CSNbbs
Basketball Recruit Updates - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Basketball Recruit Updates (/thread-727343.html)

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 07-17-2021 05:55 PM

(07-17-2021 02:27 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(07-17-2021 11:45 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(07-17-2021 05:51 AM)82hawk Wrote:  
(07-16-2021 11:06 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  Y'all know that it takes talent to win and coaching. Wainwright and Brownell could not win without great players. It takes both so I agree on that part of it.

I would like to see 1 more big to round out the class. There's plenty of time here. It looks like they have some shooters coming which is good but you will never win big unless you have enough size in the Dance. I would wait to see how this year pans out for bigs but again, another banger would seem to be the right fit given that there is enough good PG and shooters. If you're looking WF, you ideally want another Sims if you can get one too (don't know the grant count right now), somebody that can score driving, mid or 3 ball. Hopefully one of these guys has some of that but a big is top priority to me.

Still have 3 spots left in the 2022 class and we have four offers out to guys who are at least 6'8". Siddle isn't going to have more than three big men on the roster at any one time, so it will depend on who is still here in 2022. McGriff, Kelly and Samb should be here, so I wouldn't expect more than one big in this 2022 class.

Why would he not have more than 3 big men at the same time ? Makes zero sense to me to not have tall basketball players. I get it that everybody plays pickup basketball now jacking the 3 ball but somebody has to rebound and maybe play interior defense . Even in a conference as weak as the CAA there will be big guys who play post offense. I checked the roster and right now they have one big man,maybe I am missing something here but one guy to play inside seems pretty iffy to me.

By big men, I mean post players in the 5 spot. But he's not going to run a typical power forward and a center for the most part. I fact, if you look at verbal commits, none of our players or offers are to guys that are classifiesd as centers.
I admit I have paid all most no attention to recruiting by any teams at all. I checked the roster and saw 1 guy who has size and a 6-8 kid who weighs 170-good luck with that. I didn't renew my tickets but still might make a game or two-just no interest in seeing CAA level basketball. Good luck to the Seahawks !

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 07-17-2021 08:30 PM

(07-17-2021 05:55 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(07-17-2021 05:51 AM)82hawk Wrote:  
(07-16-2021 11:06 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  Y'all know that it takes talent to win and coaching. Wainwright and Brownell could not win without great players. It takes both so I agree on that part of it.

I would like to see 1 more big to round out the class. There's plenty of time here. It looks like they have some shooters coming which is good but you will never win big unless you have enough size in the Dance. I would wait to see how this year pans out for bigs but again, another banger would seem to be the right fit given that there is enough good PG and shooters. If you're looking WF, you ideally want another Sims if you can get one too (don't know the grant count right now), somebody that can score driving, mid or 3 ball. Hopefully one of these guys has some of that but a big is top priority to me.

Still have 3 spots left in the 2022 class and we have four offers out to guys who are at least 6'8". Siddle isn't going to have more than three big men on the roster at any one time, so it will depend on who is still here in 2022. McGriff, Kelly and Samb should be here, so I wouldn't expect more than one big in this 2022 class.

Why would he not have more than 3 big men at the same time ? Makes zero sense to me to not have tall basketball players. I get it that everybody plays pickup basketball now jacking the 3 ball but somebody has to rebound and maybe play interior defense . Even in a conference as weak as the CAA there will be big guys who play post offense. I checked the roster and right now they have one big man,maybe I am missing something here but one guy to play inside seems pretty iffy to me.

By big men, I mean post players in the 5 spot. But he's not going to run a typical power forward and a center for the most part. I fact, if you look at verbal commits, none of our players or offers are to guys that are classifiesd as centers.
I admit I have paid all most no attention to recruiting by any teams at all. I checked the roster and saw 1 guy who has size and a 6-8 kid who weighs 170-good luck with that. I didn't renew my tickets but still might make a game or two-just no interest in seeing CAA level basketball. Good luck to the Seahawks !

Got it. No knowledge about recruiting, no interest in CAA level basketball. So why are you posting your drivel here again? From every definition i've seen, you're nothing but a troll....

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 07-17-2021 09:16 PM

It will be interesting to see how the freshman does. He may be effective even at a light weight.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 07-18-2021 05:33 AM

(07-17-2021 09:16 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  It will be interesting to see how the freshman does. He may be effective even at a light weight.

Ross is a crazy good shooter and can hit from well beyond the three point line. At 6'7", he's going to be a nightmare to cover. Listen to the interview from the article I attached. Beyond being a shooter, he said his best attribute is rebounding. Love to hear that! As much as I liked Boggs, he wasn't a rebounder. And we need that from our four spot.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 70shawk - 07-18-2021 06:12 AM

(07-17-2021 08:30 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(07-17-2021 05:55 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  I admit I have paid all most no attention to recruiting by any teams at all. I checked the roster and saw 1 guy who has size and a 6-8 kid who weighs 170-good luck with that. I didn't renew my tickets but still might make a game or two-just no interest in seeing CAA level basketball. Good luck to the Seahawks !

Got it. No knowledge about recruiting, no interest in CAA level basketball. So why are you posting your drivel here again? From every definition i've seen, you're nothing but a troll....

Troll with Mullet....

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...mp;amp;f=1]

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 07-18-2021 11:10 AM

(07-17-2021 05:51 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Still have 3 spots left in the 2022 class and we have four offers out to guys who are at least 6'8". Siddle isn't going to have more than three big men on the roster at any one time, so it will depend on who is still here in 2022. McGriff, Kelly and Samb should be here, so I wouldn't expect more than one big in this 2022 class.

Not sure what your problem but man you are one miserable human being.

Basketball Recruit Updates - B_Hawk06 - 07-18-2021 11:32 AM

(07-17-2021 05:51 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Still have 3 spots left in the 2022 class and we have four offers out to guys who are at least 6'8". Siddle isn't going to have more than three big men on the roster at any one time, so it will depend on who is still here in 2022. McGriff, Kelly and Samb should be here, so I wouldn't expect more than one big in this 2022 class.

I’d venture to say he post here because he’s local to Wilmington, has an interest in college sports in general, follows UNCW baseball fairly closely (more so than the great majority of our students, staff, and alumni).

He admitted he doesn’t follow recruiting that closely, but politely offered an opinion. There’s nothing wrong with that. He followed it up with “Good luck to the Seahawks!”

There’s times where we’ve all gotten into each other a bit, but I feel like the hit on Mullet here was a bit unwarranted.

Let’s give the “troll” thing a break for a while. Go venture around the other forums on this site if you want to see true trolling.

Stating a fact that a guy 6’8” and weighing 170-190 range is skeptical for CAA play isn’t far off the mark in my opinion either. Do we not remember how easily Boggs got pushed around in the 4/5 spot last year. Historically, CAA players playing the 4-5 need meat on their bones. Keith Rendleman was an exception to that rule, not the standard. Just my humble opinion on that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 07-18-2021 01:41 PM

(07-18-2021 11:32 AM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(07-17-2021 11:45 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  Why would he not have more than 3 big men at the same time ? Makes zero sense to me to not have tall basketball players. I get it that everybody plays pickup basketball now jacking the 3 ball but somebody has to rebound and maybe play interior defense . Even in a conference as weak as the CAA there will be big guys who play post offense. I checked the roster and right now they have one big man,maybe I am missing something here but one guy to play inside seems pretty iffy to me.

I’d venture to say he post here because he’s local to Wilmington, has an interest in college sports in general, follows UNCW baseball fairly closely (more so than the great majority of our students, staff, and alumni).

He admitted he doesn’t follow recruiting that closely, but politely offered an opinion. There’s nothing wrong with that. He followed it up with “Good luck to the Seahawks!”

There’s times where we’ve all gotten into each other a bit, but I feel like the hit on Mullet here was a bit unwarranted.

Let’s give the “troll” thing a break for a while. Go venture around the other forums on this site if you want to see true trolling.

Staying a fact that a guy 6’8” and weighing 170-190 range is skeptical for CAA play isn’t far off the mark in my opinion either. Do we not remember how easily Boggs got pushed around in the 4/5 spot last year. Historically, CAA players playing the 4-5 need meat on their bones. Keith Rendleman was an exception to that rule, not the standard. Just my humble opinion on that matter.

Randleman was also 220 BTW.....at least according to UNCW sports page for his Sr Year

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 07-18-2021 02:45 PM

(07-17-2021 11:45 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  Why would he not have more than 3 big men at the same time ? Makes zero sense to me to not have tall basketball players. I get it that everybody plays pickup basketball now jacking the 3 ball but somebody has to rebound and maybe play interior defense . Even in a conference as weak as the CAA there will be big guys who play post offense. I checked the roster and right now they have one big man,maybe I am missing something here but one guy to play inside seems pretty iffy to me.

Stating a fact that a guy 6’8” and weighing 170-190 range is skeptical for CAA play isn’t far off the mark in my opinion either. Do we not remember how easily Boggs got pushed around in the 4/5 spot last year. Historically, CAA players playing the 4-5 need meat on their bones. Keith Rendleman was an exception to that rule, not the standard. Just my humble opinion on that matter.

Dont really care if he knows recruiting or not. But "no interest in CAA level basketball" is troll level. So no, I won't let up. If baseball is his thing, we have an entire section on that. His basic contribution to the UNCW basketball thread is that we suck, our conference sucks, we will always suck and we should admit it and go to a lower level conference. Oh, and, good luck Seahawks! Dude has been trashing our program, coaches and AD as his only contributions. Give me examples of any postive posts about our basketball program beyond "The CAA sucks so you should at least compete".

You've sent EZU trolls packing for far less.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - SEA33HAWK - 07-18-2021 04:12 PM

(07-18-2021 01:41 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(07-17-2021 02:27 PM)82hawk Wrote:  By big men, I mean post players in the 5 spot. But he's not going to run a typical power forward and a center for the most part. I fact, if you look at verbal commits, none of our players or offers are to guys that are classifiesd as centers.

Staying a fact that a guy 6’8” and weighing 170-190 range is skeptical for CAA play isn’t far off the mark in my opinion either. Do we not remember how easily Boggs got pushed around in the 4/5 spot last year. Historically, CAA players playing the 4-5 need meat on their bones. Keith Rendleman was an exception to that rule, not the standard. Just my humble opinion on that matter.

Randleman was also 220 BTW.....at least according to UNCW sports page for his Sr Year

Rendleman came in his first year as a 6'6" guard. And skinny. He was closer to 170. He grew 2 inches and our strength and conditioning program did the rest. Ran into him recently. He is now closer to 250-260. And not fat.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 70shawk - 07-18-2021 04:43 PM

(07-18-2021 11:32 AM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  Let’s give the “troll” thing a break for a while. Go venture around the other forums on this site if you want to see true trolling.

I like The Mullet. Keeps things interesting around here.

But I agree...meat on the bones will be needed. That said, I think Coach is going for athleticism first. It's easier to pack on muscle in college than it is to suddenly become 'athletic'.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 07-18-2021 07:35 PM

Here ya 70’s. People just don’t get athletic overnight, but with Cookouts on both sides of campus, things can change. I would suggest a double combo with double FF and of course, a chocolate milkshake!

Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 07-19-2021 07:32 AM

(07-18-2021 04:12 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  
(07-18-2021 01:41 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(07-17-2021 05:55 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  I admit I have paid all most no attention to recruiting by any teams at all. I checked the roster and saw 1 guy who has size and a 6-8 kid who weighs 170-good luck with that. I didn't renew my tickets but still might make a game or two-just no interest in seeing CAA level basketball. Good luck to the Seahawks !

Rendleman came in his first year as a 6'6" guard. And skinny. He was closer to 170. He grew 2 inches and our strength and conditioning program did the rest. Ran into him recently. He is now closer to 250-260. And not fat.

Right , my point was though in his JR and Sr years when we needed him to rebound and he did, he had meat on his bones.
And i just found this from his Freshman year, he was 6'7 210 FWIW...
https://issuu.com/uncwsports/docs/2009-10_uncw_mbb_prospectus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - B_Hawk06 - 07-19-2021 11:07 AM

(07-18-2021 02:45 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(07-17-2021 02:27 PM)82hawk Wrote:  By big men, I mean post players in the 5 spot. But he's not going to run a typical power forward and a center for the most part. I fact, if you look at verbal commits, none of our players or offers are to guys that are classifiesd as centers.

Dont really care if he knows recruiting or not. But "no interest in CAA level basketball" is troll level. So no, I won't let up. If baseball is his thing, we have an entire section on that. His basic contribution to the UNCW basketball thread is that we suck, our conference sucks, we will always suck and we should admit it and go to a lower level conference. Oh, and, good luck Seahawks! Dude has been trashing our program, coaches and AD as his only contributions. Give me examples of any postive posts about our basketball program beyond "The CAA sucks so you should at least compete".

You've sent EZU trolls packing for far less.

Thanks for your opinion. 07-coffee3

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 70shawk - 07-20-2021 06:28 PM

https://phenomhoopreport.com/22-noah-ross-wanted-to-surround-himself-with-great-people-at-uncw/

’22 Noah Ross wanted to surround himself with great people at UNCW

Last week was a great week if you were a fan of UNCW and for the coaching staff there as well as they picked up two tremendous in-state prospects for their class of 2022. One of which was 2022 Noah Ross from Trinity Academy in Raleigh, as we recently provided a breakdown of his game: Click Here

But we also recently spoke to Ross to learn more about what into his decision and why UNCW was the place for him in the end. Check out what he had to say

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 07-21-2021 08:11 AM

Saw an interesting Image of Giannis as a rookie 196 lbs, and as a champion 242 pounds. Just found that interesting given our discussion. Interestingly, in his 196 pound pict, he didn't look that small.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 07-21-2021 09:18 AM

(07-21-2021 08:11 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Saw an interesting Image of Giannis as a rookie 196 lbs, and as a champion 242 pounds. Just found that interesting given our discussion. Interestingly, in his 196 pound pict, he didn't look that small.

I heard Greg Anthony talking about Giannis this morning and he said his transformation is because of Giannis' personal drive. Obviously, he's physically gifted and genetics play a part, but the transformation of his body is a testament to his work ethic. That said, I still think this championship is an aberration, but congrats to the Bucks for taking advantage. That isn't intended as a slight, but I still see a handful of teams that beat them with a healthy roster.

Also, we don't get guys for 8 years. I'm cool with the approach of recruiting skills that you can't coach, but I don't want to get carried away expecting major body transformation of every skinny guy we recruit.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 07-21-2021 09:22 AM

(07-21-2021 09:18 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(07-21-2021 08:11 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Saw an interesting Image of Giannis as a rookie 196 lbs, and as a champion 242 pounds. Just found that interesting given our discussion. Interestingly, in his 196 pound pict, he didn't look that small.

I heard Greg Anthony talking about Giannis this morning and he said his transformation is because of Giannis' personal drive. Obviously, he's physically gifted and genetics play a part, but the transformation of his body is a testament to his work ethic. That said, I still think this championship is an aberration, but congrats to the Bucks for taking advantage. That isn't intended as a slight, but I still see a handful of teams that beat them with a healthy roster.

Also, we don't get guys for 8 years. I'm cool with the approach of recruiting skills that you can't coach, but I don't want to get carried away expecting major body transformation of every skinny guy we recruit.
Obviously 45 pounds of muscle in 4 years is a reach, LOL, But going from 180/190, to 210, 220 at our level makes a huge difference.

Don't disagree about the Bucks, but man was it good to see all the super teams fall on their collective faces. Did you see the postgame? Giannis " I could have taken the easy way and gone to a super team and played a role, and won a title. But this is the hard way, we F'n did it" Absolutely love that he put that out there.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 07-21-2021 09:40 AM

(07-21-2021 09:22 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(07-21-2021 09:18 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  

Obviously 45 pounds of muscle in 4 years is a reach, LOL, But going from 180/190, to 210, 220 at our level makes a huge difference.

Don't disagree about the Bucks, but man was it good to see all the super teams fall on their collective faces. Did you see the postgame? Giannis " I could have taken the easy way and gone to a super team and played a role, and won a title. But this is the hard way, we F'n did it" Absolutely love that he put that out there.

Oh yeah, I agree. 215-220 is a lot different than 185.

As a Bulls fan, it's hard to pull for Mil, but Giannis is impossible to root against. Another funny part of the Anthony interview was when he was asked the question if this would change the outlook and perspective for Lillard. Is this the model that other teams will try to replicate? We have way too many talking heads. Will other teams look for extremely athletic guys that are 6'11 and can dominant games? Is Dame going to hit a growth spurt and grow 10" this summer, because that could definitely change the Blazers' fortune.

One thing it does expose is that it is really hard to build a championship around a SG in today's NBA. I don't see Booker being the main option on a finals team again.

Basketball Recruit Updates - B_Hawk06 - 07-21-2021 11:47 AM

I understand the size/weight connection with how this originally started and related to our recruiting, but let’s not get too far off topic here. This is our basketball recruits thread, not NBA in Off Topic.