CSNbbs
APP State's new AD - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: APP State's new AD (/thread-728818.html)

Pages: 1 2

APP State's new AD - Dman - 03-01-2015 08:09 AM

http://blowingrocknews.com/gillin/

RE: APP State's new AD - moehler - 03-01-2015 11:58 AM

it was very impressive press conference, he really came across as a very professional AD, who has a lot of new ideas to grow the brand. All you need to know about Gillin is his former boss, the Missouri AD, with 2 of his top assistants, were at the press conference, they paid for the trip with their own money, and sacrificed their personal time to show their support for them. Its way to early to judge whether he will be good, bad, or average, but atleast on paper, at this moment, he looks like a great hire.

RE: APP State's new AD - USAJag2011 - 03-01-2015 12:01 PM

Missouri's AD is a class act, and an exceptional AD. If Gillin learned a lot from him, you have yourself a great hire.

RE: APP State's new AD - Saint3333 - 03-01-2015 12:44 PM

Is it true GA St. hired Cobb over Gillin?

I'm impressed with his presence and professionalism, looking forward to seeing his vision in the coming months.

RE: APP State's new AD - moehler - 03-01-2015 01:05 PM

unlike a lot of App fans, I never had a problem with Charlie, I think he did a great job the first 4 years, but I think he ran out of ideas the last couple of years, and was no longer committed to moving the program forward, but instead had settled in to just maintaining the status quo. I think he was a good hire for GS, Charlie needed a fresh start, and GS needed a quality AD. I think this is one of those times where everything works out well for all the parties involved.

RE: APP State's new AD - trapdrawApp - 03-01-2015 02:11 PM

(03-01-2015 12:01 PM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  Missouri's AD is a class act, and an exceptional AD. If Gillin learned a lot from him, you have yourself a great hire.

Indeed. The Mizzou AD and 3 other associates of Gillen came to Boone for Fridays press conference.

RE: APP State's new AD - AppManDG - 03-01-2015 04:00 PM

(03-01-2015 01:05 PM)moehler Wrote:  unlike a lot of App fans, I never had a problem with Charlie, I think he did a great job the first 4 years, but I think he ran out of ideas the last couple of years, and was no longer committed to moving the program forward, but instead had settled in to just maintaining the status quo. I think he was a good hire for GS, Charlie needed a fresh start, and GS needed a quality AD. I think this is one of those times where everything works out well for all the parties involved.

Charlie did run out of ideas after four years, but the reason is because the NC's stopped after 2007. The only thing Charlie actually did after taking the job in July 2005 was to bring App - budget wise - up to where we should have been all along. Anyone following Laney would have looked like a genius. Chancellor Peacock gave him the dollars to increase budgets so our teams could afford better equipment and uniforms, stay in nice hotels, eat good meals and more money to recruit. A lot of people give Cobb credit for changing KO times to 3:30 and putting an emphasis on tailgating. Those ideas actually came from from meeting with alumni groups around the state. I suppose at least he should be given credit for listening to them. ESPN had as much, if not more, to do with the later KO times. Starting games at 3:30 made our games available for ESPN's second TV slot. As far as the increase in fundraising goes Cobb & Beasley had little impact. Yosef Club levels increased a bit after the first year, saw a nice jump after the second NC, but exploded after the Michigan win and 3rd NC. If anyone should be credited with the increase in Yosef and those new facilities it is Armanti Edwards and those other players. In essence they wrote the checks. All Cobb & Beasley did was cash them.

I'll give Charlie credit for one thing. Overspending on athletic facilities and putting App in a bad financial hole. App could have gotten much more and spent far less had Charlie backed off and come up with a plan instead of being reactive. We will have to tear down much of what was built in order to improve on what we have now.

RE: APP State's new AD - moehler - 03-01-2015 07:08 PM

wow, how do you really feel about Charlie, and the state of the athletic dept, please, don't hold back!!

RE: APP State's new AD - AppManDG - 03-01-2015 10:47 PM

(03-01-2015 07:08 PM)moehler Wrote:  wow, how do you really feel about Charlie, and the state of the athletic dept, please, don't hold back!!

It's not how I feel, its the truth.

RE: APP State's new AD - GoAppsGo92 - 03-02-2015 07:48 AM

(03-01-2015 10:47 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 07:08 PM)moehler Wrote:  wow, how do you really feel about Charlie, and the state of the athletic dept, please, don't hold back!!

It's not how I feel, its the truth.

It's how you feel. We are not in a "bad financial hole". That's hyperbole.

RE: APP State's new AD - arkstfan - 03-02-2015 10:54 AM

Great resume across a broad spectrum of areas. Nice hire!

RE: APP State's new AD - Georgia_Power_Company - 03-02-2015 11:06 AM

Yes - good hire Apps!

RE: APP State's new AD - CrimsonPhantom - 03-02-2015 12:21 PM

Good hire App State!

NMSU's New AD also comes from the Mike Alden AD Tree. They both shared an office at UNM. App State should be in for a good time.

RE: APP State's new AD - APPrising - 03-02-2015 01:14 PM

(03-01-2015 04:00 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 01:05 PM)moehler Wrote:  unlike a lot of App fans, I never had a problem with Charlie, I think he did a great job the first 4 years, but I think he ran out of ideas the last couple of years, and was no longer committed to moving the program forward, but instead had settled in to just maintaining the status quo. I think he was a good hire for GS, Charlie needed a fresh start, and GS needed a quality AD. I think this is one of those times where everything works out well for all the parties involved.

Charlie did run out of ideas after four years, but the reason is because the NC's stopped after 2007. The only thing Charlie actually did after taking the job in July 2005 was to bring App - budget wise - up to where we should have been all along. Anyone following Laney would have looked like a genius. Chancellor Peacock gave him the dollars to increase budgets so our teams could afford better equipment and uniforms, stay in nice hotels, eat good meals and more money to recruit. A lot of people give Cobb credit for changing KO times to 3:30 and putting an emphasis on tailgating. Those ideas actually came from from meeting with alumni groups around the state. I suppose at least he should be given credit for listening to them. ESPN had as much, if not more, to do with the later KO times. Starting games at 3:30 made our games available for ESPN's second TV slot. As far as the increase in fundraising goes Cobb & Beasley had little impact. Yosef Club levels increased a bit after the first year, saw a nice jump after the second NC, but exploded after the Michigan win and 3rd NC. If anyone should be credited with the increase in Yosef and those new facilities it is Armanti Edwards and those other players. In essence they wrote the checks. All Cobb & Beasley did was cash them.

I'll give Charlie credit for one thing. Overspending on athletic facilities and putting App in a bad financial hole. App could have gotten much more and spent far less had Charlie backed off and come up with a plan instead of being reactive. We will have to tear down much of what was built in order to improve on what we have now.

What about the great Capel hire? You should give him credit for that also. As a result of the Capel hire, we are currently penalized for APR issues, so you can give him credit for that, too.

RE: APP State's new AD - moehler - 03-02-2015 01:42 PM

your right, the Capels hire was a big mistake, but to be fair, rumor was Capels wasn't solely Charlie's decision, supposedly, a big donor with alot of pull in the school, put pressure on Charlie to make the decision, now, if that's true, its still ultimately Charlie's decision and if he didn't think Capels was a good fit, than he should not have hired him, regardless of any outside pressure. I also think Charlie did a very, very smart thing when he hire Capels, his salary was, I believe, the lowest, or one of the lowest in Division 1, he told Capels, if you want to make the money, show me first your a good coach, as bad as Capels was, in the end he did not cost us alot of money in terms of salary, or the cost of getting rid of him. As far as the team's grade average, I give equal blame to Capels, and Charlie, because their job was to monitor the kids and their class work, and both failed horribly in their duties.

RE: APP State's new AD - Saint3333 - 03-02-2015 01:56 PM

Capel was the biggest mistake during Cobb's time at App hands down. Likely cost him a job or two before he landed at GA St.

RE: APP State's new AD - APPrising - 03-02-2015 02:51 PM

(03-02-2015 01:56 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Capel was the biggest mistake during Cobb's time at App hands down. Likely cost him a job or two before he landed at GA St.

Should have tried going with McMahon at the time. He was the man. Played at App and was assistant coach for 9 or 10 years until Cobb sold his soul to the blue bloods by hiring Capel, who had a total of 1 year experience as assistant coach.

RE: APP State's new AD - T-Dog - 03-02-2015 03:05 PM

I really want this to be the last time we have to bring up the Cobb basketball hiring adventures.

Cobb botched two coaching searches in a row. He allowed a donor to buy out Houston Fancher's last year (125k) and he offered Buzz the job at least three times. The "search" took 78 days and eventually, Cobb called Buzz's bluff and got him to coach for 250k a year. One year later, a desperate UNCW search offered Buzz 400k+ and he bolted, leaving a message on Cobb's phone early Friday morning while his wife drove him to Wilmington. I've heard from a good source that Buzz was crying during this because he didn't want to go, but three mortgages weren't going to pay themselves like his failed auto dealership investment wanted to.

That Monday, less than 72 hours later, Capel (salary 158k per year) was offered the job over longtime assistant, alum and hands-down favorite Matt McMahon. It shocked everyone. Heck, even Buzz had said Capel would be on his staff and not McMahon because he figured like everyone else did. That was a donor-influenced hire also. The players liked Capel as an assistant because they listened to Jay-Z like he did. Not making this up. So Capel was the guy because of his "life experiences". He had his chance and failed, bringing in partial qualifiers and transfers which mostly tanked. He had one good run at the end of 2012-13, but that was it.

Cobb wanted to hire former UNCC coach Bobby Lutz, but Lutz publicly turned it down. So at the strong recommendation of Davidson coach Bob McKillop and his missus, Cobb hired Jim Fox (salary 200k & 10k increase per year), who we're all rooting for and believe he can turn it around on the court and in the classroom. We should be APR eligible next season and be fine going forward.

And for the record, Wofford's Mike Young is making 171k a year and that's an increase from the 99k he made up until a couple years ago. He's taken Wofford to 3 of the last 5 NCAA Tournaments and just won the SoCon regular season this year.

RE: APP State's new AD - moehler - 03-02-2015 03:43 PM

Hard to believe Young is still coaching at Wofford, with his record as a good/great coach, you would have thought he would have left Wofford a long time ago

RE: APP State's new AD - gsu95 - 03-02-2015 03:47 PM

(03-02-2015 03:43 PM)moehler Wrote:  Hard to believe Young is still coaching at Wofford, with his record as a good/great coach, you would have thought he would have left Wofford a long time ago

Maybe he likes where he's at. Some folks do. (Not everyone thinks bigger is better is bigger is better is bigger is better).