CSNbbs
3 keys and a contrarian call. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Western Michigan (/forum-469.html)
+------ Forum: The Dan Burgardt Memorial Bronco Football Forum (/forum-489.html)
+------ Thread: 3 keys and a contrarian call. (/thread-746890.html)

Pages: 1 2

3 keys and a contrarian call. - gobaseline - 08-31-2015 11:49 PM

Move the chains managing the clock keeping Sparty on the field.
How WMU mentally handles giving up a big play or two.
Special teams need to be. Field position and put points on the board.

Me thinks that MSU may probe and feel some to slowly work into a lather trying out some combinations of personnel. WMU needs to come out of the blocks with confident urgency. Don't be cautious. Be smart.

Conventional wisdom says WMU cant run it. I say take on the "shot blocker". Go right at them. If they are going to pin there ears back to press ZT you need to be able to push them wide and attack the gaps. You can go power with Franklin (but that is conventional) or you can use him to decoy and go with a Bogan and Bellamy. Once they try to counter then you play action, suck them in and go over the top.

Haldeman could be huge in determining the outcome.

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - goldsworth - 09-01-2015 06:26 AM

(08-31-2015 11:49 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  Move the chains managing the clock keeping Sparty on the field.

Me thinks that MSU may probe and feel some to slowly work into a lather trying out some combinations of personnel. WMU needs to come out of the blocks with confident urgency. Don't be cautious. Be smart.

Conventional wisdom says WMU cant run it. I say take on the "shot blocker". Go right at them. If they are going to pin there ears back to press ZT you need to be able to push them wide and attack the gaps. You can go power with Franklin (but that is conventional) or you can use him to decoy and go with a Bogan and Bellamy. Once they try to counter then you play action, suck them in and go over the top.

Nice GB! Spoken like an astute football analyst.

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - broncofan1 - 09-01-2015 08:49 AM

(08-31-2015 11:49 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  I say take on the "shot blocker". Go right at them.

Love this!

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - brovol - 09-01-2015 09:12 AM

(08-31-2015 11:49 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  Move the chains managing the clock keeping Sparty on the field.

Gobaseline is always thoughtful, frequently genius, and the most underrated poster ever.

I would add though that possession passes are important too. We should take a few wild chances on offense and defense here or there. But stay in control of ourselves.

....and if we can get away with it, cheat. LOL.

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - ColinApocalypse - 09-01-2015 10:35 AM

Right on the money, GBL.

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - anthonybronco - 09-01-2015 10:40 AM

Another key will be fatigue.

Looks like it's gonna be hot and humid... the kind of day like when we were at Michigan a few years ago, and a few band members were overcome by the heat.

It will be a beautiful day... but the Broncos will have to conserve that energy.

Both sides are gonna be super amped -- our side even more since we're on the cusp of making history in the biggest game "ever" at Waldo.

Bronco fans will be needed in the 3rd and 4th quarters if it's close.

That extra energy will come directly from the stands!!

That energy might be the extra punch the Broncos need to punch Sparty in the mouth!

WE ARE WESTERN!!

ONWARD FOR THE BROWN AND GOLD!

BEAT SPARTY!!!

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - gobaseline - 09-01-2015 10:41 AM

Simply using logic. No acumen based on experience.

Per an article D Drew wrote it got me thinking.

WMU's strength is it's OL. It creates opportunities for the RB's and Zach. Like a boxer you cant go away from your strength and not expect to wake up in the locker room after the fight.

But if your strength could be negated by the opposition you need to be smart about it. Not sure anything I wrote would qualify.

There are only two scenarios that can play out for MSU's approach. Either they take WMU seriously and try to end it early or wear out WMU as time passes. Either D'Antonio will put the full press on because he doesn't want to get into the "later rounds" and risk a Buster Douglas or he is confident that MSU will eventually expose WMU in due time and win and do so convincingly. That in mind, using his roster to determine who, what, how and when is not an illogical approach. He'll need and want depth available throughout the season. There is no reason to not probe around some and find out how his team will respond if the belief is in the end they will still win convincingly.

WMU can't read the false positive of the probing as who or what Sparty actually is. WMU needs to be WMU and from the get go. No horsing around, literally. The game wont be won or lost in Q1. But a tone will be set. That tone, like a diving board will either give you the bounce needed or regardless of how you approach it will not respond in kind to your urgent and frequent attempts.

WMU's success starts up front. They are the dog. It then is up to the tail to wag effectively. If Zach, the RB's and the receivers can be both efficient and at times opportunistic the pressure reverts to MSU. They can handle it. But timing is everything. Depending on the type of pressure they sense it may not be what is expected on opening day.

I'm not ignoring WMU D or MSU O. But by moving the chains and managing the clock and field position WMU's strength stays on the field and it's D doesn't. WMU's D will have to hold. Even create a TO or two.

Again, Schroeder and Haldeman can be key to the outcome.

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - broncojohnny - 09-01-2015 10:49 AM

This will more than likely be one of the best line we've ever had...Beevers at LT 6'5" 309, Kristof LG 6'3" 320 are both Outland Trophy candidates...Keenoy at C 6'2" 282 Michigan Dream Team member and enrolled in Janurary, Moton RG 6'5" 316, Okorafor RT 6'6" 308 another very talented get for Fleck.....
I think this line can protect Zack better than some of our less optimistic Bronco's believe...

Go Bronco's

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - ColinApocalypse - 09-01-2015 11:07 AM

Like I've said before, I want Zach to take a few shots early. Send Davis or even Carrington streaking down the field early. MSU has a new D coordinator and a young and inexperienced secondary. If we can score quickly, it would be huge. Even if we don't score, it will keep the D honest and we'll be able to make a dent with the running game and short passes to Braverman or possibly Bellamy.

We have too many playmakers on offense. We need to get creative and aggressive right out of the gates.

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - JPWMU - 09-01-2015 11:29 AM

(09-01-2015 11:07 AM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  We have too many playmakers on offense. We need to get creative and aggressive right out of the gates.

Can you imagine....we get the ball to start the game, touchback, Terrell lines up in the shotgun, Franklin helps out against Calhoun, pump fake to Braverman on a short crossing route, Davis comes free on a deep post, Terrell hits him in stride about 25 yds downfield, Davis makes the safety look like a fool and runs free to the end zone, slowly pulling away from the corner whom had had previously beaten, touchdown Broncos....03-cloud9

Waldo would be nuts, especially when the defense comes out and forces them 3 and out on the next possession....02-13-banana

What's Todd's percentages on this happening?

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - brovol - 09-01-2015 02:25 PM

To keep MSU honest Terrell should scramble for a few first downs when he sees an opening. He is far from a speed burner, but he is capable of scampering now and then, and is generally responsible with the ball. Draws may be useful here or there too. Few things are more frustrating for a good defense as getting the pressure on the QB, only to give up a first down because the QB is smart enough take what is there instead of forcing the issue. We should also stay in bounds whenever we can. shorten the game.

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - brovol - 09-01-2015 02:32 PM

(09-01-2015 11:07 AM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  Like I've said before, I want Zach to take a few shots early. Send Davis or even Carrington streaking down the field early. MSU has a new D coordinator and a young and inexperienced secondary. If we can score quickly, it would be huge. Even if we don't score, it will keep the D honest and we'll be able to make a dent with the running game and short passes to Braverman or possibly Bellamy.

We have too many playmakers on offense. We need to get creative and aggressive right out of the gates.

I don't disagree, but I kind of suspect that MSU coaches are encouraging the young db's not to let our receivers get past them and to keep the receivers in front of them. if so, I think we should take what they are giving us. 8, 10 yards at a time. Timing patterns.

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - Ubish - 09-01-2015 03:40 PM

(09-01-2015 02:32 PM)brovol Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 11:07 AM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  Like I've said before, I want Zach to take a few shots early. Send Davis or even Carrington streaking down the field early. MSU has a new D coordinator and a young and inexperienced secondary. If we can score quickly, it would be huge. Even if we don't score, it will keep the D honest and we'll be able to make a dent with the running game and short passes to Braverman or possibly Bellamy.

I don't disagree, but I kind of suspect that MSU coaches are encouraging the young db's not to let our receivers get past them and to keep the receivers in front of them. if so, I think we should take what they are giving us. 8, 10 yards at a time. Timing patterns.

I'd be happy with 8-10 yards per, with the occasionally big play due to shifty moves by Braverman or Davis

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - Dirty Ernie - 09-01-2015 05:03 PM

They will get to the pocket, it's just a matter of what we can do in the available time.

Also I expert our running game to be effective. Maybe not spectacular, but effective.

We are a very good team. They are an elite team.

For us though, it is a Big Game, for them it is a tuneup for Oregon. That may influence the game somewhat. This doesn't feel like a play for pay game we are used to. It's more seeing how we stack up at this point in the process. An exciting opportunity.

3 keys and a contrarian call. - Hoekjeness - 09-01-2015 06:16 PM

I completely expect MSU's cover guys to be physical with our receivers at the line of scrimmage. We just have the be ready for it and not get frustrated early on.

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - toddjnsn - 09-01-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:What's Todd's percentages on this happening?

2.5% -- for a pump fake to Braverman, but throwing a deep post to Davis for a TD, on the first offensive play of the game.
5% -- that happens but not on the 1st play of the game

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - Hiller4Hyz09 - 09-01-2015 08:00 PM

ESPNU NOW to relive appy state over scum

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - Hiller4Hyz09 - 09-01-2015 08:15 PM

Annnnd then they said the #1 moment of the offseason belonged to WMU and Sweeney's scholy. Great exposure. Our U is being marketed like never before.

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - Ubish - 09-01-2015 08:46 PM

(09-01-2015 08:00 PM)Hiller4Hyz09 Wrote:  ESPNU NOW to relive appy state over scum

that was the best 04-rock

RE: 3 keys and a contrarian call. - gobaseline - 09-01-2015 08:46 PM

(09-01-2015 08:15 PM)Hiller4Hyz09 Wrote:  Annnnd then they said the #1 moment of the offseason belonged to WMU and Sweeney's scholy. Great exposure. Our U is being marketed like never before.

Sham WoW!