CSNbbs
2016 schedule - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Western Michigan (/forum-469.html)
+------ Forum: The Dan Burgardt Memorial Bronco Football Forum (/forum-489.html)
+------ Thread: 2016 schedule (/thread-764768.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

2016 schedule - ColinApocalypse - 12-29-2015 09:00 PM

Hey guys, it's our favorite time of year: OFFSEASON!! (heavy sarcasm)

So the 2016 schedule is shaping up to be pretty interesting and should make for a fun season.

SCHEDULE:

@ Northwestern
FCS foe (likely a Murray or Nicholls)
@ Illinois
Georgia Southern
---------------
@CMU, Toledo, NIU, EMU, @BSU

3 MAC East foes (anyone have ideas? Possibly Akron, Kent, Buffalo as we haven't seen them in a while)

NOTES:
- Northwestern is tough, but beatable. First game of the season is always interesting.

- Illinois is very vulnerable and will be VERY interesting considering the whole coaching situation...

- Home against GaSo and a year of experience should help with this one.

- Having Toledo and Northern Illinois at home is nice. Traveling to Central might spell trouble, but they don't particularly scare me.

- Might be up against some East division bottom-feeders. In fact, no teams in the East scare me at all. BG is Johnson-less, Greene-less and Babers-less.

Interesting note!!: Neither NIU or Toledo face a P5 team in 2016. WMU's non-con schedule will still be the toughest in the West. There are some hilariously easy non-con schedules in the MAC next year. CMU with 2nd-toughest.

MAC West non-con schedules in 2016:

Ball State:
@ Georgia State
@ Indiana
Eastern Kentucky
@ Florida Atlantic

Central Michigan:
Presbyterian
@ Oklahoma State
UNLV
@ Virginia

Eastern Michigan:
TBD - FCS
@ Missouri
@ Charlotte
Wyoming

Northern Illinois:
@ Wyoming
@ USF
San Diego State
TBD - FCS

Toledo:
@ Arkansas State
Maine
Fresno State
@ BYU

So, what are your thoughts on the upcoming season?

Sidenote: any trolling in this thread will not be tolerated. Take it to one of the other crap threads.

RE: 2016 schedule - ChuckNorris - 12-29-2015 09:03 PM

Why did we end up giving the home game back to Illinois? I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but gosh that would be hot ticket.

RE: 2016 schedule - Doo - 12-29-2015 09:11 PM

The only reason anything happens in college football. $$$$$

RE: 2016 schedule - jubbasubba - 12-29-2015 09:14 PM

(12-29-2015 09:03 PM)ChuckNorris Wrote:  Why did we end up giving the home game back to Illinois? I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but gosh that would be hot ticket.

we didn't from what I can remember. I thought we got a home basketball game and a neutral football game out of the deal.

RE: 2016 schedule - Hoekjeness - 12-29-2015 09:24 PM

I'd like to think we can go 3-1 in non-conference, but could just as easily see us starting 1-3 and I wouldn't be totally stunned. I would be disappointed, but I could care less because next years main mission is winning the MAC. EOD.

I think we realistically start 2-2 in non-conference with wins against our FCS opponent and Illinois. If we lose to Illinois, I think GSA becomes a "must-win" type of game and we get the job done.

I don't know who we're going to lose to, but I don't see us getting through MAC play totally unscathed. I could see it being Toledo, CMU, or a MAC East road game (Akron?).. just depends on who we draw. I'll say we go 7-1 in league play.

Final record: 9-3 (7-1)

WMU over BGSU in MACC: 10-3

Bowl game: WMU vs. Marshall in the Boca Raton Bowl 04-rock

RE: 2016 schedule - Doo - 12-29-2015 09:28 PM

Along the lines of what I'm thinking too.

Double digit wins minimum when you add MACC and bowls into the picture.

RE: 2016 schedule - ChuckNorris - 12-29-2015 09:29 PM

(12-29-2015 09:24 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  I'd like to think we can go 3-1 in non-conference, but could just as easily see us starting 1-3 and I wouldn't be totally stunned. I would be disappointed, but I could care less because next years main mission is winning the MAC. EOD.

I think we realistically start 2-2 in non-conference with wins against our FCS opponent and Illinois. If we lose to Illinois, I think GSA becomes a "must-win" type of game and we get the job done.

I don't know who we're going to lose to, but I don't see us getting through MAC play totally unscathed. I could see it being Toledo, CMU, or a MAC East road game (Akron?).. just depends on who we draw. I'll say we go 7-1 in league play.

Final record: 9-3 (7-1)

Bowl game: WMU vs. Marshall in the Boca Raton Bowl 04-rock

That would be about the best season in program history. I'll take it.

RE: 2016 schedule - MRBUTTONS - 12-29-2015 11:55 PM

(12-29-2015 09:14 PM)jubbasubba Wrote:  
(12-29-2015 09:03 PM)ChuckNorris Wrote:  Why did we end up giving the home game back to Illinois? I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but gosh that would be hot ticket.

we didn't from what I can remember. I thought we got a home basketball game and a neutral football game out of the deal.

04-cheers I seem to remember the same thing as the reason they came here for bb a few years ago.

RE: 2016 schedule - toddjnsn - 12-30-2015 08:25 PM

Quote:Final record: 9-3 (7-1)

Bowl game: WMU vs. Marshall in the Boca Raton Bowl

Seems reasonable, and I'm in the same boat. 2-2 non-conf is par expectations. If we can't beat GA-Southern at home, we should mildly upset Illinois, or solidly upset NW. One of those, for "par", has to give -- leading us to 2-2.

MAC -- It's expected for us to lose 1, if we want to be realistic. Last year we lost at the end to Toledo at home, we lost to NIU at home blowing the 2nd half -- but Stomped MAC East Champs BGSU, and took care of Ohio well, too.

This upcoming year, we have Toledo & NIU at home -- and CMU on the road (even though they have to replace QB, they will want revenge and are the types who can pull an upset against us)... combine that with a MAC East up and coming Akron we may have to face, or someone else -- it's still no gimmie. No MAC team (including NIU now) can Expect to go undefeated in a great season.

So yeah, 2-2, 7-1 --> 9-3. BGSU may not make it to the MACC. Akron, Ohio, or Buffalo may be the team. If Akron makes it, it's going to be a truly improved Akron, so, look out. But if we were to lose, I would expect to win a bowl on top of it.

Either way, "par" at the end of Bowls: 10W (that changes to 9-11W depending on range of difficulty of our sched; more likely 11 than 9)

RE: 2016 schedule - MajorHoople - 12-31-2015 09:15 AM

Toledo beat two P5s last Fall, was unbeaten OOC.

Why should we expect less in Fleck's fourth year, with mostly "his players (recruits)"?

RE: 2016 schedule - Hoekjeness - 12-31-2015 10:05 AM

(12-31-2015 09:15 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Toledo beat two P5s last Fall, was unbeaten OOC.

Why should we expect less in Fleck's fourth year, with mostly "his players (recruits)"?

How'd that work out for Toledo?

Yeah... we aren't Toledo.

Don't care about OOC. Want a MACC.

RE: 2016 schedule - emu steve - 12-31-2015 11:10 AM

I'll predict 8 - 4 with a min. of 2 OOC and 6 MAC Ws.

The wild card will be the OOC which could be two wins or possibly three.

RE: 2016 schedule - ChuckNorris - 12-31-2015 11:51 AM

Toledo got run by us

RE: 2016 schedule - gobaseline - 12-31-2015 11:55 AM

(12-31-2015 10:05 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  
(12-31-2015 09:15 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Toledo beat two P5s last Fall, was unbeaten OOC.

Coach Fleck has repeatedly stated that the superior competition WMU played in OCC this season set the table for the success later in the regular season. Particularly at Toledo because it was do or die. Key players echoed that position.

RE: 2016 schedule - gobaseline - 12-31-2015 12:11 PM

It is illogical to think otherwise.

Weaker schedule maybe the Achilles heel. Not taking someone as seriously as they should.

Conference is conference. Fierce, but talent particularly coached up talent should win. Always exceptions with missed calls, injuries, weather, etc. I read all the time on this site that playing the likes of Toledo and NIU on THE ROAD is much more difficult. Next year that difficulty is removed. EOD. You cant play it both ways with any integrity. Weather is a shared event. Bad calls are evened out by missed calls in your favor. EOD.

NW and Illinois? Not particularly good. CFB this year is down. The worst it has been in a long time. I recently heard from a former NFL player turned commentator that the NFL is the worst it has been in decades. He blamed it on the pipeline (College). So an up and coming WMU should elevate to or above mid range B10 teams without much issue. Look what a younger WMU did against dysfunctional OSU (QB issues and not running their RB enough in a critical loss) and MSU that too often played down (Maybe not taking seriously) some opponents. Take away the freak last second punt play at Mich. and Sparty loses to a forgettable Scum squad.

Now with Braverman possibly gone a more recent recruit can fill the void with no issues. By all readings here, the Admiral has it going, 7-5 in regular season, bowl win, repeated recruiting hauls that blow every other like program away. Add to it a weaker schedule and an even more mature group of WMU players (Okafor will be a junior) there is no logical excuse to keep WMU from running the table.

RE: 2016 schedule - Boca Rocket - 12-31-2015 12:22 PM

(12-31-2015 11:55 AM)gobaseline Wrote:  

Coach Fleck has repeatedly stated that the superior competition WMU played in OCC this season set the table for the success later in the regular season. Particularly at Toledo because it was do or die. Key players echoed that position.

Toledo won the stat battle against WMU. Alonzo Russell screwing up on the
return of the rugby punt and the targeting penalty cost Toledo the game.

RE: 2016 schedule - Cucumber Salad - 12-31-2015 12:33 PM

(12-31-2015 12:22 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(12-31-2015 11:55 AM)gobaseline Wrote:  

Toledo won the stat battle against WMU. Alonzo Russell screwing up on the
return of the rugby punt and the targeting penalty cost Toledo the game.

Stats are simply indicators not the outcome.

No one will ever honestly know how Campbell's pre game decision to move onto ISU effected his decision making during the game. Not implying anything intentionally negative. But it raises questions about unintended consequences. Again, a pre-text and not an outcome but interesting nonetheless.

RE: 2016 schedule - MajorHoople - 12-31-2015 12:49 PM

"How'd that work out for Toledo"?

10-2, share of MAC-West, bowl game win. Better than us in spite of our victory in Glass Bowl.

If it wasn't for their inexplicable annual implosion against NIU they'd have been playing for MACC.

RE: 2016 schedule - Boca Rocket - 12-31-2015 01:04 PM

(12-31-2015 12:49 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  "How'd that work out for Toledo"?

10-2, share of MAC-West, bowl game win. Better than us in spite of our victory in Glass Bowl.

If it wasn't for their inexplicable annual implosion against NIU they'd have been playing for MACC.

When Hare and TommyLee Lewis went out, Toledo became too conservative and didn't play to win. Especially on Defense. Backed off on the blitzes and loosened up the coverage. I expect the Rockets to be better in 2016. Don't have to replace the OL in 2016. Core of the Defense is still around
with the addition of players like Jhonny Williams.

RE: 2016 schedule - Hoekjeness - 12-31-2015 05:30 PM

(12-31-2015 12:11 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  NW and Illinois? Not particularly good.

Northwestern finished 10-2 and is ranked #12 in the country.