CSNbbs
Invite Army to Sun Belt - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Invite Army to Sun Belt (/thread-758983.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Invite Army to Sun Belt - Ewglenn - 11-20-2015 11:36 PM

I was thinking and I thought why not invite Army? I understand the travel concerns but it's a little closer than Idaho. With Air Force and Navy having places in conferences in the G5 I feel it potentially could make sense. They have a loyal fan base and would bring a bit of attention to this conference. Just wondering others opinions on it? Also do yall think Army would be interested?

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - CatMom - 11-20-2015 11:40 PM

Speaking of Air Force, they're ahead of Boise 24-13 at half time.

I'm worn out on expansion talk, to be honest. I want to just sit back and let the SBC get settled with the new adds; which includes us, GS and USA. We haven't had a stable (group) conference in several years and I'd like to just get us to a reasonable number of a solid core of teams for a while.

Unless a P5 conference starts some domino effect I'm good where we are now. (Hopefully we'll start pulling some weight around here by then.)

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - Ewglenn - 11-20-2015 11:49 PM

One more thing to add, they averaged 34,262 fans per home game last year. I understand the expansion talk is old but I think it's going to happen again so we might as well run this into the ground lol.

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - eh9198 - 11-20-2015 11:54 PM

I'd rather drop one of the western teams and add Little Rock football. A guy can dream, anyway.

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - Michael in Raleigh - 11-21-2015 12:01 AM

(11-20-2015 11:36 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  I was thinking and I thought why not invite Army? I understand the travel concerns but it's a little closer than Idaho. With Air Force and Navy having places in conferences in the G5 I feel it potentially could make sense. They have a loyal fan base and would bring a bit of attention to this conference. Just wondering others opinions on it? Also do yall think Army would be interested?

I doubt Army would accept an invitation. In fact, if Benson has at all done his due diligence, he has already gone to Army and BYU and given them a standing offer to join any time they want. That doesn't mean they would reciprocate the interest.

Remember: Army was in C-USA for five or six years in the late 90's and early 2000's, but after being in uncompetitive during those years, they left for neither a weaker conference at the time (like the MAC or SBC) nor a stronger one, like the Big East. Rather, they left for independence.

I think independence is the route they'll continue; they get a pretty suitable schedule as it is, and they're on TV (CBSSN, I believe). If they do join somewhere, though, I think it will be for the geographically diverse AAC. That would give them games against private schools like Tulane, SMU, and Tulsa, and of course would align them in the same league with Navy. Being in a league with just southern schools and a pair of western schools on a short term contract just wouldn't make a ton of sense for them.

That said, I would be all for the Mountaineers playing the Cadets, and for any other SBC school who can manage a H&H with them. Playing any service academy should be considered an honor for the institution.

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - Ewglenn - 11-21-2015 12:09 AM

(11-21-2015 12:01 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(11-20-2015 11:36 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  I was thinking and I thought why not invite Army? I understand the travel concerns but it's a little closer than Idaho. With Air Force and Navy having places in conferences in the G5 I feel it potentially could make sense. They have a loyal fan base and would bring a bit of attention to this conference. Just wondering others opinions on it? Also do yall think Army would be interested?

I doubt Army would accept an invitation. In fact, if Benson has at all done his due diligence, he has already gone to Army and BYU and given them a standing offer to join any time they want. That doesn't mean they would reciprocate the interest.

Remember: Army was in C-USA for five or six years in the late 90's and early 2000's, but after being in uncompetitive during those years, they left for neither a weaker conference at the time (like the MAC or SBC) nor a stronger one, like the Big East. Rather, they left for independence.

I think independence is the route they'll continue; they get a pretty suitable schedule as it is, and they're on TV (CBSSN, I believe). If they do join somewhere, though, I think it will be for the geographically diverse AAC. That would give them games against private schools like Tulane, SMU, and Tulsa, and of course would align them in the same league with Navy. Being in a league with just southern schools and a pair of western schools on a short term contract just wouldn't make a ton of sense for them.

That said, I would be all for the Mountaineers playing the Cadets, and for any other SBC school who can manage a H&H with them. Playing any service academy should be considered an honor for the institution.

Valid points I was thinking that the main problem would be the interest from them. I would be interested to see if they would do a scheduling agreement similar to what ND and the ACC have. It would ease the amount of scheduling conflicts that come with being an independent plus it would be considered a "money" game for most SBC teams(I would think).

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - arkstfan - 11-21-2015 12:54 AM

Here are the problems.

1. As noted Army had a disaster in CUSA, they are going to be leery of joining a league.
2. They think they are WAAAAAY better than Sun Belt membership.
3. From a practical standpoint their major recruiting opponents are Air Force (MWC) and Navy (AAC). With the other two in the top 2 G5 leagues, joining Sun Belt, MAC, CUSA is a PR disaster.

Now from a practical standpoint, Army hasn't done a good job recruiting the south (compare their rosters to Navy and AFA) and the south is traditionally very strong for enlistment so there is clearly a disconnect there.

They would be well served joining a southern oriented league, heck they would be well served joining ANY league, even if it were football only with the MWC but I just don't see it happening.

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - bladhmadh - 11-21-2015 05:32 AM

I might make more sence to work on a scheduling agreement. A couple of home and homes a year with southern teams. If I works well than extend a football only offer

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - Atlanta Trojan - 11-21-2015 07:31 AM

I would be 100% on board with Army coming on. But I doubt they would.

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - GSU Eagles - 11-21-2015 07:54 AM

They won't even schedule a home and home with a SBC team much less join the league.

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - ButlerGSU - 11-21-2015 08:30 AM

I think if Army wanted in a conference, they cold join the AAC or heck, even the ACC. There are very few conferences that would turn Army down but more of a questions of whether Army feels they could be competitive in the conference. Army could certainly compete in the Sun Belt but do they feel it's prestigious enough for West Point?

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - runamuck - 11-21-2015 08:47 AM

(11-21-2015 08:30 AM)ButlerGSU Wrote:  I think if Army wanted in a conference, they cold join the AAC or heck, even the ACC. There are very few conferences that would turn Army down but more of a questions of whether Army feels they could be competitive in the conference. Army could certainly compete in the Sun Belt but do they feel it's prestigious enough for West Point?

I dont think Army would want the world to view them as a peer school to anyone in the sbc. they are stuck until a conference with a higher perceived level of universities has an opening.

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - GSUPanther96 - 11-21-2015 09:04 AM

(11-21-2015 07:54 AM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  They won't even schedule a home and home with a SBC team much less join the league.

Home and Home scheduled for 2021-22.
http://www.fbschedules.com/2015/08/army-georgia-state-schedule-2021-22-football-series/

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - GSU Eagles - 11-21-2015 09:35 AM

(11-21-2015 09:04 AM)GSUPanther96 Wrote:  
(11-21-2015 07:54 AM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  They won't even schedule a home and home with a SBC team much less join the league.

Home and Home scheduled for 2021-22.
http://www.fbschedules.com/2015/08/army-georgia-state-schedule-2021-22-football-series/

Should have added an asterisk. *except to access Atlanta recruiting market.

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - Bobcat87 - 11-21-2015 10:18 AM

Like James Madison . . . They ain't comin'. .. .

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - EigenEagle - 11-21-2015 11:16 AM

Don't want Army dragging our conference RPI down.

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - OsageJ - 11-21-2015 11:43 AM

We played them at home in 2006. We won 14-6.

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - Usajags - 11-21-2015 01:11 PM

Just invite the next best thing. We could Army Jr, also known as The Citidal. And they are currently beating USC(South Carolina).

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - Ewglenn - 11-21-2015 04:55 PM

(11-21-2015 01:11 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Just invite the next best thing. We could Army Jr, also known as The Citidal. And they are currently beating USC(South Carolina).

Plus they are in charleston sc with a decent stadium.

RE: Invite Army to Sun Belt - SoCalBobcat78 - 11-21-2015 06:02 PM

(11-21-2015 12:54 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Here are the problems.

1. As noted Army had a disaster in CUSA, they are going to be leery of joining a league.
2. They think they are WAAAAAY better than Sun Belt membership.
3. From a practical standpoint their major recruiting opponents are Air Force (MWC) and Navy (AAC). With the other two in the top 2 G5 leagues, joining Sun Belt, MAC, CUSA is a PR disaster.

Now from a practical standpoint, Army hasn't done a good job recruiting the south (compare their rosters to Navy and AFA) and the south is traditionally very strong for enlistment so there is clearly a disconnect there.

They would be well served joining a southern oriented league, heck they would be well served joining ANY league, even if it were football only with the MWC but I just don't see it happening.

Besides the problems that you listed, Army has better TV exposure and TV revenue without the Sun Belt. Army gets about $2.5 million for the Navy game alone and all of their home games are televised on the CBS Sports Network. An additional issue is that their schedule is pretty much full through 2021.