CSNbbs
AAC/MWC Merger - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: AAC/MWC Merger (/thread-784971.html)

Pages: 1 2

AAC/MWC Merger - Ohio Poly - 07-23-2016 07:24 AM

With east/west divisions....isn't that the most likely outcome?

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - goodknightfl - 07-23-2016 07:25 AM

no

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - KNIGHTTIME - 07-23-2016 08:48 AM

Not going to happen without a huge pay increase. Plus you really want the max of 16 teams.

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - Ring of Black - 07-23-2016 09:51 AM

(07-23-2016 08:48 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  Not going to happen without a huge pay increase. Plus you really want the max of 16 teams.

Agree with you both. The pay increase would be minimal, and would come nowhere close to offsetting the HUGE increase in travel expenses. Just looking through the football lens, it looks great, but from a non-revenue and rest of sports perspective, poor idea.

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - Chappy - 07-23-2016 10:39 AM

I don't see a merger unless the AAC and MWC lose a combined 6 schools, and I have not heard talk of the B12 adding 6.

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - FUB - 07-23-2016 11:01 AM

If the AAC loses three schools then expansion will be a must no way around it. All of the next best would be to the west. If we hope to get any kind of better deal in the next media contract there will be no choice . Other wise be prepared for the MWC to strike first. It's down to nut cutting time. Be proactive not reactive or face the situation the B12 finds itself in.

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - msm96wolf - 07-23-2016 12:41 PM

(07-23-2016 11:01 AM)FUB Wrote:  If the AAC loses three schools then expansion will be a must no way around it. All of the next best would be to the west. If we hope to get any kind of better deal in the next media contract there will be no choice . Other wise be prepared for the MWC to strike first. It's down to nut cutting time. Be proactive not reactive or face the situation the B12 finds itself in.

I do agree, it could be who strikes first. SMU/Dallas and Tulane/New Orleans would be logical TV markets to go after for the MWC.

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - SleepingGiantsFan - 07-23-2016 03:50 PM

(07-23-2016 10:39 AM)Chappy Wrote:  I don't see a merger unless the AAC and MWC lose a combined 6 schools, and I have not heard talk of the B12 adding 6.

The B12 won't be adding 6 and even if it did, a merged conference containing the likes of San Jose State, Wyoming and Tulane would be a steaming pile anyway.

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - Westhoff123 - 07-23-2016 04:18 PM

(07-23-2016 03:50 PM)SleepingGiantsFan Wrote:  
(07-23-2016 10:39 AM)Chappy Wrote:  I don't see a merger unless the AAC and MWC lose a combined 6 schools, and I have not heard talk of the B12 adding 6.

The B12 won't be adding 6 and even if it did, a merged conference containing the likes of San Jose State, Wyoming and Tulane would be a steaming pile anyway.

Not to mention it didn't work when c-usa tried to do it last time.

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - RutgersGuy - 07-23-2016 06:18 PM

A scheduling alliance would be a better idea.

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - Tigersmoke3 - 07-24-2016 12:09 PM

Why would anyone team leave t the AAC for the mwc? Western expansion is a dead end proposition, even the pac12 network is floundering. There's a reason the big12's aim is eastern expansion. That's where the TV eyeballs and dollars are. Even if the American loses Memphis, UH,UC you still have USF, UCF, Temple, ECU, and Navy and UCONN Tulsa is also rising quickly. What does the mwc offer other than boise? No the there won't be any mergers of any kind but I can see a crippling raid of some mwc teams wanting to get on espn make more money and be in a true tweener league that would surely go with the p5 if a likely split happens

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - mtmedlin - 07-25-2016 08:31 AM

I can see something happening but...

1. Hawaii would need to finally quit and they are close. They are losing money left and right. The MWC doesn't really want them since they have their own tv deal and they add basically no value. They used to be prestigious but haven't been in a while.

2. The AAC would have to lose three. I still say Houston and Cinci are definitely in and I have a feeling we may lose one more leaving us with 9.

3. If we have 9, then we should offer 7 MWC teams. Utah State and SJSU are new and have no real history or allies, so it's easy to crop 2 (plus Hawaii) so that would leave them with 9 and us choosing 7. I tend to go in this order CSU, Air Force, SDSU, Boise, UNLV, Fresno, New Mexico.... I don't think we need Nevada or Wyoming.

To me, that would make sense for both sides and give each the best combination of markets, competitiveness and it would limit the available conferences to bid on, which lower supply might help get us a small bump.

My biggest fear is if we lose three and people start looks at options... Navy may not want to stay. Tulsa, SMU, Tulane may see the MWC as a better option. Uconn could go Indy in football and seek a Big East offer in all other sports. This conference could implode really quick.

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - mtmedlin - 07-25-2016 08:33 AM

Btw, best case scenario is the big 12 only takes one (and BYU) because they can't agree. I don't see it since money is maximized if they take 4.

Best case is we lose a combo of Cinci and Houston but the MWC decides to not add others. At that point maybe BYU rethinks independence. If we get them, then Air Force and CSU would come over. Then maybe we push for Army as football only to have 14... I'd miss the two we lost but that would be a solid conference.

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - Cyniclone - 07-25-2016 09:11 AM

From what I've read and heard, the Front Range schools (Colorado State, New Mexico, Air Force, Wyoming) are pretty tight, and while the Big 12 might be able to snag one without the others, the AAC would most likely need to offer all four.

I posted this elsewhere, but the only way the MWC can take a reasonable run at AAC schools is if more than one P5 conference were to poach the AAC in such a way that there'd be 6-8 schools left and a big gap between the western and eastern schools. Then the MWC could offer a stable olive branch to Tulane/SMU/Tulsa

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - fanhood - 07-25-2016 09:33 AM

There is no benefit for the Mountain West to do this if the AAC loses three or four teams. The AAC will be terminally weakened, and the MW would have stayed steady. If anything, the MW could add SMU (They want the Texas market).

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - KNIGHTTIME - 07-25-2016 10:24 AM

(07-25-2016 09:33 AM)fanhood Wrote:  There is no benefit for the Mountain West to do this if the AAC loses three or four teams. The AAC will be terminally weakened, and the MW would have stayed steady. If anything, the MW could add SMU (They want the Texas market).

Nobody is moving to the mwc even losing 4 members. Uneven revenue distribution, less tv access, less eyeballs, etc.

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - born in the burg - 07-25-2016 10:36 AM

(07-25-2016 09:11 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  From what I've read and heard, the Front Range schools (Colorado State, New Mexico, Air Force, Wyoming) are pretty tight, and while the Big 12 might be able to snag one without the others, the AAC would most likely need to offer all four.

I posted this elsewhere, but the only way the MWC can take a reasonable run at AAC schools is if more than one P5 conference were to poach the AAC in such a way that there'd be 6-8 schools left and a big gap between the western and eastern schools. Then the MWC could offer a stable olive branch to Tulane/SMU/Tulsa

I think that the MWC is desperate and would seek to expand after the Big 12 takes it's picks. However, this entire thread assumes that AAC teams would be its' only targets. UTEP and Rice of C-USA have been in talks with the MWC. I could see the MWC take Rice, UTEP, SMU, and Tulsa... true WESTERN teams. This would give them them more distribution for TV, yet remain a geographically sensible 16-team conference.

The AAC could then pick the strongest teams from C-USA and MAC.

Then the MAC, Sunbelt, and C-USA could do what makes sense depending on who is left. The stopping point for this round of expansion could result in a G-4 instead of G-5. One of the lesser three conferences would cease to be. A couple of teams will be Idaho'd.

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - MWC Tex - 07-25-2016 10:50 AM

(07-25-2016 10:36 AM)born in the burg Wrote:  
(07-25-2016 09:11 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  From what I've read and heard, the Front Range schools (Colorado State, New Mexico, Air Force, Wyoming) are pretty tight, and while the Big 12 might be able to snag one without the others, the AAC would most likely need to offer all four.

I think that the MWC is desperate and would seek to expand after the Big 12 takes it's picks. However, this entire thread assumes that AAC teams would be its' only targets. UTEP and Rice of C-USA have been in talks with the MWC. I could see the MWC take Rice, UTEP, SMU, and Tulsa... true WESTERN teams. This would give them them more distribution for TV, yet remain a geographically sensible 16-team conference.

Then the MAC, Sunbelt, and C-USA could do what makes sense depending on who is left. The stopping point for this round of expansion could result in a G-4 instead of G-5. One of the lesser three conferences would cease to be. A couple of teams will be Idaho'd.

The MW isn't going to expand at all and the only option for expansion is when the TV contract is up for renewal in 2020.
UTEP and Rice were discussed last December and the MW decided not to move past 12 and they everyone is pretty happy with the conference and no need to add Texas schools. If Texas is important, there are plenty of Texas schools to schedule OOC games.

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - NYCTUFan - 07-25-2016 11:37 AM

I can understand the CUSA programs jumping to the MWC, but I just don’t see the logic at all for SMU or Tulsa.

Unless the MWC and Boise agreed to renegotiate the unequal revenue sharing what sense would it make for Tulsa and SMU to reduce their TV exposure, especially in basketball and shift their visibility to markets with significantly less population? Ask the San Diego State fans their feelings on the TV deal after an 11 win football season and basketball season where they were a top 25 team.

RE: AAC/MWC Merger - Cyniclone - 07-25-2016 12:45 PM

I only mentioned AAC teams because the thread was specifically about the AAC and MWC, and one of the branch-offs was "what if the MWC tried to make a run at the AAC's western teams?"

Because yes, the MWC would at least kick the tires on the Texas schools in CUSA, and possibly Texas State in the Sun Belt.

The far greater likelihood is that the MWC either loses nobody to the Big 12 and holds steady, or they lose Colorado State and replace them with UTEP or Rice (or Hawaii drops football and they just stay at 10).