017 10:55 AM

(01-09-2017 11:24 PM)WColt45 Wrote:  So that's why Drew made them in practice!

Leon Mitchell too

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - macgar32 - 01-10-2017 01:17 PM

(01-10-2017 08:50 AM)ZachMan Wrote:  Maybe we just don't have any shooters, never seems to bother the opponents who never play there or practice there

Why would we shoot better on the road?

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - Brother Bluto - 01-10-2017 01:27 PM

Git yo finguhs up!!! Ole ole ole ole

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - Tgrrfan - 01-10-2017 05:34 PM

(01-10-2017 10:22 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 08:04 PM)Tgrrfan Wrote:  But this becomes an advantage in the tournament because those games are played in large venues.

Not really. The home advantage comes from familiarization not so much from categories of large or small. No doubt large venues are tougher on shooters until they gain familiarity but shooters adapt as they gain familiarity. Another aspect is how the rims & backboards are fastened. Portable backboards/rims give a different response than do permanent placements. Another element is the exactness of the rim height. Years ago I did measurements at several area HS arenas (GA) & even end to end comparisons and found variations of 1/4" or more. I am confident these variations exist even in the top arenas just due to setup routines with portable backboards, use and settling/wear & tear of permanent installations - unless measurements are taken habitually before each game (& how the measurements are taken - top of rim or bottom). And I can tell you that consistent & routine measurement doesn't happen in most arenas & gyms. But good shooters adapt & do so quickly, even within the flow of games but large arenas are tough on the mind.

Now you've ruined Hoosiers for me. I'll never be able to watch it again.

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - Dwarren - 01-15-2017 01:38 PM

Didn't bother Billy Smith! That dude could shoot the lights out of any arena.

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - hsvtiger - 01-15-2017 08:41 PM

(01-10-2017 10:22 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  

I would think that the FEF has a pretty strict process threat the NBA likely requires. Now whether they follow the same setup process for the Tigers, I don't know, but I'd guess YES for the sake of consistency.

Do the Grizz & Tigers use the same goals? Again not sure, but I'd guess YES and I think the rims are tighter than at other places they might play on the road. I think the biggest factor is just the spatial aspect of having such a large open area above and behind the goal and I think the Tigers need to get in there at every opportunity and shoot.

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - presskh - 01-16-2017 11:34 AM

(01-09-2017 07:27 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  We shoot 33% on the road from 3 and around 30% at home

Maybe Tubby has a point in saying that it hurts the team not being able to practice at the Forum on a regular basis.

Did we used to practice at the MSC when we played there? In the late 70's - early 80's, when I was on-campus, I'm thinking we used to practice in the field house. I doubt that Louisville practices in the Yum Center. I would think this is fairly common in high D1 BB.

RE: What is it about Fed Ex Forum and Shooting - hsvtiger - 01-16-2017 11:43 AM

(01-16-2017 11:34 AM)presskh Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 07:27 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  We shoot 33% on the road from 3 and around 30% at home

Did we used to practice at the MSC when we played there? In the late 70's - early 80's, when I was on-campus, I'm thinking we used to practice in the field house. I doubt that Louisville practices in the Yum Center. I would think this is fairly common in high D1 BB.

I agree that it is pretty common. However, I think that you can take steps to get in some extra shooting time at the home arena from time to time to help out. It ain't hurtin' Markel too much this year! COGS