CSNbbs
What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? (/thread-787548.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - EigenEagle - 08-17-2016 09:12 AM

Just my 2 cents on the path of each of the three teams to a ranking.

Arkansas State. Some will disagree, but I don't think losing to Auburn counts them out for the entire year. Beating Toledo and Utah State at home are absolute musts without a P5 win, though. Arkansas State does not have the hardest path to the ranking, but probably has the longest. It will probably take them until late October to be ranked if Auburn is the only loss. Without an Auburn win they would also need help from Toledo, Utah State, and GS to do well in their schedules.

Georgia Southern. Win in Mobile, Kalamazoo, Jonesboro, and beat Tech in Atlanta (might be the most probable P5 win of any belt team, hard to tell what's going on with Tech) and we're in. Also could get in at the end of the regular season with 11-1 with a loss to either P5. It's doable, but we need a good roll of the dice with our team's unknowns.

App State. App State has the shortest and probably the most difficult path to a ranking. If they somehow start 3-0 and aren't ranked the AP poll needs to be abolished. Beating Tennessee isn't a must, but winning at least one of the two P5 games may be. I will say if they beat Miami and Akron then they will probably be ranked before they come to Statesboro.

It would be a mistake to count Miami as a loss. App State can be tough to beat in Boone and Mark Richt certainly has a history of whiffing on coordinator hires (neither of his coordinator hires are proven guys).

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - AppinSC - 08-17-2016 10:23 AM

(08-17-2016 09:12 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Just my 2 cents on the path of each of the three teams to a ranking.

Arkansas State. Some will disagree, but I don't think losing to Auburn counts them out for the entire year. Beating Toledo and Utah State at home are absolute musts without a P5 win, though. Arkansas State does not have the hardest path to the ranking, but probably has the longest. It will probably take them until late October to be ranked if Auburn is the only loss. Without an Auburn win they would also need help from Toledo, Utah State, and GS to do well in their schedules.

Georgia Southern. Win in Mobile, Kalamazoo, Jonesboro, and beat Tech in Atlanta (might be the most probable P5 win of any belt team, hard to tell what's going on with Tech) and we're in. Also could get in at the end of the regular season with 11-1 with a loss to either P5. It's doable, but we need a good roll of the dice with our team's unknowns.

App State. App State has the shortest and probably the most difficult path to a ranking. If they somehow start 3-0 and aren't ranked the AP poll needs to be abolished. Beating Tennessee isn't a must, but winning at least one of the two P5 games may be. I will say if they beat Miami and Akron then they will probably be ranked before they come to Statesboro.

It would be a mistake to count Miami as a loss. App State can be tough to beat in Boone and Mark Richt certainly has a history of whiffing on coordinator hires (neither of his coordinator hires are proven guys).

I truly hope that all 3 of us (and the rest of the belt for that matter) take care of our business and put our conference in a better light. Maybe this will be a special season for the SunBelt. Need to do well vs OOC , especially our peers in G5 . To knock off a P5 or two along the way would be icing on the cake. Let's get ready to rummmmmbbbblllllllle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - MWC Tex - 08-17-2016 10:26 AM

You'll need to have the top MW/CUSA/AAC schools to have a few losses and the SB team to be zero losses.

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - hendoapp - 08-17-2016 10:38 AM

Hang tough in anyway with the vols ,thump odu, topple Miami,and beat zips at home we are ranked low 20's

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - USAJag2011 - 08-17-2016 10:41 AM

If only 3 teams do well, there is no chance IMO, other than App (and possible GS, depending on how GT is this year) running the table and hoping some other teams stumble a couple times.

We'll need at least 6-7 teams stepping up this year to increase SOS across the board.

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - eaglewraith - 08-17-2016 11:04 AM

(08-17-2016 09:12 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Just my 2 cents on the path of each of the three teams to a ranking.

I could be wrong, but I think Richt said at one point he was going to take a more active role in playcalling. Their most successful years at UGA were when he was more involved on the offense.

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - EigenEagle - 08-17-2016 11:05 AM

(08-17-2016 10:41 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  If only 3 teams do well, there is no chance IMO, other than App (and possible GS, depending on how GT is this year) running the table and hoping some other teams stumble a couple times.

We'll need at least 6-7 teams stepping up this year to increase SOS across the board.

Contrary to what dawgxas and some the other CUSA people say, there's no real significant separation between the SBC and CUSA anymore. THe Massey Composite ratings were split down the middle as to who was better. If WKU can get ranked with losses to Indiana and LSU there's no reason our teams shouldn't be able to do the same things.

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - TroyFootball05 - 08-17-2016 11:30 AM

Not losing to the #4 team that will be ranked after they beat Clemson in Week 2, that's what.

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - BurlingtonApp - 08-17-2016 12:33 PM

(08-17-2016 10:26 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  You'll need to have the top MW/CUSA/AAC schools to have a few losses and the SB team to be zero losses.

Why would you put CUSA with the AAC and MWC? If they have a team that's not undefeated, they won't be in. See Marshall a couple years back.

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - TrueBlueDrew - 08-17-2016 12:46 PM

I hope we beat tech this year. This might be our last chance to play an instate team FBS team not named Ga State ever again. Even playing them close would probably be grounds for us to be "Arkansas-stated" where our instate P5's won't play us. That's why we have to beat them this year. The satisfaction of watching the power structure of Georgia college football crumble would be enough to get me through the offseason.

I'd hate it for Paul Johnson but maybe he'll move back to Statesboro after being forced to retire after our game.

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - boroeagle2 - 08-17-2016 01:03 PM

Step 1. Win OOC games
Step 2a. Win Conference Games
Step 2b. OOC Opponents have great seasons other than the loss to us
Step 3. Profit

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - App10 - 08-17-2016 02:24 PM

If App beats UT, we're ranked after week 1. If we lose to UT (respectable loss), beat ODU and beat Miami, I also think we'll be ranked.

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - TrueBlueAlum - 08-17-2016 02:26 PM

Unless an SBC team plays and beats multiple ranked opponents to start the season I just don't see any of us getting ranked before we get to at least 6 or 7 wins.

There are just too many P5 teams that will be undefeated or have 1 loss that will easily get ranked ahead of us. I'm not saying an SBC team wouldn't be deserving, but we are not going to get the benefit of the doubt against teams that have better wins and are in better conferences.

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - Dawgxas - 08-17-2016 03:02 PM

(08-17-2016 11:05 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(08-17-2016 10:41 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  If only 3 teams do well, there is no chance IMO, other than App (and possible GS, depending on how GT is this year) running the table and hoping some other teams stumble a couple times.

Contrary to what dawgxas and some the other CUSA people say, there's no real significant separation between the SBC and CUSA anymore. THe Massey Composite ratings were split down the middle as to who was better. If WKU can get ranked with losses to Indiana and LSU there's no reason our teams shouldn't be able to do the same things.

Yeah that's incorrect. Since all teams have joined, CUSA was ranked ahead of the Sunbelt last year and 2014.

Massey 2014
[Image: o6yr7xIB]

Massey 2015
[Image: kB35pbNw]

Doesn't matter what I say or what I think. CUSA is 9-1 against the Sunbelt since the conferences have been set.

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - Dawgxas - 08-17-2016 03:12 PM

(08-17-2016 10:26 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  You'll need to have the top MW/CUSA/AAC schools to have a few losses and the SB team to be zero losses.

Yep, or a Sunbelt that goes undefeated ooc like app beating Tenn and Miami

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - ericsaid - 08-17-2016 05:36 PM

(08-17-2016 10:38 AM)hendoapp Wrote:  Hang tough in anyway with the vols ,thump odu, topple Miami,and beat zips at home we are ranked low 20's

Doubtful. Miami doesn't carry that much weight. If anything, it would be so early in the season that Miami would be written off as not being ready yet under Richt.

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - UofToledoFans - 08-17-2016 06:17 PM

(08-17-2016 02:24 PM)App10 Wrote:  If App beats UT, we're ranked after week 1. If we lose to UT (respectable loss), beat ODU and beat Miami, I also think we'll be ranked.

You're high. When highly projected teams get beat early they are considered to be overrated. Toledo beat Arkansas when they were ranked 18th in week 2, and UT wasn't close to being ranked. We weren't even ranked after beating Iowa State the following week. It took 4-0 adding W's over stAte and Ball state to break the top25.

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - EigenEagle - 08-17-2016 06:36 PM

(08-17-2016 03:02 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  Doesn't matter what I say or what I think. CUSA is 9-1 against the Sunbelt since the conferences have been set.

The Sun Belt was 2-1 against G5 conference champions last year.
We were 4-3 against the MAC who was rated higher than CUSA.
The AAC was winless against the rest of the G5 in bowl games.
CUSA also had a winning record over the AAC.

How many times do I have to discredit blanket look at win/loss records before it gets through to you?

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - runninjoe - 08-17-2016 06:43 PM

(08-17-2016 06:36 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(08-17-2016 03:02 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  Doesn't matter what I say or what I think. CUSA is 9-1 against the Sunbelt since the conferences have been set.

The Sun Belt was 2-1 against G5 conference champions last year.
We were 4-3 against the MAC who was rated higher than CUSA.
The AAC was winless against the rest of the G5 in bowl games.
CUSA also had a winning record over the AAC.

How many times do I have to discredit blanket look at win/loss records before it gets through to you?
You know how many times the 4 out of 5 champs have played a cdoa school in the last 5 years besides the two wins vs Memphis in '11 and '12 and the loss in '13? They aren't interested in losing. La Tech might have won one bowl game but I would love to have teams like ODU and North Texas on our OOC instead of Utah State and Toledo. North Texas lost 66-7 to an fcs team last year and we haven't lost to them in 8 years. Suffice it to say no CUSA school wants to play us. So your "record" is affected by selection bias.

RE: What will it take for any one of the 3 SBC favorites to get ranked? - TroyFootball05 - 08-17-2016 07:45 PM

(08-17-2016 03:02 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  
(08-17-2016 11:05 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Contrary to what dawgxas and some the other CUSA people say, there's no real significant separation between the SBC and CUSA anymore. THe Massey Composite ratings were split down the middle as to who was better. If WKU can get ranked with losses to Indiana and LSU there's no reason our teams shouldn't be able to do the same things.

Yeah that's incorrect. Since all teams have joined, CUSA was ranked ahead of the Sunbelt last year and 2014.

Massey 2014
[Image: o6yr7xIB]

Massey 2015
[Image: kB35pbNw]

Doesn't matter what I say or what I think. CUSA is 9-1 against the Sunbelt since the conferences have been set.

When the top number is 33 (SEC) and difference between us is 94 (CUSA) and 97 (SBC), one can and should assert there is no significant separation. That should be the case again this year with a stronger SBC, and WKU losing their QB and USM losing their coach at the last minute.