CSNbbs
Basketball Recruit Updates - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Basketball Recruit Updates (/thread-727343.html)

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawk Nation 08 - 02-14-2022 09:02 AM

(02-14-2022 08:44 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  I guess that depends right? Sims has option for extra year, does he take it?

If we're being honest with ourselves, I find it unlikely that he sticks around another year.

As much as I want him to stick around, it would likely be in his best interests, both academically and athletically, to go the grad transfer route.

I don't want to derail this thread with Sims talk though. I'll start a separate thread.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Big Alpha Hawk - 02-16-2022 12:28 PM

No matter what Sims decides I hope we bring in another point guard with this class

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 02-16-2022 12:35 PM

(02-16-2022 12:28 PM)Big Alpha Hawk Wrote:  No matter what Sims decides I hope we bring in another point guard with this class

We should still have Shy, and Thomas and a ton of SG that could also handle(including our two commits). With Baker graduating, bringing in some beef & size might be more important at this point.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - B_Hawk06 - 02-16-2022 01:49 PM

I would much rather find another PF type or C that can run the floor well (Yes, I know how rare that is) than another PG.

We need someone in the paint so our smaller, all G lineup doesn't get pushed around as easy. I know Kelly and Baker have done great in that role this year, but I would really like to see some size added to our lineup. Not to mention, Baker is a grad transfer and this year is his only year with us.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 02-17-2022 09:17 AM

(02-16-2022 01:49 PM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  I would much rather find another PF type or C that can run the floor well (Yes, I know how rare that is) than another PG.

We need someone in the paint so our smaller, all G lineup doesn't get pushed around as easy. I know Kelly and Baker have done great in that role this year, but I would really like to see some size added to our lineup. Not to mention, Baker is a grad transfer and this year is his only year with us.

I agree with that but I also think the transfer portal will be a factor-both with players leaving UNCW and recruiting through the portal . It might not happen but chances are pretty high it happens every year for a while at least . Todays players change travel ball teams at halftime and don't think anything about changing high schools a few times . The portal is a major part of recruiting going forward .

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 02-17-2022 03:16 PM

Winning tends to keep players and attract players from the portal at the same time. If you're on a losing team and you transfer your downside in leaving is limited. No telling what happens when you leave though.

Just look at the guys who left UNCW.

Pridgen is sitting out a year on and watching a horrible NU team on the bench.

Boggs is on a USF team that is 7-17 overall, 2-10 in the conference, and he has gone from being a starter at the beginning of the year to coming off the bench. The last five games he's played 6 min, 7 min, 12 min, 13 min and 8 min. I his last 11 games he's scored zero four times, between 2-4 points six times, and six points once.

Dodd went to Charleston Southern and isn't even on the roster now.

I'm not worried about any of the current players transferring who can stay. Sims may leave for academic purposes if he has grad school ambitions he can't get at UNCW. I don't know if he has proven himself enough, or has a defined role that would allow him to play for money yet. We have him at PG, but I can't see that happening at the next level. If he wants to play for money, he probably needs another year to define and improve his game. The covid mess has really thrown a loop for all the players, but especially a guy who had to play his final years in the middle of it. Next year would truly be his only real year without it.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 02-17-2022 09:00 PM

Need to recruit size and toughness at 4 and 5. Perhaps Samb and McGriff can provide some of this but it showed tonight. We got beat up.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 02-17-2022 09:13 PM

(02-17-2022 03:16 PM)82hawk Wrote:  Winning tends to keep players and attract players from the portal at the same time. If you're on a losing team and you transfer your downside in leaving is limited. No telling what happens when you leave though.

Just look at the guys who left UNCW.

Pridgen is sitting out a year on and watching a horrible NU team on the bench.

Boggs is on a USF team that is 7-17 overall, 2-10 in the conference, and he has gone from being a starter at the beginning of the year to coming off the bench. The last five games he's played 6 min, 7 min, 12 min, 13 min and 8 min. I his last 11 games he's scored zero four times, between 2-4 points six times, and six points once.

Dodd went to Charleston Southern and isn't even on the roster now.

I'm not worried about any of the current players transferring who can stay. Sims may leave for academic purposes if he has grad school ambitions he can't get at UNCW. I don't know if he has proven himself enough, or has a defined role that would allow him to play for money yet. We have him at PG, but I can't see that happening at the next level. If he wants to play for money, he probably needs another year to define and improve his game. The covid mess has really thrown a loop for all the players, but especially a guy who had to play his final years in the middle of it. Next year would truly be his only real year without it.

Literally no way to know what players are thinking these days as the whole landscape has changed. This is not 2015 or 1995 and todays players don’t have the same loyalty or roots that previous guys may have had . I would bet there is at least a couple of guys on the bench weighing their options right now . It would be naive to not think it can and probably will happen with someone on the team .

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 70shawk - 02-22-2022 04:48 AM

Okay - so assuming everyone stays (and The Mullet is right - not something you can assume easily these days ) with Sims moving on, that leaves three open scholarships, right?

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 02-22-2022 08:15 AM

I’m pretty sure that’s right 70’s.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 02-22-2022 08:37 AM

(02-22-2022 04:48 AM)70shawk Wrote:  Okay - so assuming everyone stays (and The Mullet is right - not something you can assume easily these days ) with Sims moving on, that leaves three open scholarships, right?

Why are we assuming Sims is moving on? We're a lot better next year if he's back.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 02-22-2022 08:39 AM

(02-22-2022 08:37 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(02-22-2022 04:48 AM)70shawk Wrote:  Okay - so assuming everyone stays (and The Mullet is right - not something you can assume easily these days ) with Sims moving on, that leaves three open scholarships, right?

Why are we assuming Sims is moving on? We're a lot better next year if he's back.
According to Brant at the Perch, he's moving on. He posted it Saturday

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 02-22-2022 08:43 AM

I’m looking forward to having Ross on campus: https://twitter.com/theseahawkperch/status/1495593706224861184?s=21

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 02-22-2022 08:44 AM

(02-22-2022 08:41 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(02-22-2022 08:39 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

Can you point me to what he said? I missed it and I don't see anything related on his Twitter feed.
Apparently it was on his IG? I don't have it, few people read it and told me. It's referenced by a number of people in the Sims thread.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 02-22-2022 08:46 AM

(02-22-2022 08:43 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  I’m looking forward to having Ross on campus: https://twitter.com/theseahawkperch/status/1495593706224861184?s=21

He could be a big factor pretty quickly, both by necessity, and the fact that his body looks fairly developed for a kid his age.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 02-22-2022 08:48 AM

(02-22-2022 08:46 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(02-22-2022 08:43 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  I’m looking forward to having Ross on campus: https://twitter.com/theseahawkperch/status/1495593706224861184?s=21

He could be a big factor pretty quickly, both by necessity, and the fact that his body looks fairly developed for a kid his age.

He's at home tonight against Gaston Day; third round of the state playoffs.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 02-22-2022 08:50 AM

(02-22-2022 08:44 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

Can you point me to what he said? I missed it and I don't see anything related on his Twitter feed.
Apparently it was on his IG? I don't have it, few people read it and told me. It's referenced by a number of people in the Sims thread.

I read the Sims thread.

Scribe, I couldn't tell within that thread if it was opinion or based on source. Is that a settled matter in your opinion?

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 02-23-2022 05:52 PM

Noah and Trinity Academy are in the private school 2A State Championship game Saturday night.

https://twitter.com/jeffreybendel_/status/1496554972284133383?s=21

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - ScribeHawk - 02-25-2022 01:02 AM

(02-22-2022 08:50 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(02-22-2022 08:44 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(02-22-2022 08:37 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  Why are we assuming Sims is moving on? We're a lot better next year if he's back.

I read the Sims thread.

Scribe, I couldn't tell within that thread if it was opinion or based on source. Is that a settled matter in your opinion?

Yeah, it looked pretty settled based on what he posted + going through the Senior Day festivities.

I guess there's always a chance he takes a look around and decides to return, but between his talent and character, I've gotta believe he'll have the chance to be a pro or be a grad transfer at a higher level.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 02-25-2022 07:13 AM

Character is the key word Scribe. His leadership has been unbelievable and he represents the school in such a great manner.