CSNbbs
Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB (/thread-738148.html)

Pages: 1 2

Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - BamaScorpio69 - 05-21-2015 05:35 PM

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/05/uab_football_first_step_in_hid.html

Excerpt:

At 10:20 am on Dec. 1, 2014, I received a message about what was really going on at UAB. It said, in part:"The hidden agenda is to focus UAB as medical school only, UAH as math and science only ... (board of trustees) presidents have pushed this agenda ... Deep pockets of trustees allow them to buy whatever they want."

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - techdawg88 - 05-21-2015 05:40 PM

Lynn Scarbrough with Lindy's Magazine said that he doesn't believe UAB football is coming back

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - SApuro - 05-21-2015 05:46 PM

This is all such BS.

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - monarchman - 05-21-2015 05:51 PM

The level of filth in Alabama politics is distributing. Is the ENTIRE state government in on this??? The lack of oversight of this Board is unbelievable.

Let's hope the Birmingham News continues bringing all of this to light.

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - BamaScorpio69 - 05-21-2015 06:30 PM

(05-21-2015 05:40 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  Lynn Scarbrough with Lindy's Magazine said that he doesn't believe UAB football is coming back

Everyone has an opinion. Scott Griffin with Fox 6 Bham says his sources tell him it will comeback.

Until I hear Watts say one way or the other, it really doesn't matter what anyone says because it's just opinions as far as I am concerned.

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - banker - 05-21-2015 06:39 PM

Isn't this what the UAB folks were saying back when this all started?

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - PirateTreasureNC - 05-21-2015 06:48 PM

(05-21-2015 05:35 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/05/uab_football_first_step_in_hid.html

Excerpt:

At 10:20 am on Dec. 1, 2014, I received a message about what was really going on at UAB. It said, in part:"The hidden agenda is to focus UAB as medical school only, UAH as math and science only ... (board of trustees) presidents have pushed this agenda ... Deep pockets of trustees allow them to buy whatever they want."

04-jawdrop

How does this even happen un-reported for so long. I'd feel pretty sure some fiscal responsibility would come up somewhere down the line in regards to what is going on...

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - paintedblue2 - 05-21-2015 07:12 PM

I would love to see "60 Minutes" take this on. It really does deserve some non-sports, mainstream coverage.

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - RonBurgundy - 05-21-2015 07:32 PM

All this is gonna make for a really good 30 for 30 in another 10 years...

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - PirateTreasureNC - 05-21-2015 07:37 PM

(05-21-2015 07:32 PM)RonBurgundy Wrote:  All this is gonna make for a really good 30 for 30 in another 10 years...

You really think ESPN will do a expose on their SEC darlings?03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - RonBurgundy - 05-21-2015 07:39 PM

(05-21-2015 07:37 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(05-21-2015 07:32 PM)RonBurgundy Wrote:  All this is gonna make for a really good 30 for 30 in another 10 years...

You really think ESPN will do a expose on their SEC darlings?03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

Hey the $EC is only loyal to whoever is throwing them the most cash. Could be Fox Sports or NBC within a decade or two.

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - Smaug - 05-21-2015 09:05 PM

There's a reason why, when someone says "Roll Tide" my ears hear "F*** you."

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - westsidewolf1989 - 05-21-2015 11:29 PM

Killing football is one thing, but damn, Watts himself went to UAB as an undergrad. He owes the base of his higher education to this institution and now he wants to kill the undergrad portion of it? Someone needs to do something about this guy.

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - arkstfan - 05-21-2015 11:45 PM

(05-21-2015 11:29 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  Killing football is one thing, but damn, Watts himself went to UAB as an undergrad. He owes the base of his higher education to this institution and now he wants to kill the undergrad portion of it? Someone needs to do something about this guy.

I can understand the not caring about athletics, he graduated before UAB added athletics but killing undergrad, yeah that's baffling. Maybe when his book comes out he will say that killing football was the bargain he made to save the undergrad programs.

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - FlyHawk98 - 05-22-2015 07:11 AM

I will NEVER cheer for Alabama in anything ever again.

Everyone should make it a point to boycott all things UAT.

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - paintedblue2 - 05-22-2015 08:46 AM

(05-21-2015 09:05 PM)Smaug Wrote:  There's a reason why, when someone says "Roll Tide" my ears hear "F*** you."

I live in Virginia, so it doesn't happen as often here, but whenever I see a bumper sticker, etc. with the "scarlet letter" emblazoned on it I can't help but utter the very same phrase.

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - BeliefBlazer - 05-22-2015 09:03 AM

UA Trustees said years ago UAB & UAH only exist to keep strong, independent institutions from rising in these cities. Institutions that might compete with Alabama for state funding and power.

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - uab278 - 05-22-2015 10:34 AM

(05-21-2015 11:45 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(05-21-2015 11:29 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  Killing football is one thing, but damn, Watts himself went to UAB as an undergrad. He owes the base of his higher education to this institution and now he wants to kill the undergrad portion of it? Someone needs to do something about this guy.

I can understand the not caring about athletics, he graduated before UAB added athletics but killing undergrad, yeah that's baffling. Maybe when his book comes out he will say that killing football was the bargain he made to save the undergrad programs.

He attended when it was just a small campus. The guy is not a UAB guy. Most of his career was spent elsewhere. Went to Washington U for Med School, then to the NIH, and then back to UAB. He should never had been president. The med school suffered under his leadership and look at what is happening now.

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - arkstfan - 05-22-2015 12:14 PM

The story about the number of out-of-state freshmen reminded me of the fairly recent rant by Saban and the threats to revoke some seats from the student allotment because they weren't coming and weren't staying. Well if half your students didn't grow up in the Red Elephant Cult of course they don't consider it their duty and blessing to attend games and stay kickoff to final horn.

RE: Al.com - Football first step in hidden agenda to crush undergrad programs at UAB - BamaScorpio69 - 05-22-2015 01:22 PM

(05-22-2015 09:03 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  UA Trustees said years ago UAB & UAH only exist to keep strong, independent institutions from rising in these cities. Institutions that might compete with Alabama for state funding and power.

And this is it in a nutshell.