CSNbbs
Basketball Recruit Updates - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Basketball Recruit Updates (/thread-727343.html)

RE: Recruit Updates - Gary Miller - 05-30-2019 01:04 PM

(05-22-2019 09:07 AM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  
(05-22-2019 08:14 AM)Gary Miller Wrote:  
(05-22-2019 08:03 AM)HAWKING Wrote:  
(05-21-2019 03:49 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  
(05-21-2019 03:35 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  It's my understanding we are recruiting for 2020. And I thought we have made at least one offer. Can't remember if we have a commit or not.

Looks like we have offered Jamahri Harvey for 2020. 6'5" SG from Fayetteville NC.
Offer was made before Phillips committed. Harvey is not in it anymore.

Harvey was an interesting target. I believe he is technically class of 2020 but since he previously reclassified he could've been eligible to graduate in 2019, furthermore I think UNCW offered him to be apart of this class... He committed to Moravian Prep for his senior year recently, so it looks like he's staying in 2020. I have no clue whether he will be a target for 2020 or not. Also, the staff is definitely working on 2020 too. This staff knows how to hit the ground and recruit, that's one thing we know sure.

One source (can't remember which) had him offered for 2020. So many of these sources don't do a good job of updating. At least for most mid-majors.

Prospect Spotlight: Jamahri Harvey

https://www.prephoops.com/2019/05/prospect-spotlight-jamahri-harvey/

RE: Recruit Updates - getmhawks - 05-30-2019 02:22 PM

(05-30-2019 01:04 PM)Gary Miller Wrote:  
(05-22-2019 08:03 AM)HAWKING Wrote:  
(05-21-2019 03:49 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  Looks like we have offered Jamahri Harvey for 2020. 6'5" SG from Fayetteville NC.
Offer was made before Phillips committed. Harvey is not in it anymore.

Harvey was an interesting target. I believe he is technically class of 2020 but since he previously reclassified he could've been eligible to graduate in 2019, furthermore I think UNCW offered him to be apart of this class... He committed to Moravian Prep for his senior year recently, so it looks like he's staying in 2020. I have no clue whether he will be a target for 2020 or not. Also, the staff is definitely working on 2020 too. This staff knows how to hit the ground and recruit, that's one thing we know sure.

One source (can't remember which) had him offered for 2020. So many of these sources don't do a good job of updating. At least for most mid-majors.

Hard to turn down a Murray State offer in my opinion. I'd take that program over a lower level High Major any day.

RE: Recruit Updates - Gary Miller - 05-30-2019 02:28 PM

(05-30-2019 02:22 PM)getmhawks Wrote:  
(05-22-2019 08:03 AM)HAWKING Wrote:  Offer was made before Phillips committed. Harvey is not in it anymore.

Hard to turn down a Murray State offer in my opinion. I'd take that program over a lower level High Major any day.

I'm with you there... these kids go for the glamor of P5s even if it means they'll ride the pine and end up transferring though. Curry v. Kawhi in this finals both went to great Mid Major programs but kids just don't think that way most of the time.

RE: Recruit Updates - B_Hawk06 - 05-30-2019 02:33 PM

(05-30-2019 02:22 PM)getmhawks Wrote:  
(05-22-2019 08:03 AM)HAWKING Wrote:  Offer was made before Phillips committed. Harvey is not in it anymore.

It all depends on playing opportunities. If there's better guys in front of you or in the same class you might be on a better team but see less court time. For that reason, I could easily see guys picking lower "tier" teams.

RE: Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 06-02-2019 12:47 PM

A good/decent big man would be what the doctor ordered right about now. Hawks are in good shape other than this spot. I know that small ball is the thing now, but some size/shot blocking and rebounding wouldn't hurt right about now.

Recruit Updates - Proff - 06-02-2019 02:17 PM

I can remember two statements about big men. Al Maguire (former Marquette coach) always said good teams had a big "aircraft carrier". My favorite though was what a former UNCW history professor said and that was you needed a "big sum bi**h" in the middle. To me they were correct - good teams have a good big man. We could certainly use one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: Recruit Updates - 70shawk - 06-02-2019 06:02 PM

(06-02-2019 02:17 PM)Proff Wrote:  I can remember two statements about big men. Al Maguire (former Marquette coach) always said good teams had a big "aircraft carrier". My favorite though was what a former UNCW history professor said and that was you needed a "big sum bi**h" in the middle. To me they were correct - good teams have a good big man. We could certainly use one.

Jaume Sorolla has verbally committed to Cincinatti

Recruit Updates - B_Hawk06 - 06-02-2019 07:51 PM

(06-02-2019 02:17 PM)Proff Wrote:  I can remember two statements about big men. Al Maguire (former Marquette coach) always said good teams had a big "aircraft carrier". My favorite though was what a former UNCW history professor said and that was you needed a "big sum bi**h" in the middle. To me they were correct - good teams have a good big man. We could certainly use one.

Agree. Plus it’s a big time help to have that quality big that can move people around and alter shots once you get to the dance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RE: Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 06-02-2019 08:22 PM

Did that particular history professor have a 5 point grade scale to get an A in his class? If so, I had that guy. It was an elective that shouldn't have been that difficult, but he tried to make it that way.

RE: Recruit Updates - 70shawk - 06-04-2019 06:25 PM

Looks like John Calipari's son is leaving UK and entering the transfer portal. Will be immediately eligible . Perhaps their father-son relationship would be strengthened if both of them ended up spending some time playing at UNCW?

Sources: Calipari's son on track to leave UK

According to his Kentucky bio, Calipari was on track to graduate in three years and would therefore be eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer -- likely with two years of eligibility remaining.

In March, John Calipari hinted at a potential transfer for his son.

"He redshirted because he's going to have two years to play if he chooses to," Calipari told Jim Rome. "He can go to another school, a smaller school where he'll play more."

Recruit Updates - B_Hawk06 - 06-05-2019 04:59 AM

(06-04-2019 06:25 PM)70shawk Wrote:  Looks like John Calipari's son is leaving UK and entering the transfer portal. Will be immediately eligible . Perhaps their father-son relationship would be strengthened if both of them ended up spending some time playing at UNCW?

According to his Kentucky bio, Calipari was on track to graduate in three years and would therefore be eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer -- likely with two years of eligibility remaining.

"He redshirted because he's going to have two years to play if he chooses to," Calipari told Jim Rome. "He can go to another school, a smaller school where he'll play more."

Is he even good or is it just that his last name is Calipari?

RE: Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 06-05-2019 12:46 PM

(06-05-2019 04:59 AM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(06-04-2019 06:25 PM)70shawk Wrote:  Looks like John Calipari's son is leaving UK and entering the transfer portal. Will be immediately eligible . Perhaps their father-son relationship would be strengthened if both of them ended up spending some time playing at UNCW?

His association with UNCW would be worth a scholarship regardless.....

RE: Recruit Updates - getmhawks - 06-05-2019 01:58 PM

(06-05-2019 12:46 PM)82hawk Wrote:  

I handed Johnny C. a pool towel back in my days at the Holiday Inn down on Wrightsville. He stayed there one summer during his time as coach at Memphis. That's my claim to fame.

Joel Justice as an assistant at Kentucky would likely encourage Calapari's son to come here. But he is most likely not that good. Maybe we'd get a nice donation out of it down the road?

RE: Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 06-05-2019 02:31 PM

(06-05-2019 01:58 PM)getmhawks Wrote:  

I handed Johnny C. a pool towel back in my days at the Holiday Inn down on Wrightsville. He stayed there one summer during his time as coach at Memphis. That's my claim to fame.

Joel Justice as an assistant at Kentucky would likely encourage Calapari's son to come here. But he is most likely not that good. Maybe we'd get a nice donation out of it down the road?
He was a lights out shooter in HS......

RE: Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 06-06-2019 03:53 PM

So, are we done for the year?

RE: Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 06-06-2019 05:12 PM

If he can't play and there is damn good chance he can't why on Earth would you give him a scholarship to play basketball? On the off chance that his Daddy writes a check to UNCW is pretty lame.

RE: Recruit Updates - HAWKING - 06-06-2019 08:37 PM

(06-06-2019 03:53 PM)82hawk Wrote:  So, are we done for the year?
I'm sure they are still looking for a 5 to play with Linssen. Would be a shame to put all the inside responsibilities after Cacok on an inexperienced Redshirt and a Freshman (Dodd). One injury away from being in trouble so that last scholarship should go to a quality big.

RE: Recruit Updates - Gary Miller - 06-07-2019 04:54 PM

(06-06-2019 08:37 PM)HAWKING Wrote:  
I'm sure they are still looking for a 5 to play with Linssen. Would be a shame to put all the inside responsibilities after Cacok on an inexperienced Redshirt and a Freshman (Dodd). One injury away from being in trouble so that last scholarship should go to a quality big.

Yeah I mean there are still a good amount of moving pieces on the transfer market, so I wouldn't be surprised if we add another player or two. I believe we have 3 open scholarships for next season. If we don't add another big I'd expect to see Sims and Boggs get some time at the 4 with us playing a lot of small ball lineups. I agree it looks we're going to be relying heavily on Linssen and Dodd to anchor our frontcourt at this point

RE: Recruit Updates - 70shawk - 06-07-2019 07:37 PM

(06-07-2019 04:54 PM)Gary Miller Wrote:  
(06-06-2019 08:37 PM)HAWKING Wrote:  

Yeah I mean there are still a good amount of moving pieces on the transfer market, so I wouldn't be surprised if we add another player or two. I believe we have 3 open scholarships for next season. If we don't add another big I'd expect to see Sims and Boggs get some time at the 4 with us playing a lot of small ball lineups. I agree it looks we're going to be relying heavily on Linssen and Dodd to anchor our frontcourt at this point

There still seem to be a number of big guys with immediate eligibility in the transfer portal. Some look pretty good...others, not so much. My hunch is that you are correct...I'll bet our coaches get another big before this is over. They need to.

RE: Recruit Updates - Seahawk2010 - 06-08-2019 05:46 PM

Any names? I am curious why these guys haven't committed somewhere yet if they are decent.