CSNbbs
Basketball Recruit Updates - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Basketball Recruit Updates (/thread-727343.html)

RE: Recruit Updates - Seahawk Nation 08 - 04-07-2017 08:04 AM

(04-07-2017 07:58 AM)Screamin Seahawk Wrote:  Apparently Bryce "intends to be on the team next year but may revisit his status in the next month or so." FWIW.

In other words, if a scholarship opens up at an "upgrade" kind of situation he'll jump ship, otherwise he'll stick it out?

Have to think that the longer he waits, the higher the chance he stays. Summer classes start in mid-May, after all. Can't wait around forever to decide which school you're going to go to.

Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 04-07-2017 08:29 AM

Bryce's comment reminds me a lot of the stuff Whitley was saying. I plan to be here next year, well maybe

RE: Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 04-07-2017 08:32 AM

(04-07-2017 08:29 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Bryce's comment reminds me a lot of the stuff Whitley was saying. I plan to be here next year, well maybe

Whitley didn't waiver at all in his commitment until he announced he was released from his LOI, at least as far as what I read.

Regardless, two different kids and situations. I wouldn't draw too many parallels between them.

Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 04-07-2017 10:29 AM

Regardless it doesn't sound good to me. He could be one the the best ever at our school i hope he sticks it out. And the comment about changing things defensively, I'm fine with that! It's needed.

RE: Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 04-07-2017 10:34 AM

Riley's response when asked if there are potential recruits he's heard of; "None yet, but it sounds like he's got some names in mind."

RE: Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 04-07-2017 11:35 PM

CJ is just saying what he feels. There's nothing wrong with that. He wants to get a vibe for what things will be like. Hopefully he will stay the course. My gut says that CB's system will be good for CJ and he will get enough offensive freedom to do his thing and he will be a big part of the offense. He will still get downhill off ball screens or have the ball in his hands at the end of the shot clock plus more of a motion type of set will probably free him up even more because they won't always see what's coming. Cacok may actually get some touches to allow him to go to work some too. This is all a good thing because 3 balls can work inside out now. People will tell you that hoops has changed and they are wrong. You need some post touches too.

At the end of the day, you want a team concept in half court, but you tailor it to personnel too. Any good coach will recognize this and will make that happen. When you consider transition and half court, CJ's gonna get plenty of shots. And will be able to do his thing too when he feels he needs to. He's thus far demonstrated that he's the type of player that does his thing in the context of the game for the most part, not on his own agenda. And if he's rolling, he's rolling and it's all good with everybody...that's just ball and the coaches know that because they've played.

As far as D goes, well this team needs to be better to get to the next rung. They have to know that and as it gets to CJ....I think that he's a very good defender that may be even better utilized when you don't completely sell the floor out at all times. I'm tired of trading baskets! Let's make the Dance and advance plus score too. It can happen folks! This is a good basketball school that needs to be a great basketball school. That happens with stops! Go Hawks!!

RE: Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 04-11-2017 08:52 AM

82 mentioned the assistant from Mercer, so I looked at guys they're recruiting, mainly bigs. Jake Lanford is a 6'8 C from Charleston:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypfb9H4Vgzc

I'm not a talent evaluator, but competition doesn't look the strongest and he doesn't have a left hand. I think he would be a project at this level.

RE: Recruit Updates - Dash Rip Rock Jr - 04-11-2017 04:45 PM

So now we have lost the JUCO recruit from New Bern , lots of holes to fill.

RE: Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 04-11-2017 05:04 PM

Cole is apparently being looked at by Clemson, G Tech, and you guessed it , NC State. If we let any of the recruits go to State Bass needs to be fired!

RE: Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 04-11-2017 07:19 PM

(04-11-2017 05:04 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Cole is apparently being looked at by Clemson, G Tech, and you guessed it , NC State. If we let any of the recruits go to State Bass needs to be fired!

Why should a,player be punished for following a coach who he recruited?

RE: Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 04-11-2017 07:25 PM

Nothing but good news from this point forward you would have to think!

RE: Recruit Updates - getmhawks - 04-11-2017 08:14 PM

(04-11-2017 07:25 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  Nothing but good news from this point forward you would have to think!

Umm yeah...I guess it has to be. Wouldn't have guessed we'd lose all recruits. Damn!

Last I saw Cole was getting an offer from Kennesaw State. Where are you guys seeing ACC interest?

McGrath has to get these assistants in place. We have a whole helluva lot to accomplish in a few weeks while giving attention to our current roster.

RE: Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 04-11-2017 08:26 PM

We will have to wait and see. It may be that some of them end up at UNCW, but want to have options. The JUCO forward, Zac Cuthbertson,would have/could have a really good chance of starting. CB and future staff will have 5 grants to work with and don't have to fill all of them. Hopefully there will be some good news soon.

RE: Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 04-11-2017 10:23 PM

(04-11-2017 07:19 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(04-11-2017 05:04 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Cole is apparently being looked at by Clemson, G Tech, and you guessed it , NC State. If we let any of the recruits go to State Bass needs to be fired!

Why should a,player be punished for following a coach who he recruited?

It's the golden rule, if a school lets you out of your COMMITMENT, they can choose where you can't go!

RE: Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 04-11-2017 10:25 PM

(04-11-2017 08:14 PM)getmhawks Wrote:  [quote='billthebighawksfan' pid='14257691' dateline='1491956718']
Nothing but good news from this point forward you would have to think!

Umm yeah...I guess it has to be. Wouldn't have guessed we'd lose all recruits. Damn!

Last I saw Cole was getting an offer from Kennesaw State. Where are you guys seeing ACC interest?

McGrath has to get these assistants in place. We have a whole helluva lot to accomplish in a few weeks while giving attention to our current roster.
[/qu

I should have linked the article. It was an article on GT recruiting, Cole was mentioned at length.

RE: Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 04-12-2017 06:53 AM

He was the MVP of the Georgia State all star game. Hea have decommitted from Keatts as well. Especially of GT is calling and he's from Georgia

RE: Recruit Updates - solohawks - 04-12-2017 11:19 AM

https://twitter.com/AlexRileySN/status/852180362402947074

Cuthbertson out too. Starting from scratch on the recruiting level

RE: Recruit Updates - B_Hawk06 - 04-12-2017 12:19 PM

Might be a short bench next year...

RE: Recruit Updates - getmhawks - 04-12-2017 12:38 PM

(04-12-2017 12:19 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  Might be a short bench next year...

Really good article discussing the difficulties of sustaining success at a mid major with the increasing rate of players "transferring up". Hopefully we aren't facing the issue of transfers this year but I'll be surprised if we aren't. I'm not naive enough to think it's not possible and we may very well be in a total rebuild mode in less than a month.

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/adapt-die-robert-morris-andy-toole-dealt-college-basketballs-transfer-epidemic/

RE: Recruit Updates - 70shawk - 04-12-2017 03:50 PM

(04-12-2017 12:38 PM)getmhawks Wrote:  
(04-12-2017 12:19 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  Might be a short bench next year...

Really good article discussing the difficulties of sustaining success at a mid major with the increasing rate of players "transferring up". Hopefully we aren't facing the issue of transfers this year but I'll be surprised if we aren't. I'm not naive enough to think it's not possible and we may very well be in a total rebuild mode in less than a month.

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/adapt-die-robert-morris-andy-toole-dealt-college-basketballs-transfer-epidemic/

Recruiting players to go to Kansas and Chapel Hill is an entirely different proposition than to less blue-blood high major programs, much less a mid major. Not hanging on to a single recruit is not a comforting development.