CSNbbs
TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham (/thread-780614.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - WKUFan518 - 05-24-2016 10:20 AM

According to MTSU beat writer, no decision until June he says...

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - BlazerGold09 - 05-24-2016 10:34 AM

Neither a bad choice. I'd like to see Houston, Charlotte, and maybe Jacksonville get in the mix soon though.

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - MTowho - 05-24-2016 10:52 AM

I know El Paso supports the tournament as well as if not better than anyone, and I know it's about the money, but it's just a nightmare for anyone not on the athletic dept's dime that wants to see their team play. The other 3 Texas schools are consistently in the bottom half of the standings. And I know I'm biased towards Birmingham given the short drive, but my god I'd rather it be played in Fort Lauderdale where it's easy to travel to for all schools than literally the other side of the country.

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - Almadenmike - 05-24-2016 10:56 AM

Which sport's tourney?

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - BeliefBlazer - 05-24-2016 10:58 AM

El Paso is a great choice to host the basketball tournament. Not perfect, but there are no perfect choices in C-USA

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - monarx - 05-24-2016 11:01 AM

Nothing against El Paso, but it sucks for the vast majority of the conference. There won't be 2,000 people there outside of UTEP fans. Hope they get a big corporate sponsor or something. Isn't a conference tournament supposed to generate enough revenue to pay the administration costs for the conference each year? Good luck. At least Birmingham is slightly more central, even if its not an exciting or welcoming locale.

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - Dawgxas - 05-24-2016 11:13 AM

Just from what I heard El Paso supports the CUSA tourney and is very accomodating to fans from other schools. If it's not going to be in a new locale, El Paso would be the best choice

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - SpaceRaider - 05-24-2016 11:18 AM

Would love to see it back in Birmingham. Driveable for most of those CUSA programs, outside of el paso, that invest in basketball in any meaningful way.

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - wh49er - 05-24-2016 11:25 AM

I hope it is in Birmingham next year. First time in a long time I'm confident enough that the 49ers will make it out of the first round.

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - THUNDERStruck73 - 05-24-2016 11:50 AM

(05-24-2016 11:13 AM)Dawgxas Wrote:  Just from what I heard El Paso supports the CUSA tourney and is very accomodating to fans from other schools. If it's not going to be in a new locale, El Paso would be the best choice

It isn't hard to accommodate 25 people. 05-stirthepot

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - Eagleholic - 05-24-2016 11:58 AM

(05-24-2016 11:01 AM)monarx Wrote:  Nothing against El Paso, but it sucks for the vast majority of the conference. There won't be 2,000 people there outside of UTEP fans. Hope they get a big corporate sponsor or something. Isn't a conference tournament supposed to generate enough revenue to pay the administration costs for the conference each year? Good luck. At least Birmingham is slightly more central, even if its not an exciting or welcoming locale.

I'm not sure that there have been 2,000 fans outside of the home team in the past 10 years.

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - MinerInWisconsin - 05-24-2016 12:35 PM

(05-24-2016 11:58 AM)Eagleholic Wrote:  
(05-24-2016 11:01 AM)monarx Wrote:  Nothing against El Paso, but it sucks for the vast majority of the conference. There won't be 2,000 people there outside of UTEP fans. Hope they get a big corporate sponsor or something. Isn't a conference tournament supposed to generate enough revenue to pay the administration costs for the conference each year? Good luck. At least Birmingham is slightly more central, even if its not an exciting or welcoming locale.

I'm not sure that there have been 2,000 fans outside of the home team in the past 10 years.

Pretty sure you are correct. No matter where it's been played, visiting fans are not plentiful. May as well have it at a venue that will put up the money to guarantee financial success for C-USA and so far that would be UAB or UTEP.

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - ESE84 - 05-24-2016 12:38 PM

(05-24-2016 10:52 AM)MTowho Wrote:  I know El Paso supports the tournament as well as if not better than anyone, and I know it's about the money, but it's just a nightmare for anyone not on the athletic dept's dime that wants to see their team play. The other 3 Texas schools are consistently in the bottom half of the standings. And I know I'm biased towards Birmingham given the short drive, but my god I'd rather it be played in Fort Lauderdale where it's easy to travel to for all schools than literally the other side of the country.

Fort Lauderdale is easy to travel to for all schools? If you are talking by airplane, Southwest Airlines also serves El Paso with cheap fares.

Once you get to El Paso, it is a low cost city with plenty to offer between games.

One of those other 3 Texas schools has made considerable investments in its basketball program, and scored some highly rated recruiting classes, without any off-season transfers. Its days of finishing in the bottom half of the conference look to be in the past.

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - BKTopper - 05-24-2016 01:16 PM

(05-24-2016 12:38 PM)ESE84 Wrote:  
(05-24-2016 10:52 AM)MTowho Wrote:  I know El Paso supports the tournament as well as if not better than anyone, and I know it's about the money, but it's just a nightmare for anyone not on the athletic dept's dime that wants to see their team play. The other 3 Texas schools are consistently in the bottom half of the standings. And I know I'm biased towards Birmingham given the short drive, but my god I'd rather it be played in Fort Lauderdale where it's easy to travel to for all schools than literally the other side of the country.

Fort Lauderdale is easy to travel to for all schools? If you are talking by airplane, Southwest Airlines also serves El Paso with cheap fares.

Once you get to El Paso, it is a low cost city with plenty to offer between games.

One of those other 3 Texas schools has made considerable investments in its basketball program, and scored some highly rated recruiting classes, without any off-season transfers. Its days of finishing in the bottom half of the conference look to be in the past.
Which one?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - usm99 - 05-24-2016 01:23 PM

Que the FAU radio basketball guy so he can continue his rant from last year about having to travel again

Found the thread and have now added it:
http://csnbbs.com/thread-773416.html

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - WKUFan518 - 05-24-2016 01:28 PM

(05-24-2016 01:23 PM)usm99 Wrote:  Que the FAU radio basketball guy so he can continue his rant from last year about having to travel again

Well if we only invite the top 8 teams each season, more then likely he will never have to worry about travel again...

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - ATTALLABLAZE - 05-24-2016 01:36 PM

I'm good with either. Anyone who says it isn't easy to get to El Paso needs to discover Southwest. Smdh.

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - ATTALLABLAZE - 05-24-2016 01:37 PM

Whether it is people need to show up.

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - monarx - 05-24-2016 03:26 PM

(05-24-2016 11:58 AM)Eagleholic Wrote:  

Seriously, with 14 teams in this conference we can't get 2000 from 13 schools combined?!! If thats the case this conference is just sad. I'm being a bit hypocritical because I haven't been to one yet since they've been in El Paso and Birmingham, but I did go to about 15 in a row when it was within driving distance. Theres no excuse for a top half division 1 conference to only have a couple thousand fans in attendance. The CIAA draws 5X that and they're D2.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2015.pdf

Here are some quick numbers from 2014 that show CUSA a little better off. Was it in El Paso that year?

RE: TOurnament is in either El Paso or Brimingham - Thegoldstandard - 05-24-2016 03:40 PM

Birmingham does not have a bad set up at all. If you like to watch both the venues are easy to get to. But utep does have everyone beat as far as setup goes.