CSNbbs
Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center (/thread-769693.html)

Pages: 1 2

Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - Proud El Pasoan - 02-07-2016 05:12 PM

With a sold-out and very loud crowd at the Don Haskins Center, Western Kentucky learns on their very first trip to El Paso how difficult it is to win in the Don Haskins Center especially when there is a sold-out and loud crowd. Just when it looked as if the anniversary celebration was going to be spoiled, the Miners come rocking back with a great come from behind victory.

A Great Game and A Great Comeback on a historic night! I think this was the Miners' best game so far this season. Couldn't have asked for anything better on that night!

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - Smaug - 02-07-2016 05:23 PM

A lesson UAB learned a long time ago.

Congrats on the comeback on your special day.

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - UTEPDallas - 02-07-2016 05:25 PM

It's been easy lately for other teams to win at the Don. It was a good win yesterday but let's not pretend we have home court advantage like Gonzaga or Wichita State. Time for a new coach.

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - usmbacker - 02-07-2016 05:45 PM

And Tim Floyd has learned winning at the Green House in front of 800 fans is tough also.

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - ThunderingHerdFan - 02-07-2016 06:07 PM

(02-07-2016 05:25 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  It's been easy lately for other teams to win at the Don. It was a good win yesterday but let's not pretend we have home court advantage like Gonzaga or Wichita State. Time for a new coach.

You just had a great weekend on the floor. Call for the coach's head after the season.

UTEP could have easily gone 0-2, but going 2-0 breathes some fresh life into them heading down the homestretch.

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - Hilltopper2K - 02-07-2016 07:31 PM

Great game. Great crowd.

I knew when we were missing all of those free throws that we were in trouble.

Fans complain about coaches (rightly or wrongly) but they have more control over outcomes than they get credit (or blame) for. You have attendance like Wichita State does night in and night out and eventually you will have results like Wichita State does.

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - MinerInWisconsin - 02-07-2016 07:57 PM

(02-07-2016 05:25 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  It's been easy lately for other teams to win at the Don. It was a good win yesterday but let's not pretend we have home court advantage like Gonzaga or Wichita State. Time for a new coach.

Yesterday the 12k gave UTEP their old home court advantage back. Used to have it all season for any game that was worthwhile. So yes, yesterday the Don was the equal of Gonz or WS home court. Most of this season the crowd has not had much to root for and many have not even attended. Special day.

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - TTT - 02-07-2016 08:58 PM

(02-07-2016 05:45 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  And Tim Floyd has learned winning at the Green House in front of 800 fans is tough also.

Ha ha. Now THAT'S hilarious.

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - THUNDERStruck73 - 02-08-2016 10:07 AM

I heard both teams wore throwbacks. PLEASE tell me you guys were prancing around in booty chokers 03-lmfao !!!!

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - WKU Topper - 02-08-2016 10:17 AM

(02-07-2016 05:12 PM)Proud El Pasoan Wrote:  With a sold-out and very loud crowd at the Don Haskins Center, Western Kentucky learns on their very first trip to El Paso how difficult it is to win in the Don Haskins Center especially when there is a sold-out and loud crowd. Just when it looked as if the anniversary celebration was going to be spoiled, the Miners come rocking back with a great come from behind victory.

A Great Game and A Great Comeback on a historic night! I think this was the Miners' best game so far this season. Couldn't have asked for anything better on that night!

Not to downplay the terrific atmosphere that was this game but it's tough for WKU to win anywhere on the road this year (one for nine). Empty arena or sold out, makes no difference. Special shout out to North Texas 01-ncaabbs for literally handing us our "BIG" road win and for breaking our road losing streak. Will undoubtedly be our only road win all year considering our two remaining road games are at UAB and MTSU.

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - Fitbud - 02-08-2016 10:48 AM

(02-07-2016 06:07 PM)ThunderingHerdFan Wrote:  

You just had a great weekend on the floor. Call for the coach's head after the season.

UTEP could have easily gone 0-2, but going 2-0 breathes some fresh life into them heading down the homestretch.

Don't be surprised if this week's wins secured Floyd's job for another 2 or 3 seasons. 03-lmfao

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - galojah - 02-08-2016 12:19 PM

WKU has yet to learn how to close out a win -- on the road or at home. We've had several games where we were leading double digits with 5-6 minutes to go and we blow it. Coach switches style to burn clock and we burn ourselves. UTEP game demonstrated that on an even more unbelievable scale.

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - olliebaba - 02-08-2016 02:42 PM

I guess floyd has finally learned that the and would rather have a high scoring game versus one where they empty the shot clock. Man, those games before these ones would make me grind my teeth. Sometimes the team would run out of clock before they shot the ball. I. Don't. Like. That.

At least if you're gonna lose make it exciting for us who paid the money not for us to grab a magazine and read the whole thing.

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - WKUFan518 - 02-08-2016 02:58 PM

It wasn't too difficult for about 35 out of the 40 min, lol...

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - WKUFan518 - 02-08-2016 02:59 PM

(02-08-2016 12:19 PM)galojah Wrote:  WKU has yet to learn how to close out a win -- on the road or at home. We've had several games where we were leading double digits with 5-6 minutes to go and we blow it. Coach switches style to burn clock and we burn ourselves. UTEP game demonstrated that on an even more unbelievable scale.

Only common thread on blowing leads late in games is one name..Players change, but our HC has not...

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - BlazerGold09 - 02-08-2016 03:09 PM

These are the kind of games CUSA needs to have regularly on national TV. I know it's not possible to duplicate that crowd on a given night. For me it was the uniforms and the effort displayed by both teams. You could tell both of these squads really wanted this win. I hope moving forward that this game whether it's in El Paso or BG it can be a 'throw back" game. The history these teams have is unrivaled within the conference.

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - WKUYG - 02-08-2016 03:14 PM

(02-08-2016 02:59 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  
(02-08-2016 12:19 PM)galojah Wrote:  WKU has yet to learn how to close out a win -- on the road or at home. We've had several games where we were leading double digits with 5-6 minutes to go and we blow it. Coach switches style to burn clock and we burn ourselves. UTEP game demonstrated that on an even more unbelievable scale.

Only common thread on blowing leads late in games is one name..Players change, but our HC has not...

So tell all of us uninformed what the coaches record is in games where his team had a late lead? I know this season but that's not what you said...

can you show me the games? I assume you must know, at least you said you did with the above statement.

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - mistabinks - 02-08-2016 05:11 PM

I don't think it was mentioned on TV but UTEP aired a segment on the videotron celebrating WKU's Sweet 16 appearance in the 1966 tournament. Hopefully the WKU Athletic Department appreciated that.

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - WKUYG - 02-08-2016 05:17 PM

(02-08-2016 05:11 PM)mistabinks Wrote:  I don't think it was mentioned on TV but UTEP aired a segment on the videotron celebrating WKU's Sweet 16 appearance in the 1966 tournament. Hopefully the WKU Athletic Department appreciated that.

One call in that game changed your school's history. At the time (national newspapers) it was called the worse call in the history of the tourney. If not for that one call uk would not have got past Western. Western had black player for a few years by then.

RE: Western Kentucky Learns How Difficult it is to Win in the Don Haskins Center - mistabinks - 02-08-2016 07:33 PM

(02-08-2016 05:17 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(02-08-2016 05:11 PM)mistabinks Wrote:  I don't think it was mentioned on TV but UTEP aired a segment on the videotron celebrating WKU's Sweet 16 appearance in the 1966 tournament. Hopefully the WKU Athletic Department appreciated that.

One call in that game changed your school's history. At the time (national newspapers) it was called the worse call in the history of the tourney. If not for that one call uk would not have got past Western. Western had black player for a few years by then.

There is an addendum to every story I suppose. Speaking of bad calls, The Bear almost made history two seasons prior in 1964. So it's not really about who could have but who actually did. That being said, the point of my post was that it was pretty damn cool of UTEP Athletics to include WKU in the celebration and honor your 1966 team. That was class.