CSNbbs
Basketball Recruit Updates - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Basketball Recruit Updates (/thread-727343.html)

RE: Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 02-26-2020 10:06 AM

(02-26-2020 10:04 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(02-26-2020 09:23 AM)Gary Miller Wrote:  The biggest recruiting challenge for whoever gets the job is keeping the talent that's already here and then hitting the Juco/Grad Transfer market hard. Remember when McGrath took over and said he didn't plan on using JUCOs? That shows you just how far in over his head he was... While we're behind the 8 ball for the 2020 class at least we're not graduating anybody. Just have to limit our transfers as much as possible.

Yep. He was just completely out of touch with what it takes to compete at the mid-major level.

This is why we need someone with mid-major experience to take over the HC job.

So many easy case studies, not to mention the blueprint his buddy Wes finally figured out at his disposal. I just don't get it

RE: Recruit Updates - 70shawk - 02-26-2020 04:21 PM

(02-26-2020 09:23 AM)Gary Miller Wrote:  The biggest recruiting challenge for whoever gets the job is keeping the talent that's already here and then hitting the Juco/Grad Transfer market hard. Remember when McGrath took over and said he didn't plan on using JUCOs? That shows you just how far in over his head he was... While we're behind the 8 ball for the 2020 class at least we're not graduating anybody. Just have to limit our transfers as much as possible.

Based on what players have said via media, if Burke gets the permanent HC job it sounds like most everyone would be likely to stay. Somebody else, who knows?

RE: Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 02-26-2020 09:09 PM

(02-26-2020 04:21 PM)70shawk Wrote:  

Based on what players have said via media, if Burke gets the permanent HC job it sounds like most everyone would be likely to stay. Somebody else, who knows?

Situation reminds me a lot of Siddle when Keatts left. A big factor in his favor was probable player retention and keeping the status quo. I know many don't want to include that in the decision making process, but it is a major factor.

RE: Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 02-27-2020 08:29 AM

(02-26-2020 09:09 PM)82hawk Wrote:  

Situation reminds me a lot of Siddle when Keatts left. A big factor in his favor was probable player retention and keeping the status quo. I know many don't want to include that in the decision making process, but it is a major factor.
The big difference there is transitioning from a winning regime and here it's a losing.

RE: Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 02-27-2020 02:30 PM

(02-27-2020 08:29 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

The big difference there is transitioning from a winning regime and here it's a losing.

It may not be a winning tradition in our eyes, but it is in the current players. They believe in Burke and have made it clear. The risk of transfers if we hire a different coach isn't just a chance we take, it's likely to happen. This has been made clear.

RE: Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 02-27-2020 02:32 PM

(02-27-2020 02:30 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(02-27-2020 08:29 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

It may not be a winning tradition in our eyes, but it is in the current players. They believe in Burke and have made it clear. The risk of transfers if we hire a different coach isn't just a chance we take, it's likely to happen. This has been made clear.
It almost always happens with a new coach.

RE: Recruit Updates - SEA33HAWK - 02-27-2020 02:53 PM

I think I'm down to one of two choices. We make Burke the HC, or we hire Byington and keep Burke as an assistant.
That's if Byington even really wants the job.

RE: Recruit Updates - Gary Miller - 02-27-2020 03:04 PM

(02-27-2020 02:53 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  I think I'm down to one of two choices. We make Burke the HC, or we hire Byington and keep Burke as an assistant.

Also, got to factor in whether Burke would want to stay on if not given the job. He has to feel as if he's earned it. I think you either go with Burke or bring in a whole different staff entirely. The whole Burke as Byington's assistant just doesn't seem right after his success.

RE: Recruit Updates - SEA33HAWK - 02-27-2020 03:56 PM

(02-27-2020 03:04 PM)Gary Miller Wrote:  
(02-27-2020 02:53 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  I think I'm down to one of two choices. We make Burke the HC, or we hire Byington and keep Burke as an assistant.

Also, got to factor in whether Burke would want to stay on if not given the job. He has to feel as if he's earned it. I think you either go with Burke or bring in a whole different staff entirely. The whole Burke as Byington's assistant just doesn't seem right after his success.

I doubt Burke can jump right into a HC job somewhere else. Especially a D1 job. I could be wrong, but I don't know if any other D1 schools have looked that close to see what he is doing here. His best option would be to stay here at least another year or two. The only HC job I see he could get this year is right here. And I'd be just fine with that.

RE: Recruit Updates - Gary Miller - 02-27-2020 04:05 PM

(02-27-2020 03:56 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  

I doubt Burke can jump right into a HC job somewhere else. Especially a D1 job. I could be wrong, but I don't know if any other D1 schools have looked that close to see what he is doing here. His best option would be to stay here at least another year or two. The only HC job I see he could get this year is right here. And I'd be just fine with that.

It wouldn't be because he has another HC option. I just don't think moving him back to an assistant role creates a good environment for the players. They want him as their HC not as an assistant. It wouldn't be fair for Burke or Byington to have to deal with that.

RE: Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 02-27-2020 08:20 PM

(02-27-2020 04:05 PM)Gary Miller Wrote:  
(02-27-2020 03:56 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  

It wouldn't be because he has another HC option. I just don't think moving him back to an assistant role creates a good environment for the players. They want him as their HC not as an assistant. It wouldn't be fair for Burke or Byington to have to deal with that.

Agree. Also, I'm not hearing anything about Byington.

RE: Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 02-27-2020 08:26 PM

If I were to handicap this right now, i'd say the odds of Burke getting hired as HC is about 75%. His defensive emphasis alone makes his style of play very attractive long term.

RE: Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 03-04-2020 12:14 PM

Burke was at the Hoggard vs Lumberton game last night in Wilmington,watching Brady Rankin for Hoggard again. 22 points in a losing effort,played well.

RE: Recruit Updates - Big Alpha Hawk - 03-05-2020 07:56 AM

Joe King 2

RE: Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 03-05-2020 08:38 AM

(03-05-2020 07:56 AM)Big Alpha Hawk Wrote:  Joe King 2

He is a different player and a different kid than Joe King. King was satisfied to sit the bench on his hometown team . Rankin is not that guy and is a better player right now than King was at UNCW. Not saying he is a fit for UNCW or Burke but he obviously sees something he likes.

RE: Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 03-14-2020 09:24 PM

” UNCW new HC Takayo Siddle getting after recruiting already, offering a top available NC 2020 prospect in CG Jamahri Harvey of @MoravianPrep”

Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 03-14-2020 09:26 PM

(03-14-2020 09:24 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  ” UNCW new HC Takayo Siddle getting after recruiting already, offering a top available NC 2020 prospect in CG Jamahri Harvey of @MoravianPrep”

I thought recruiting was shut down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Recruit Updates - Gary Miller - 03-14-2020 09:30 PM

(03-14-2020 09:26 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(03-14-2020 09:24 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  ” UNCW new HC Takayo Siddle getting after recruiting already, offering a top available NC 2020 prospect in CG Jamahri Harvey of @MoravianPrep”

I thought the same thing. Confusing times. In regards to Harvey, I posted about him being as potential Siddle recruit on the speculation thread. Been a fan of his for a while and he’d a perfect fit

RE: Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 03-14-2020 09:44 PM

” UNCW new HC Takayo Siddle getting after recruiting already, offering a top available NC 2020 prospect in CG Jamahri Harvey of @MoravianPrep”

RE: Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 03-14-2020 11:40 PM

(03-14-2020 09:30 PM)Gary Miller Wrote:  
(03-14-2020 09:26 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

I thought the same thing. Confusing times. In regards to Harvey, I posted about him being as potential Siddle recruit on the speculation thread. Been a fan of his for a while and he’d a perfect fit

I understand it as face to face recruiting or on site but phone calls,texts.email is still ok. Most verbal offers are made on the phone with a visit setup type deal.