CSNbbs
Just saw Undefeated - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Just saw Undefeated (/thread-738883.html)

Pages: 1 2

Just saw Undefeated - mullinsworld - 05-29-2015 06:26 PM

I was looking around for something to watch a few nights ago. Decided to watch Undefeated not knowing it was about Mannassas football.

My impressions where mixed. Loved the coach and that it shows the true state of HS football in the city but still I can't help but notice how unpridefull the residents where of where they lived.

I have been in other impoverished neighborhoods and that was one of the most trashed. What do you think about the movie and my observations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Just saw Undefeated - tigerpride96 - 05-29-2015 06:35 PM

NTR

RE: Just saw Undefeated - OneShiningMoment - 05-29-2015 08:33 PM

Manassas High's mascot is the tigers so you can say it's Tigers related

Plus they use the University of Memphis logo or some type of variation of it on their helmets

RE: Just saw Undefeated - 83msu - 05-29-2015 10:40 PM

I thought it was a wonderful documentary (won an academy award). Made me laugh/made me cry. Having been a public health nurse whose districts included Foote Homes and Florida Street and other poverty stricken areas, I was not shocked by what I saw on film.

RE: Just saw Undefeated - Latilleon - 05-29-2015 11:28 PM

(05-29-2015 06:26 PM)mullinsworld Wrote:  I was looking around for something to watch a few nights ago. Decided to watch Undefeated not knowing it was about Mannassas football.

My impressions where mixed. Loved the coach and that it shows the true state of HS football in the city but still I can't help but notice how unpridefull the residents where of where they lived.

I have been in other impoverished neighborhoods and that was one of the most trashed. What do you think about the movie and my observations?

I'm from that area.

The school is new. The area has been losing population forever. Never recovered from the loss of Firestone in 1983 and Harvester in 1981. People that once would have lived in that area are in Frayser and Raleigh.

RE: Just saw Undefeated - Tiger Greg - 05-30-2015 12:05 AM

First of all, learn how to spell.
Secondly, learn a little humility.

RE: Just saw Undefeated - huddlha - 05-30-2015 01:16 AM

Pretty great documentary.

RE: Just saw Undefeated - 72Tiger - 05-30-2015 10:04 AM

I enjoyed it. As far as community pride, the film probably emphasized the lack of it a lot to build the backdrop of the story. The whole thing hinges on overcoming the odds

RE: Just saw Undefeated - cotton1991 - 05-30-2015 12:23 PM

(05-29-2015 11:28 PM)Latilleon Wrote:  
(05-29-2015 06:26 PM)mullinsworld Wrote:  I was looking around for something to watch a few nights ago. Decided to watch Undefeated not knowing it was about Mannassas football.

Yep. I'd say the people that lived in that neighborhood probably had more concern and pride in it than Firestone and Harvester.
I'm from that area.

The school is new. The area has been losing population forever. Never recovered from the loss of Firestone in 1983 and Harvester in 1981. People that once would have lived in that area are in Frayser and Raleigh.

RE: Just saw Undefeated - Chi-Town - 05-30-2015 01:10 PM

(05-30-2015 12:05 AM)Tiger Greg Wrote:  First of all, learn how to spell.

Thirdly, learn how to quote who you are responding to.

RE: Just saw Undefeated - DoomHaynesJr - 05-30-2015 03:46 PM

(05-30-2015 01:10 PM)Chi-Town Wrote:  
(05-30-2015 12:05 AM)Tiger Greg Wrote:  First of all, learn how to spell.

Thirdly, learn how to quote who you are responding to.

Fourthly, learn a little nihility

RE: Just saw Undefeated - Dynamos - 05-30-2015 03:56 PM

Why would someone be proud of living in a poverty stricken neighborhood?

RE: Just saw Undefeated - HometownTiger - 05-30-2015 04:11 PM

GREAT doc. Highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

RE: Just saw Undefeated - TigerSeth - 05-30-2015 05:42 PM

Great doc

Terrible take on it by you.

RE: Just saw Undefeated - Mimi - 05-30-2015 06:22 PM

(05-30-2015 03:56 PM)Dynamos Wrote:  Why would someone be proud of living in a poverty stricken neighborhood?

Phail.

While it was a cute and somewhat mean spirited little barb you left there, the idea of pride is in what you do even faced with the odds of living in an impoverished area. Would suggest any comments about what and why be posted on the politics board, as it seems that is where you wanted to head.

RE: Just saw Undefeated - Dynamos - 05-30-2015 08:07 PM

(05-30-2015 06:22 PM)Mimi Wrote:  
(05-30-2015 03:56 PM)Dynamos Wrote:  Why would someone be proud of living in a poverty stricken neighborhood?

Phail.

While it was a cute and somewhat mean spirited little barb you left there, the idea of pride is in what you do even faced with the odds of living in an impoverished area. Would suggest any comments about what and why be posted on the politics board, as it seems that is where you wanted to head.

You're missing my point. I'm not saying that a person living in poverty shouldn't have pride in oneself or strive for the best and make the best of what they have but expecting them to be prideful of a bad situation or circumstance is silly. Should someone in an old raggedy car be prideful of their crappy car? Should a homeless person be proud of being homeless?

Just saw Undefeated - mullinsworld - 05-30-2015 09:28 PM

That's not what I meant having enough pride in yourself not your poverty although I have met people who do have pride in their poor situation.

RE: Just saw Undefeated - Tigerx3 - 05-30-2015 09:52 PM

Seems like some of our number could benefit from some volunteer work in depressed communities. The concept of home and community even in extreme conditions creates some of our strongest bonds.

RE: Just saw Undefeated - Latilleon - 05-30-2015 10:18 PM

I'm proud of where I'm from. I would have gone to Manassas in junior high had I not been in the Optional program.

RE: Just saw Undefeated - Mimi - 05-30-2015 10:42 PM

(05-30-2015 09:52 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  Seems like some of our number could benefit from some volunteer work in depressed communities. The concept of home and community even in extreme conditions creates some of our strongest bonds.

They would rather pretend to be making a larger point...but being certain to throw in pleasant adjectives like crappy.

Even if used in a mock analogy about a car...the real meaning behind it is simply a shot. A somewhat shameful shot at that.