CSNbbs
CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online (/thread-737822.html)

Pages: 1 2

CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - blazerjay - 05-18-2015 11:32 AM

The full report was released to the public this morning and can be seen/reviewed at this link:

http://ftpcontent4.worldnow.com/wbrc/PDF/UABFinalReport.pdf

Media Reports:
WVTM - NBC13 - Birmingham
http://www.wvtm13.com/news/uab-task-force-releases-css-viability-study-on-football/33081516

WBRC-FOX6 - Birmingham
http://www.myfoxal.com/story/29092096/report-on-uab-athletics-released-decision-from-watts-about-football-team-expected-by-june-1

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - msm96wolf - 05-18-2015 11:58 AM

After reading the Exec Summary, I felt the slant was toward UAB to bring back the programs. Only thing it basically stated either decision is viable and UAB need to decide where to drive it's program. It just felt like to much wiggle room is being given to Watts and the UA BOT to say the decision is to go for a basketball school school power instead of having both football and basketball. Which after reading summary would be the WRONG decision to make. Hoping UAB gets the correct decision.

CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - BeliefBlazer - 05-18-2015 12:08 PM

Reason for optimism but Ray is still Ray.

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - airtroop - 05-18-2015 01:41 PM

This ain't going away after June 1st... UAB will have football again. Eventually.

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - SATXBOSSMAN - 05-18-2015 01:56 PM

(05-18-2015 11:58 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  After reading the Exec Summary, I felt the slant was toward UAB to bring back the programs. Only thing it basically stated either decision is viable and UAB need to decide where to drive it's program. It just felt like to much wiggle room is being given to Watts and the UA BOT to say the decision is to go for a basketball school school power instead of having both football and basketball. Which after reading summary would be the WRONG decision to make. Hoping UAB gets the correct decision.

JMO, but this is how most people that aren't affiliated with UAB will probably look at this report. It doesn't say that moving forward without football is not viable and that's not good when talking bout Ray Ray and his friends(BOT).

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - TOPSTRAIGHT - 05-18-2015 01:57 PM

I read most of the report and skimmed the rest-here are some thoughts:

-the report is VERY positive overall toward returning football

-very detailed and comprehensive with facts and figures ignored in the Carr report

-does provide an "out" for Watts although the report casts more doubts about basketball only

-concludes outside $support would be required and need to be sustained long term

-appears to have consulted with Banowsky quite a bit

I encourage those interested to read or at least skim the report.

If Watts wants to bring football back he could use this as reasoning and try to make the Carr report the scapegoat.

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - ThreeifbyLightning - 05-18-2015 02:21 PM

(05-18-2015 01:57 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  I read most of the report and skimmed the rest-here are some thoughts:

-the report is VERY positive overall toward returning football

-very detailed and comprehensive with facts and figures ignored in the Carr report

-does provide an "out" for Watts although the report casts more doubts about basketball only

-concludes outside $support would be required and need to be sustained long term

-appears to have consulted with Banowsky quite a bit

I encourage those interested to read or at least skim the report.

If Watts wants to bring football back he could use this as reasoning and try to make the Carr report the scapegoat.

Most of you appear to be missing the key point. These reports mean nothing, because the will of the Alabama BOT led by mostly Crimson supporters is to be served at all costs.

Watts will announce that - at the end of the day - all of these reports come to the same conclusion that the university must make the best decision in its own interest and that decision as announced last year was to cancel these sports and to move the university forward in a "new" direction. That's what the Bama Board wants and he is there only to conduct the bidding of his master.

Once the announcement is made to stand behind his decision, the Alabama BOT will then hold a press conference in a couple of weeks to announce the mishandling of the situation has led to Mr. Watt's removal which will further harden the decision. At that time they will then hire a new puppet to ensure there are no further debates on the matter.

I'm sorry UAB fans, but you can't put the genie back in the bottle. Reinstating was never an option know matter how many studies were conducted. The decisions have been pre-ordained.

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - Smaug - 05-18-2015 02:42 PM

We'll see.

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - TOPSTRAIGHT - 05-18-2015 02:48 PM

I DO realize the main point is that the BOT is the BOSS-just giving my opinions about the study.

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - ICB - 05-18-2015 02:50 PM

Watts harped on the fact that the decision was about the money and in the report both the Board of Trustees and the president stated that if a sound financial plan was presented, they would favor bringing it back. They may not want to bring it back, but the political ramifications pending in the state legislature may force their hands. There are still a few powerful legislators who think it can be worked out without legislation, if he fails to bring it back after this report, those legislators are mostly likely to back the pending #freeUAB legislation.

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - ATTALLABLAZE - 05-18-2015 03:33 PM

A deal may have been cut with the BOT. We shall see.

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - Afflicted - 05-18-2015 04:40 PM

(05-18-2015 02:50 PM)ICB Wrote:  Watts harped on the fact that the decision was about the money and in the report both the Board of Trustees and the president stated that if a sound financial plan was presented, they would favor bringing it back. They may not want to bring it back, but the political ramifications pending in the state legislature may force their hands. There are still a few powerful legislators who think it can be worked out without legislation, if he fails to bring it back after this report, those legislators are mostly likely to back the pending #freeUAB legislation.

Good post. Very insightful. This may be what it all comes down to, dirty politics.

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - blazerwkr - 05-18-2015 04:44 PM

(05-18-2015 03:33 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  A deal may have been cut with the BOT. We shall see.

It wouldn't surprise me if that has happened after all it took a threat of the legislature acting to get UAT & AU to play again for the good of the state back in the 40's & 50's.

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - ATTALLABLAZE - 05-19-2015 09:06 AM

I think you will see it reinstated and watts will deliver a resignation by Christmas. I think a deal was cut to stop legislation. I also think the boot will be off the throat as the board will know they nearly had total disaster. The board knows that if they say no now that we will get the swing votes for change.

I also think they will allow some facilities now. They are on record as saying they will support football if we have a sound financial plan.

The next fight will be over who the next president will be and we need to make sure he is not a Puppet.

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - Afflicted - 05-19-2015 10:01 AM

(05-19-2015 09:06 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I think you will see it reinstated and watts will deliver a resignation by Christmas. I think a deal was cut to stop legislation. I also think the boot will be off the throat as the board will know they nearly had total disaster. The board knows that if they say no now that we will get the swing votes for change.

I also think they will allow some facilities now. They are on record as saying they will support football if we have a sound financial plan.

The next fight will be over who the next president will be and we need to make sure he is not a Puppet.

The BOT will need to approve anything and everything pertaining to UAB athletics from here on out. They really exposed themselves for who they really are.

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - UABGrad - 05-19-2015 10:05 AM

They are doing somethings out of public view that must be pretty awful to be so scared to have just 2 honest people on that board.

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - ATTALLABLAZE - 05-19-2015 10:47 AM

I assure you they are. I still won't be surprised if after it all dies down and they think they are in the clear the Feds come calling. people don't realize how corrupt this state is.

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - blazerwkr - 05-19-2015 04:31 PM

I think the report when it mentions about UAB being bond free, they were advising the BOT to start spending some bonds on facilities like OCS/IPF. If they heed that advice is another matter

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - UAB Band Dad - 05-20-2015 09:50 AM

The state of Alabama is in a huge budget crunch. It has around $300 million in immediate state budget shortfall, and about $800 million if you include prison reform and Medicare in the numbers. The lege completely refuses to raise taxes, so they are going to have to cut $200m plus from a budget that they've already been cutting for four or five years. The state is functionally bankrupt unless it finds funding sources.

I say all this for perspective regarding the following:

UA has $930m in construction bond debt.

UAB has had zero long term athletic debt for five years, and for two years previous it was about $75k.

RE: CSS Review of UAB Athletics online - Cscollis - 05-21-2015 10:45 AM

Ray Watts will look at only 2 pages of the report and UAB football is dead and not coming back. All you have to look at is the table on page 17 where bringing football back will result in a 20M loss through 2020 compared to page 19 without football the loss is 3M and by 2020 there is actual positive revenue. This is how management thinks (doesn't matter which industry). No management in its right mind would bring back football other than intrinsic value football brings the university. The write up was generally positive to bring it back but the cost is too high and with no positive revenue for the foreseeable future.

Now I would have to question some of the expenses: (cash flow)

On the expense side, why is Academic Financial Aid so high? The 7.6M for tuition for athletes could be reduced to near zero. It does not cost the university near that amount in real dollars unless the athlete is taking a spot of a paying student which he or she is not. This is government accounting at its worst and much worse than ENRON.

All of the other expenses look legit.

On the revenue side, an on campus stadium would generate 1.5M a year while costing considerably more than renting a stadium. Financing costs alone would mean this would have to be a public private partnership. Get the Bham school district involved and use it for HS and College games. That would cut the costs in half.

IMHO the UAB president should have been fired for not doing the due diligence of not only the numbers but the embarrassment this has caused UAB. This could not have been handled worse.

Based on the report alone, I would bet UAB football is dead and will remain dead until a new president with leadership skills has the vision and fortitude to bring it back. Until then, this is how things are done in Obama's America.