CSNbbs
Basketball Recruit Updates - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Basketball Recruit Updates (/thread-727343.html)

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - SEA33HAWK - 02-25-2022 08:41 AM

I can see him going pro overseas or leaving for grad work we don't offer. But he will not have the leadership position he has here at a higher level school. That was my concern with CJ. He is now apparently overseas somewhere, while Cacok, who chose to stay, is in the NBA. And CJ's jersey would eventually have been hanging in the rafters at the Dub. That won't happen at State.

Basketball Recruit Updates - B_Hawk06 - 02-25-2022 09:04 AM

(02-25-2022 08:41 AM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  I can see him going pro overseas or leaving for grad work we don't offer. But he will not have the leadership position he has here at a higher level school. That was my concern with CJ. He is now apparently overseas somewhere, while Cacok, who chose to stay, is in the NBA. And CJ's jersey would eventually have been hanging in the rafters at the Dub. That won't happen at State.

He has most recently played on a pro team in Hungary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 70shawk - 03-03-2022 09:42 AM

(02-22-2022 08:43 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  I’m looking forward to having Ross on campus: https://twitter.com/theseahawkperch/status/1495593706224861184?s=21

https://eu.fayobserver.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2022/02/25/uncw-seahawks-basketball-recruiting-noah-ross-trinity-academy-2022/6879244001/

As a rising senior, he visited Charlotte, East Tennessee State, Ohio and Wofford. College of Charleston and Tulsa also came in late. But Ross tackled his recruitment with a “go where you’re wanted” mindset, he said; under that framework, UNC Wilmington, which offered him last May, was a runaway choice.

Siddle and assistant coach Travis Hackert took every chance they had to post up courtside for his AAU games, and the close-to-home program also pitched him a “big plan,” Ross said: one that’ll ideally send him down a similar developmental path as senior Jaylen Sims, the reigning CAA Player of the Week.

He had no qualms about locking up his recruitment early. Ross verbally committed to UNCW on July 14 and officially signed in November, with his coach-to-be, Siddle, describing him as a multi-level scorer and a “very competitive player (who) will bring a great amount of toughness and versatility to our team.”

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Big Alpha Hawk - 03-11-2022 01:48 PM

Jaylen Gibson has entered the transfer portal

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 03-11-2022 01:51 PM

(03-11-2022 01:48 PM)Big Alpha Hawk Wrote:  Jaylen Gibson has entered the transfer portal

Interesting, would have to think he would dominate at our level.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Hawk81 - 03-11-2022 02:01 PM

In the last 24 hours, four players from Northeastern have entered the portal.

Quirin Emanga
Connor Braun
Vito Cubrilo
Jason Strong

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Hawk81 - 03-11-2022 02:02 PM

Devon Savage (JMU) has also entered. Apparently he doesn't want to go play in the bottom of the Sun Belt league.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 03-11-2022 04:08 PM

I’ve felt for a while that Gibson would be a good fit.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - UNCWin - 03-11-2022 08:24 PM

Gibson would be a game changer for us.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - solohawks - 03-11-2022 10:39 PM

(03-11-2022 08:24 PM)UNCWin Wrote:  Gibson would be a game changer for us.

If it's a friendly departure it would be awesome to take advantage of the Keatts-Siddle connection

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 03-11-2022 11:57 PM

It would be great IMHO to have 2 legit bigs for a change with an emerging 1 or 2 that could swing to 4 if need be. And, that is not to short change McGriff/Samb at all. McGriff is an athletic guy but needs to put on weight and get adjusted to the game. It's tough to put on muscle weight. Kelly is a legit center at this point but probably wasn't early on. He had to put weight on too. Same can be said for most. McGriff reminds me of the kid at Elon that started becoming formidable in year 2-still a little light but mobile. That's where I see McGriff-hands and quicks are there. Samb looks like he can hold his own at this point and looked good to me when he came in during the JMU home game. I like what he can bring to the party too no doubt about it to me. Still, you have to look at the portal and if you have Gibson at 6'10" and 220, that's a good get when you consider that you have to go against Thompson at Towson. I'm sick and tired of their bully ball but that's just me (not a knock on them at all btw). You can still go big with what you have but rolling 2 true bigs that are ready to roll is a viable option and an option that may be prudent, if available.

It's all still up in the air. He may not come and that's okay. Things change. Heck,Samb and/or McGriff could show that they could play 4 and several on this board would be happy going big-I'm not against that either. I've bantered thoughts about moving Tra to 3 in time too but that's just me-the kid is athletic and has some ball skills plus good shot presentation from 3 ( results should come from what I see) -Tra is a a winner that plays to win period regardless of whether it's him or not so he has to be on the floor. I like controlling the glass but that's just me.

Ross is going to factor into this. He's going to play a bunch as a true freshman. Having an IQ player that can stick the 3, board and drive the ball some is going to be factor in. They may figure that he will man the 3 and with his rebounding can allow Tra to still man the 4. Let's see. I'd like a combo of playing big and small because that way you have a plan for all teams and everyone is in the mix.

This will be a fun off season because the Hawks have momentum and should be able to augment in a way to be competitive. It's early.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 03-23-2022 03:29 PM

Noah Ross Sr. year highlights

https://twitter.com/i/status/1506721901124759554

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Cancin - 03-24-2022 07:31 AM

(03-11-2022 11:57 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  McGriff reminds me of the kid at Elon that started becoming formidable in year 2-still a little light but mobile. That's where I see McGriff-hands and quicks are there.

McGriff played in two games this year. Is he eligible for a redshirt?

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 70shawk - 03-24-2022 10:36 AM

(03-24-2022 07:31 AM)Cancin Wrote:  
(03-11-2022 11:57 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  McGriff reminds me of the kid at Elon that started becoming formidable in year 2-still a little light but mobile. That's where I see McGriff-hands and quicks are there.

I believe they changed the redshirt rule before this season to let players play up to something like 6 games and still be able to redshirt. They had previously changed to rule for football, allowing up to four games and still being able to redshirt.

But someone else may have more up to date info than me....

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - SEA33HAWK - 03-24-2022 02:03 PM

(03-24-2022 10:36 AM)70shawk Wrote:  
(03-24-2022 07:31 AM)Cancin Wrote:  

I believe they changed the redshirt rule before this season to let players play up to something like 6 games and still be able to redshirt. They had previously changed to rule for football, allowing up to four games and still being able to redshirt.

But someone else may have more up to date info than me....

Last I heard it's still 6 games.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Big Alpha Hawk - 03-24-2022 03:40 PM

It was could not appear in more than 30% of games and those games could not be in last half of season

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Big Alpha Hawk - 03-31-2022 02:04 PM

TJ Hurley to Vermont

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 70shawk - 04-18-2022 07:13 AM

Noah Ross ALL-ACCESS thru State Playoff Run ? UNCW Commit & Triangle Player of the Year!!

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 04-18-2022 07:42 AM

(04-18-2022 07:13 AM)70shawk Wrote:  

Noah Ross ALL-ACCESS thru State Playoff Run ? UNCW Commit & Triangle Player of the Year!!

Really excited about this kid! Interesting to see his trainer decked out in UNCW gear as well

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Big Alpha Hawk - 05-04-2022 07:11 PM

Nolan Hodge selected to play in the NC East West All Star game.