CSNbbs
Ely's Comeback - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Toledo (/forum-479.html)
+----- Thread: Ely's Comeback (/thread-746256.html)

Pages: 1 2

Ely's Comeback - SylvaniaRocket - 08-26-2015 09:52 AM

http://independentcollegian.com/2015/08/25/sports/elys-comeback/

RE: Ely's Comeback - Boca Rocket - 08-26-2015 10:48 AM

Ely's got it upstairs and in his heart.

RE: Ely's Comeback - Toledo Football 1st - 08-26-2015 11:00 AM

I imagine the Stony Brooke game will be one of those games where both QB's alternate quarters, or something of that nature.

The intriguing question is, "Who will start?" It doesn't much matter, so I say let the opening coin toss determine it, that way they will both be ready to start. 03-wink

RE: Ely's Comeback - FrickerRon - 08-27-2015 11:14 AM

(08-26-2015 11:00 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  I imagine the Stony Brooke game will be one of those games where both QB's alternate quarters, or something of that nature.

The intriguing question is, "Who will start?" It doesn't much matter, so I say let the opening coin toss determine it, that way they will both be ready to start. 03-wink

The coaches don't even know who will start, the decision probably will be made by next monday. It's a win win for the team.

RE: Ely's Comeback - rockytop - 08-27-2015 01:30 PM

Personally, I am pulling for Ely. Woodside is a good QB, but Ely is potentially a great one.

RE: Ely's Comeback - TampaRocket - 08-27-2015 05:23 PM

(08-27-2015 01:30 PM)rockytop Wrote:  Personally, I am pulling for Ely. Woodside is a good QB, but Ely is potentially a great one.

I'm with you!

RE: Ely's Comeback - UofToledoFans - 08-27-2015 05:32 PM

Both are great men with high ceilings. Both can take us to the top. Rocket fans should hold on because this team is going to go places.

RE: Ely's Comeback - IamN2daRockets - 08-27-2015 07:12 PM

The NCAA must make a ruling ASAP about Ely's eligibility status. I would think that this decision must be made by Sept. 2. I hope he gets granted Jr eligibility.

Has this happened yet???

RE: Ely's Comeback - rocketpaul - 08-27-2015 08:56 PM

Personally I hope he plays sparingly against Stony Brook maybe not at all. I am not sure it is worth the risk. If things go well I would play him only the first quarter Woodside the second quarterand Julian maybe the rest of the game.

RE: Ely's Comeback - T4C8 - 08-27-2015 08:57 PM

(08-27-2015 08:56 PM)rocketpaul Wrote:  Personally I hope he plays sparingly against Stony Brook maybe not at all. I am not sure it is worth the risk. If things go well I would play him only the first quarter Woodside the second quarterand Julian maybe the rest of the game.

I wouldnt waste any playing time on Julian. I dont think he will ever be our quarterback. Maybe 'waste' is a bad word there, but ya know what I mean.

RE: Ely's Comeback - AquaRocket - 08-28-2015 10:49 AM

(08-27-2015 08:57 PM)T4C8 Wrote:  
(08-27-2015 08:56 PM)rocketpaul Wrote:  Personally I hope he plays sparingly against Stony Brook maybe not at all. I am not sure it is worth the risk. If things go well I would play him only the first quarter Woodside the second quarterand Julian maybe the rest of the game.

I wouldnt waste any playing time on Julian. I dont think he will ever be out quarterback. Maybe 'waste' is a bad word there, but ya know what I mean.
I couldn't agree more. He looked like a fish out of water when he had opportunities last year... i.e. NIU.

RE: Ely's Comeback - PTLROCK - 08-28-2015 11:39 AM

You are assuming this is a well oiled machine and all will be ready for high caliber performance. I hope so too, but I doubt it. Ely did not get into rhythm until the 2nd quarter against NH last year. Assuming Toledo is not playing from behind again, the number one unit should get a lot of reps. I would also like Woodside to play, but after Ely is well in rhythm if he is indeed the #1 QB.

RE: Ely's Comeback - MotoRocket - 08-28-2015 06:22 PM

I would like Ely to be the top guy and have a great season and redshirt Woodside so we have 2 years left with him. Have to remember, last year he was like a redshirt freshman+ He got a lot of playing time as a true frosh, but could likely benefit from more training and learning the position. Heard he came in bigger, stronger and faster this year. He certainly has the guts for the game.

RE: Ely's Comeback - northcoastRocket - 08-28-2015 06:45 PM

Can't see a reason why they would want to redshirt Woodside. Lesson from last season should be fresh that we could need 3 or 4 QBs during any given season. We've got 6 on the roster, so that should be plenty, but still.

IMO, Woodside was a very solid QB last year. He won all the games he was supposed to and had good stats in the two losses to ISU & Cinci. Had very respectable stats, despite playing a couple games in horrid weather. Had a 19 / 8 TD to 8 INT ratio. Coaches say he is stronger, fitter and better this year, so I am very comfortable with him as the starter.

Ely has tremendous potential, but he still has barely thrown 70 passes in his college career. So I really don't know how he will pan out over a complete season. If he beats out Woodside, all the better, but if not Woodisde should be fine, especially if Kareem has the season that we all think he can, and so we don't need to throw the ball all over the field.

RE: Ely's Comeback - Toledo Football 1st - 08-28-2015 08:14 PM

May the best man be #1. We're really fortunate to have two quarterbacks who should be able to win games. Honestly, I think we're going to need them both. To think the #1 will never have to sit out is probably wishful thinking. At least when it happens the offense won't miss a beat. I hope we also have a #3 option that can at least come in and run the offense with some level of effectiveness. I mean, we have 6 QB's on the roster, at least at the moment.

RE: Ely's Comeback - Toledo Football 1st - 08-31-2015 10:47 AM

Nick Piotrowicz‏@NickPiotrowicz 2h2 hours ago [8/31]
Phillip Ely will start at QB against Stony Brook, says Mr. Matt Campbell.

More in today's news (8/31)

Nick Piotrowicz ‏@NickPiotrowicz
The biggest surprise on the two-deep: true freshman kicker Jameson Vest is getting the nod at K.

Nick Piotrowicz ‏@NickPiotrowicz 50m50 minutes ago
Two-deep also has Paul Perschon starting at LG over Nate Jeppesen.

Nick Piotrowicz ‏@NickPiotrowicz 52m52 minutes ago
New Toledo 2-deep has Terry Swanson starting at RB in place of the suspended Kareem Hunt.

Full updated 2 DEEP

RE: Ely's Comeback - RangerRocket - 08-31-2015 10:52 AM

(08-31-2015 10:47 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  Nick Piotrowicz‏@NickPiotrowicz 2h2 hours ago [8/31]

The biggest surprise on the two-deep: true freshman kicker Jameson Vest is getting the nod at K.

New Toledo 2-deep has Terry Swanson starting at RB in place of the suspended Kareem Hunt.

Thanks for the updates!!!

RE: Ely's Comeback - Rocket79 - 08-31-2015 11:16 AM

(08-31-2015 10:52 AM)RangerRocket Wrote:  
(08-31-2015 10:47 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  Nick Piotrowicz‏@NickPiotrowicz 2h2 hours ago [8/31]

Glad Ely is doing well, nice kid. Kicker position is scary, we should be taking one every 3 yrs, that way they have a year to transition to kicking off the grass and the speed. I hope I am wrong, but feel it could be our weak area

RE: Ely's Comeback - eastisbest - 08-31-2015 11:38 AM

(08-31-2015 11:16 AM)Rocket79 Wrote:  Glad Ely is doing well, nice kid. Kicker position is scary, we should be taking one every 3 yrs, that way they have a year to transition to kicking off the grass and the speed. I hope I am wrong, but feel it could be our weak area

Makes sense. If a mid-major is going to catch-up they have to do something differently that the power conf teams. Adding an additional kick/punter, one on scholarship, one in the pipeline (the dark side), seems a plan.

RE: Ely's Comeback - Boca Rocket - 08-31-2015 11:39 AM

(08-31-2015 11:16 AM)Rocket79 Wrote:  
(08-31-2015 10:52 AM)RangerRocket Wrote:  

Glad Ely is doing well, nice kid. Kicker position is scary, we should be taking one every 3 yrs, that way they have a year to transition to kicking off the grass and the speed. I hope I am wrong, but feel it could be our weak area

Look at his video. Jameson's popping 60 yd'er after 60 yd'er off the ground.It's like a golf swing. The guy is a QB, can pass, run the fb, and strong enough to bench around 350 lbs. Rockets will be fine.