CSNbbs
Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" (/thread-729181.html)

Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - Stallion - 03-03-2015 10:25 PM

I know a lot of prognosticators have been predicting otherwise

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/03/age-is-only-a-number-smus-larry-brown-believes-he-has-a-lot-more-in-the-tank.html/

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - UofMemphis - 03-03-2015 11:43 PM

I figured he'd retire at the end of this season (assuming SMU made the NCAAs) after declaring the turn-around complete, and handing things off to Jankovich...Glad it's looking like I'm wrong, you gotta love Larry.

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - invisiblehand - 03-03-2015 11:48 PM

I don't think it's going to be his choice when he ends up retiring. Health or the NCAA are more likely reasons for ending his tenure. (Not that the NCAA has anything solid to get him for - yet)

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - BigHouston - 03-03-2015 11:50 PM

There you have it boys and girls... Larry Brown isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - BigEastHomer - 03-04-2015 12:03 AM

Thanks for sharing!

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - BigEastHomer - 03-04-2015 12:04 AM

(03-03-2015 11:48 PM)invisiblehand Wrote:  I don't think it's going to be his choice when he ends up retiring. Health or the NCAA are more likely reasons for ending his tenure. (Not that the NCAA has anything solid to get him for - yet)

It sounds like he's feeling pretty good to me.

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - PirateTreasureNC - 03-04-2015 12:08 AM

(03-03-2015 11:50 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  There you have it boys and girls... Larry Brown isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Till he changes his mind

Kansas
Indiana Pacers
San Antonio Spurs
Philadelphia 76rs
LA Clippers
Detroit Pistons
Carolina Cougars
Denver Nuggets
UCLA
New Jersey Nets
New York Knicks
Charlotte Bobcats
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Brown_%28basketball%29

He's been everywhere and done everything....

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - BigEastHomer - 03-04-2015 12:37 AM

(03-04-2015 12:08 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 11:50 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  There you have it boys and girls... Larry Brown isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Till he changes his mind

Kansas
Indiana Pacers
San Antonio Spurs
Philadelphia 76rs
LA Clippers
Detroit Pistons
Carolina Cougars
Denver Nuggets
UCLA
New Jersey Nets
New York Knicks
Charlotte Bobcats

What I see there is a lot of suitors.

Now, show me another list of suitors who are in the market for a 74 year old coach.

IMO, SMU will be Larry Brown's last stop. It sounds like he's thinking about his legacy.

We'll see if I'm wrong.

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - cotton1991 - 03-04-2015 01:28 AM

I think SMU's a nice relaxing place for a coach to spend his final job at. He's got to be revered for turning the program around, and probably doesn't feel too much pressure unlike the pros or a place like Kentucky.

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - UCF08 - 03-04-2015 02:28 AM

O'Leary is in the same boat, and we're lucky he is.

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - goodknightfl - 03-04-2015 08:29 AM

Brown like any older coach, will in the end rise and fall based on others and their own body. He may feel great today, and be on deaths door in 60 days. Yes that can happen at any age, but the odds keep going up with age.

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - b0ndsj0ns - 03-04-2015 09:16 AM

I'm rooting for him to stay as long as possible. It's good for the entire league to have him.

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - PonyUpTempo - 03-04-2015 09:40 AM

(03-03-2015 11:48 PM)invisiblehand Wrote:  I don't think it's going to be his choice when he ends up retiring. Health or the NCAA are more likely reasons for ending his tenure. (Not that the NCAA has anything solid to get him for - yet)

You sound like Pat Forde

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - invisiblehand - 03-04-2015 09:58 AM

(03-04-2015 09:40 AM)PonyUpTempo Wrote:  

You sound like Pat Forde

Maybe I am Pat Forde. No better disguise than being a Tulsa fan.

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - BigEastHomer - 03-04-2015 10:15 AM

Fortunately for Brown, he has a very capable staff around him that don't need a micromanager.
Brown seems to have a good even-keel approach, preferring practice to the actual games. He's not a hot head. Most of the coaches that have health issues aren't so affable.
He'll be around as long as he wants... and, from the sound of it, he's having the time of his life.

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - 3rdgenerationtiger - 03-07-2015 01:17 AM

(03-04-2015 02:28 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  O'Leary is in the same boat, and we're lucky he is.

You never know. George may decide to leave and finish up his master's work at NYU-Stony Brook.

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - robertfoshizzle - 03-07-2015 02:03 AM

I hope he doesn't leave anytime soon -- at least until the program is ready to sustain success under a new coach, a la UConn.

RE: Larry Brown: "I still got a Lot more in the Tank" - johnbragg - 03-07-2015 07:24 AM

(03-04-2015 12:08 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

Till he changes his mind

Kansas
Indiana Pacers
San Antonio Spurs
Philadelphia 76rs
LA Clippers
Detroit Pistons
Carolina Cougars
Denver Nuggets
UCLA
New Jersey Nets
New York Knicks
Charlotte Bobcats

This time IS a little different, though. Most of those moves, he was bolting to somewhere where the grass was greener. He doesn't really have that option anymore. The NBA isn't hiring him, barring some weird set of circumstances where someone wants a top-level short-term coach. College programs further up the food chain aren't calling, because they want someone who at least might be there long term.

I"d say SMU is the last stop for Next Town Brown.