CSNbbs
WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years (/thread-734622.html)

WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years - BeliefBlazer - 04-14-2015 08:24 AM

https://wkunews.wordpress.com/2015/04/14/swimming-suspended/

Quote:“Current student-athletes in the program will certainly be allowed to transfer immediately to another institution,” he said. “If they choose to remain a student at WKU, their current scholarship amounts will be honored through their senior years provided they remain in good academic and university standing.”

RE: WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years - WKUFan518 - 04-14-2015 08:29 AM

Wow, swift action taken to say the least...

RE: WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years - stinkfist - 04-14-2015 08:51 AM

no carrots? lmckay92 has to chime in on this one...

COGS

one could also make the argument that this is the 'scapegoat' beginning for the demise of g5 olympic sports....

RE: WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years - Fort Bend Owl - 04-14-2015 09:38 AM

http://wkuherald.com/news/article_fc76353c-de4c-11e4-b878-5bb6c0cc6f7c.html

I don't think was for money reasons. WKU's swim team has been incredibly successful, both in the pool and in the classroom. I guess off-campus, not so much.

RE: WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years - WKUFan518 - 04-14-2015 09:45 AM

(04-14-2015 09:38 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  http://wkuherald.com/news/article_fc76353c-de4c-11e4-b878-5bb6c0cc6f7c.html

I don't think was for money reasons. WKU's swim team has been incredibly successful, both in the pool and in the classroom. I guess off-campus, not so much.

Was not money.... hazing, underage drinking, lack of control, lawsuits, etc...Sounds like the program was turning into more of a frat/sorority party than a swimming team....

Swim parties were legendary when I was going to school at WKU, but not that out of control like described now...

RE: WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years - stinkfist - 04-14-2015 09:59 AM

(04-14-2015 09:45 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  
(04-14-2015 09:38 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  http://wkuherald.com/news/article_fc76353c-de4c-11e4-b878-5bb6c0cc6f7c.html

Was not money.... hazing, underage drinking, lack of control, lawsuits, etc...Sounds like the program was turning into more of a frat/sorority party than a swimming team....

Swim parties were legendary when I was going to school at WKU, but not that out of control like described now...

exactly my point regarding "scapegoat....demise......"

this is nothing new....I'm a golfer.....I know 03-wink 04-cheers04-cheers04-cheers04-rock04-rock

it would scare people today if they knew what we did......

RE: WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years - CajunFanatico - 04-14-2015 10:28 AM

Suspended.03-lmfao

RE: WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years - WKUYG - 04-14-2015 10:30 AM

Well those students (SWIM/DIVE TEAMS) played a big part in helping Western win a basketball game this year @FIU...

https://youtu.be/05-zSwt0VN4

RE: WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years - SVHerd - 04-14-2015 02:11 PM

Maybe we can dangle a carrot in front of them to transfer to Marshall! LOL!

RE: WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years - FAUAEPi - 04-14-2015 02:19 PM

But you know, fraternities and sororities should be eradicated nationwide for their hazing behavior............

RE: WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years - TOPSTRAIGHT - 04-14-2015 02:20 PM

OFF CAMPUS.If athletes had to live in the dorms like they did when I went to WKU these problems would be LESS.

Just my opinion.It may never happen-but it would cut down on the issues.No it would NOT be perfect-just saying it would help.

RE: WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years - ODUsmitty - 04-14-2015 04:04 PM

(04-14-2015 02:19 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  But you know, fraternities and sororities should be eradicated nationwide for their hazing behavior............

I agree. Then you can disband the military, HBCU marching bands, cheerleading squads, NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB baseball teams, and any other group that refreshes its membership regularly with new members.

RE: WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years - stinkfist - 04-14-2015 04:33 PM

(04-14-2015 02:20 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  OFF CAMPUS.If athletes had to live in the dorms like they did when I went to WKU these problems would be LESS.

Just my opinion.It may never happen-but it would cut down on the issues.No it would NOT be perfect-just saying it would help.

there is some truth in that....it's almost like how this board is self-policing at times....definitely promotes camaraderie and accountability within a team structure....however, it really only matters when discussing revenue generating sports (b/c I understand the end result is only about the coin)

however, we are talking about swimming folks that most likely come from cabbage in the pocket so the carrots can fandango....it's just a different animal in my book

this new group still acts like kids that don't understand things like the impact of the all encompassing, all knowing media.....be it social or otherwise...

back in my day, us golfers understood how to operate under the radar.....

RE: WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years - FAUAEPi - 04-14-2015 05:18 PM

(04-14-2015 04:04 PM)ODUsmitty Wrote:  
(04-14-2015 02:19 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  But you know, fraternities and sororities should be eradicated nationwide for their hazing behavior............

I agree. Then you can disband the military, HBCU marching bands, cheerleading squads, NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB baseball teams, and any other group that refreshes its membership regularly with new members.

BINGO. But FWIW, the majority of fraternities & sororities are not like those that have been giving us (fraternity & sorority members) a bad name. Moreover, each university's Greek culture is different from other universities, just like how every school's student life culture is unique to them. Not all Greeks haze, not all Greeks are racist, not all Greeks are sexist, and even more shocking, not all Greeks are rich.

RE: WKU suspends swimming & diving for 5 years - Campaign4Liberty - 04-14-2015 08:55 PM

Sad situation here as the program produced a gold medalist in London I hear? All it takes is one kid with an axe to grind or one that doesn't want to play along with the hazing. Although in this situation it seemed to go way beyond normal "hazing" you would see in any program.