CSNbbs
Basketball Recruit Updates - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Basketball Recruit Updates (/thread-727343.html)

RE: Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 09-12-2016 08:44 PM

(09-09-2016 03:43 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Not true, Mullet. It's better to be a top student at, say, Maryland, than it is to be middle of the pack or low end student at an Ivy League. Students in the latter instance tend to lose confidence and not do what they love after graduation. Thus, that kid would miss out both academically AND athletically.

If you can EXCEL at an Ivy, do it. But it's not always a slam dunk. If academics are important to you, you always want to be a "big fish" at whatever school you go to rather than being a kid who struggled at a top school.

Hate to burst your bubble but that is total BS. A degree from Harvard will trump a Maryland playing card every single time. Just do a little homework on it.

Recruit Updates - Seahawk Nation 08 - 09-12-2016 09:05 PM

(09-12-2016 08:44 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(09-09-2016 03:43 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Not true, Mullet. It's better to be a top student at, say, Maryland, than it is to be middle of the pack or low end student at an Ivy League. Students in the latter instance tend to lose confidence and not do what they love after graduation. Thus, that kid would miss out both academically AND athletically.

If you can EXCEL at an Ivy, do it. But it's not always a slam dunk. If academics are important to you, you always want to be a "big fish" at whatever school you go to rather than being a kid who struggled at a top school.

Hate to burst your bubble but that is total BS. A degree from Harvard will trump a Maryland playing card every single time. Just do a little homework on it.

Read some Malcolm Gladwell and get back to me. I'm basing this on actual evidence.

RE: Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 09-13-2016 08:01 AM

(09-12-2016 09:05 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  

Read some Malcolm Gladwell and get back to me. I'm basing this on actual evidence.

Read whatever you but the money tells me that Harvard beats Maryland all day long. Get a Harvard degree and your ticket is punched. Go to Maryland and get a job working for the state.

RE: Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 09-13-2016 08:05 AM

(09-13-2016 08:01 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  

Read whatever you but the money tells me that Harvard beats Maryland all day long. Get a Harvard degree and your ticket is punched. Go to Maryland and get a job working for the state.
Two Maryland grads work with me at a fortune 500 company in very good positions. So, once again your theory isn't accurate.

RE: Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 09-13-2016 08:08 AM

(09-13-2016 08:05 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(09-13-2016 08:01 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  

Two Maryland grads work with me at a fortune 500 company in very good positions. So, once again your theory isn't accurate.

I understand that some of these kids will do well but the deal is different at Harvard as a whole and even you should be smart enough to get that.

RE: Recruit Updates - Seahawk Nation 08 - 09-13-2016 08:15 AM

(09-13-2016 08:08 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  I understand that some of these kids will do well but the deal is different at Harvard as a whole and even you should be smart enough to get that.

The point is that not every Harvard student ends up doing what they really wanted to do, NOT an argument that a Harvard degree isn't better than a Maryland degree.

Here's what tends to happen:

Step 1: Bright student is deciding between several great schools, and elects to go to Harvard. Student has a strong interest in chemistry.

Step 2: Student who goes to Harvard is no longer a top student in chemistry. In fact, he is near the bottom of the pack. Which, among the normal population, still makes him brilliant. But amongst his peers, he is uncomfortable.

Step 3: Student switches majors and becomes a lawyer instead.

Step 4: Instead of a brilliant Chemist (which we need more of), Harvard has spit out another lawyer. (Note: I mean no offense to lawyers, I am just saying we need scientists more right now).

If, alternatively, the student had gone to a lesser school and dominated there, he would have remained a chemist.

See what I mean? And this happens all the time.

RE: Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 09-13-2016 08:40 AM

(09-13-2016 08:15 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(09-13-2016 08:08 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  I understand that some of these kids will do well but the deal is different at Harvard as a whole and even you should be smart enough to get that.

The point is that not every Harvard student ends up doing what they really wanted to do, NOT an argument that a Harvard degree isn't better than a Maryland degree.

Here's what tends to happen:

Step 1: Bright student is deciding between several great schools, and elects to go to Harvard. Student has a strong interest in chemistry.

Step 2: Student who goes to Harvard is no longer a top student in chemistry. In fact, he is near the bottom of the pack. Which, among the normal population, still makes him brilliant. But amongst his peers, he is uncomfortable.

Step 3: Student switches majors and becomes a lawyer instead.

Step 4: Instead of a brilliant Chemist (which we need more of), Harvard has spit out another lawyer. (Note: I mean no offense to lawyers, I am just saying we need scientists more right now).

If, alternatively, the student had gone to a lesser school and dominated there, he would have remained a chemist.

See what I mean? And this happens all the time.

I get it but I am going on what happens more often for most students. The Harvard student has a much easier path to a high paying job that others. I am not picking on a Maryland or any other school but its just a fact. I would say focus is a huge factor but all thing being equal the Harvard grad would have a leg up on all most all other grads in landing that big job. Maryland might be a top 100 school,I have no idea but they are not in the conversation as a whole. No state school that I can think of would be in the top 25 .

RE: Recruit Updates - Seahawk Nation 08 - 09-13-2016 08:50 AM

(09-13-2016 08:40 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  I get it but I am going on what happens more often for most students. The Harvard student has a much easier path to a high paying job that others. I am not picking on a Maryland or any other school but its just a fact. I would say focus is a huge factor but all thing being equal the Harvard grad would have a leg up on all most all other grads in landing that big job. Maryland might be a top 100 school,I have no idea but they are not in the conversation as a whole. No state school that I can think of would be in the top 25 .

We're in full agreement with this. A Harvard/Ivy League degree carries a ton of weight and always has. From a career perspective it's second to none in terms of impact.

Where we differ is that I'd prefer to be a top performing student doing what I'm best at at a weaker school than majoring in something I'm not passionate about at Harvard. What you get out of your studies is far more important than WHERE you do your studies when all is said and done.

In other words, a future career isn't the ONLY or even the MAIN goal of higher education. I'll let Albert Einstein explain my views more succinctly:

"It is not so very important for a person to learn facts. For that he does not really need a college. He can learn them from books. The value of an education in a liberal arts college is not the learning of many facts, but the training of the mind to think something that cannot be learned from textbooks."

I think he would also agree that training the mind to think also trumps what kind of job you can get with your degree. College is about becoming a more well-rounded person, not just getting a good job.

RE: Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 09-13-2016 09:02 AM

(09-13-2016 08:50 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(09-13-2016 08:40 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  I get it but I am going on what happens more often for most students. The Harvard student has a much easier path to a high paying job that others. I am not picking on a Maryland or any other school but its just a fact. I would say focus is a huge factor but all thing being equal the Harvard grad would have a leg up on all most all other grads in landing that big job. Maryland might be a top 100 school,I have no idea but they are not in the conversation as a whole. No state school that I can think of would be in the top 25 .

We're in full agreement with this. A Harvard/Ivy League degree carries a ton of weight and always has. From a career perspective it's second to none in terms of impact.

Where we differ is that I'd prefer to be a top performing student doing what I'm best at at a weaker school than majoring in something I'm not passionate about at Harvard. What you get out of your studies is far more important than WHERE you do your studies when all is said and done.

In other words, a future career isn't the ONLY or even the MAIN goal of higher education. I'll let Albert Einstein explain my views more succinctly:

"It is not so very important for a person to learn facts. For that he does not really need a college. He can learn them from books. The value of an education in a liberal arts college is not the learning of many facts, but the training of the mind to think something that cannot be learned from textbooks."

I think he would also agree that training the mind to think also trumps what kind of job you can get with your degree. College is about becoming a more well-rounded person, not just getting a good job.
I agree with that 100% but I also hope that the really smart people end up at a school that challenges them to be the best. You just don't get those kids at UNC,Maryland,Michigan-all are fine schools.
Also on the money side,it is not what makes you happy but it does buy some cool stuff!

RE: Recruit Updates - Seahawk Nation 08 - 09-13-2016 09:05 AM

(09-13-2016 09:02 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  Also on the money side,it is not what makes you happy but it does buy some cool stuff!

For sure. As comedian Daniel Tosh says "Try to frown on a Jet Ski."

RE: Recruit Updates - Coast2Coast - 01-24-2017 08:23 AM

Any word on how the recruits are doing this year?

I found a few things on Clayton Hughes. This kid could be really good!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J_ea1kvGL8

http://hargravesports.com/news/2016/12/2/postgraduate-basketball-tigers-sail-past-guilford.aspx

RE: Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 01-24-2017 08:40 AM

(09-13-2016 08:40 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  No state school that I can think of would be in the top 25 .

UVA, UNC, Michigan, a probably a couple from the Cal system are probably top 25. Not Harvard or Princeton, but top 25 nevertheless.

RE: Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 02-02-2017 09:37 AM

Any news about Trae Bryant,played at Hoggard,UNCA and now at Cape Fear? Heard some talk about him going to UNCW-not sure they would offer him.

RE: Recruit Updates - Dash Rip Rock Jr - 02-02-2017 10:26 AM

I know Keatts has been over to a CFCC game to see him play

RE: Recruit Updates - Seahawk Nation 08 - 02-02-2017 10:29 AM

I've seen him play at CFCC numerous times. He definitely has the look of a D-I player, and Coach Mantlo tries to run a fast-paced scheme with a lot of fullcourt pressure. He's listed as a point guard but he's more of a combo guard who can slash and shoot.

CFCC has sent several players to D-I programs. Anthony Vanhook, a Senior forward for Charlotte, came from CFCC. He's started 15 games for them this year and is putting up 9.8 points and a team-leading 6.2 rebounds per game with the 49ers.

RE: Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 02-02-2017 11:42 AM

I know Keatts saw him at Hoggard and passed at that time,just wondering what has changed since then. He went to UNCA and got some PT but left along with the other freshmen-seemed like a really good fit for him. Maybe he is a walkon at UNCW? I have seen him quite a bit,he can score but not a real good defender. I agree-not a pt guard but might play a little pt at times.

RE: Recruit Updates - Seahawk Nation 08 - 02-02-2017 11:53 AM

(02-02-2017 11:42 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  I know Keatts saw him at Hoggard and passed at that time,just wondering what has changed since then. He went to UNCA and got some PT but left along with the other freshmen-seemed like a really good fit for him. Maybe he is a walkon at UNCW? I have seen him quite a bit,he can score but not a real good defender. I agree-not a pt guard but might play a little pt at times.

Walkon would make sense given how much depth we have at guard, even after Denzel, Chris and Ambrose are gone after the season. Bryce, Talley, Ty Taylor, Fornes, Richmond, plus our 4 incoming freshmen/JUCO's at SG/SF....no room for Bryant to take up a scholarship there.

And yes, he'd have to put in a lot of work to play CAA-caliber defense.

RE: Recruit Updates - B_Hawk06 - 02-02-2017 12:02 PM

(02-02-2017 11:53 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 11:42 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  I know Keatts saw him at Hoggard and passed at that time,just wondering what has changed since then. He went to UNCA and got some PT but left along with the other freshmen-seemed like a really good fit for him. Maybe he is a walkon at UNCW? I have seen him quite a bit,he can score but not a real good defender. I agree-not a pt guard but might play a little pt at times.

Walkon would make sense given how much depth we have at guard, even after Denzel, Chris and Ambrose are gone after the season. Bryce, Talley, Ty Taylor, Fornes, Richmond, plus our 4 incoming freshmen/JUCO's at SG/SF....no room for Bryant to take up a scholarship there.

How big is he?

RE: Recruit Updates - Seahawk Nation 08 - 02-02-2017 12:22 PM

(02-02-2017 12:02 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  How big is he?

Not big enough to be a non-PG in Keatts' system, I'd say, since he needs his guards big to attack the glass, defend the perimeter and create mismatches. Bryant is probably 6-1 or 6-2, and not built to play "bigger" like Ambrose Mosley is at 6-2.

RE: Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 02-02-2017 01:40 PM

(02-02-2017 12:02 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 11:53 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  

How big is he?

He might be 6-1 but athletic enough to play D1 but not sure about him guarding bigger 2 guards. Does UNCW have a scholarship to offer? I would think they would target a big unless they have some big guys signed already.